walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Chochuills and Muscles

Chochuills and Muscles

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:37 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 27/02/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1210m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

(Ok, not many muscles on me but the ones in my legs are in no too bad nick ;).)

Got to the starting point about an hour later than planned but, with daylight until 6pm, I was not worried about time. The first 3km are pretty uninspiring along the farm track which does at least gain a decent amount of height.

Stob Diamh.jpg

Leaving the track and it was straight up the steepish SE ridge of Beinn a' Chochuill.

Lairig Noe and Cruachan.jpg

In the lee of the wind and early afternoon sun, the going was surprisingly warm for February (translation: I was sweating buckets :lol: ). Fortunately the views of Ben Cruachan were, frankly, superlative 8) .

Cruachan looking no bad.jpg

Once I'd reached the summit ridge, it was just a simple wander to the cairn. There was less snow underfoot than it appeared from lower down and crampons were not needed. There were great views S to nearby Cruachan, N to Loch Etive and Ben Starav and E to everything from Arrochar to Rannoch Moor.

Ben Starav area.jpg

Loch Etive to the sea.jpg

On my way to the bealach between the 2 Munros a hail shower threatened, but passed to the north :) .

ridge to Beinn Eunaich.jpg

After a quick break it was just a 45 minute pull to the summit of the second Munro. I met a family of 4 here - the only other people I saw all day (the benefits of an 11:30am start in winter :lol: ).

view back to Beinn a' Chochuill.jpg

Ben Dorain area.jpg

Ben Lui group.jpg

The descent was unusually enjoyable at a very easy gradient for most of the way, aside from a short section from the ridge back to the track.

Beinn a' Chochuill.jpg

From the track it was just a 25 minute walk back to the car in the warm afternoon sun - it felt more like April than February 8) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: Chochuills and Muscles

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:40 am

Super hot pics there :D :D

Its been such a fab weekend eh?
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:26 pm

Great report and stunning photos, looked back to pic a favourite but can't decide :shock: that must have been spectacular on the eye if it looks so good on a photo :mrgreen:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby potace » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:31 pm

Nice report & pics. I was not too far away on Stob Ghabar. Weather was superb, if a little windy. 360* views all round.
potace
Mountain Walker

Munros:205   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

Postby Rekrab » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:50 pm

Really cracking pics I've always wanted to see Chruchan it was my 50th but was done in cloud and never got to see what it looked like until now.

Mackenzie,
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby soulminer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:16 pm

Fine report and pics :)
Will be visiting these two in the near future, as the first time was claggy and snowing. Did not have a camera- Munros 6 and 7 :).
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:56 pm

Some very nice photos of Cruachan you have there Leithy,makes me think I will need to go have a wee closer look at Cruachan very soon :)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland