walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A' Chralaig & Mullach Fraoch Choire

A' Chralaig & Mullach Fraoch Choire

Postby chieftain41 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:45 pm

Route description: A' Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire

Munros included on this walk: A' Chralaig, Mullach Fraoch-choire

Date walked: 28/07/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17.1 km

Ascent: 1253m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After my enjoyment of climbing my first Munro in 20 years, I decided to do a two day trip, with an overnight stay in Portree on Skye, witha view to doing Bal Bheinn the next day. My walking companion Brian and myself, set off from Inverness at 9.30am and were expecting a wet day on the Hills as the forecast was for heavy rain around Clunie. When we arrived at the Lay By on the Inverness side of Clunie Inn, the rain had stopped. Our fingers were crossed that it would stay of, which it did. At 10.50 we set off along the side off the main on the Inverness road and 300-400 yards on the left was a road off to the left. there we struck up the hill onto A Chralaig. Most hills give you a gentle walk in before it starts to get steep but this one went up steeply straight away and was hard going on the legs. After a while we reached flatter ground and we progressed our way up the ridge of A Chralaig, where the path was less boggyand easier to follow to the Summit with no scrambling involved whatsoever. The cloud cover was down so we were soon in the mist. at the summit there was a magnificent, huge cairn, so we stopped for lunch. At this point it was getting colder so the gloves were on and also the wind cheats. We descended towards Mullach froach Choire going down a few rocky bits, nothing scary as there were no sheer drops. The ridge then narrowed and luckily the mist was all around so we could not see the drops. As the cloud cover came and went we were given glimpses of the narrow ridge heading up to the summit. I had read about some of the rocky towers that had to be negotiated before the summit but each had bypass paths that we used although there was one part of the path that involved the use of the hands and a drop way down into the valley floor, even in the mist gave a squeaky bum moment. soon we were on the ridge to the summit and once again our view from the summit of MFC was obscured by mist. We retraced our path back along the ridge and the Squeaky Bum section was easier going down. Once past that bit we exited the ridge on a narrow section between the two summits. The path was easy to follow at first but then disappeared so we had to make our own route down to the valley bottom. We decided to follow the stream as the ground around was boggy. Soon we could make out a path that was heading back to Clunnie, path is a loose term as it was more of an animal track in places and very wet and boggy. Soon a more firmer track was reached and before long, we were back at the main road and at the Lay by. After a pint in the Inn it was off to Skye. Brian had done A Chralaig before but did not go as far as MFC but he said he was surprised by the quality of the walk along the ridge and had enjoyed it very much.
Photo0705.jpg
The Lay by with A Chralaig behind the trees.
Photo0707.jpg
Brian heading along the road, with the turn off ahead on the left.
Photo0708.jpg
The small wet path heading up the hill at the start.
Photo0717.jpg
The start was steep and hard going on the legs. Loch Clunie in the background and the Lay by can be seen at the trees. The Track off the main road was the descent track we took but for the Ascent we struck up the hill on the wee path 10-20 yrds in.
Photo0730.jpg
Finally level ground. A Chralaig in the background.
Photo0734.jpg
Looking back along the path.
Photo0736.jpg
The path up the ridge.
Photo0739.jpg
The summit covered in mist.
Photo0741.jpg
The summit reached in 2 hours. Huge summit cairn!
Photo0745.jpg
A few easy rocky out crops had to be negotiated.
Photo0749.jpg
Some nice ridge walking heading towards MFC.
Photo0750.jpg
Photo0752.jpg
Photo0760.jpg
Photo0762.jpg
The ridge heading up to the summit of MFC.
Photo0770.jpg
Brian at the top of the Sqqueaky Bum section.
Photo0773.jpg
Almost at the summit.
Photo0776.jpg
Brian at the Summit
Photo0777.jpg
Me at the Summit, Munro No 4 bagged. Time 3hrs 20 from start and only 1 hr 20 from the summit of A Chralaig.
Photo0782.jpg
The Squeaky Bum section on the way back.
Photo0783.jpg
Heading off the ridge on the descent path, small cairn marking the way.
Photo0789.jpg
Heading down to the valley floor.
Photo0793.jpg
We decided to follow the river down.
Photo0808.jpg
The animal track, boggy path back.
Photo0815.jpg
A better track to the finish, with Loch Clunnie in the background. Arrived at the car after 5hrs 51mins walking and 2 Munros bagged.
chieftain41
Mountain Walker

Munros:45   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: A' Chralaig & Mullach Fraoch Choire

Postby rockhopper » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:51 pm

chieftain41 wrote:The ridge then narrowed and luckily the mist was all around so we could not see the drops.
:lol: Have to admit to agreeing with you on this point...it's also a very positive way to view poorer weather conditions which we seem to get all too often. Certainly looked tricky in places. Looks like you're one of a growing band, ie stopped a decade or so ago and now taking it up again :thumbup:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mgmt! » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:11 pm

done this in november of last year in full winter conditions and thick mist, the pinnacles were too technical to attempt without the proper gear, and as for the "easier" bypass path, with only one walking axe it was definetly a squeaky bum moment.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby chieftain41 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:14 pm

rockhopper wrote:
chieftain41 wrote:The ridge then narrowed and luckily the mist was all around so we could not see the drops.
:lol: Have to admit to agreeing with you on this point...it's also a very positive way to view poorer weather conditions which we seem to get all too often. Certainly looked tricky in places. Looks like you're one of a growing band, ie stopped a decade or so ago and now taking it up again :thumbup:

I enjoyed it in the mist, It certainly gave the walk an atmospheric feel to it and also a feeling of isolation. The reason for taking so long to do my 2nd munro, was that for 20 years I spent most of my spare time playing football until I decided to retire, as one of my knees was giving me bother, so I resumed hillwalking!! Being active most of my life I needed something to keep me fit and would also quench my competitive nature, so munro bagging it was. I am now totally hooked and cannot wait untill the milder weather as I'm a bit of a fair weather walker.
Thanks for the comments everyone, I also did Bla Bhein and Slioch last year so when I get more time I will post a report for them with photos.
chieftain41
Mountain Walker

Postby ChrisW » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:13 pm

Great report and some really 'moody' shots in the mist :thumbup:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby chieftain41 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:56 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great report and some really 'moody' shots in the mist :thumbup:

Thanks Chris
chieftain41
Mountain Walker

Postby kevsbald » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:14 pm

Very prescriptive report. Thanks for this.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby chieftain41 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:53 pm

kevsbald wrote:Very prescriptive report. Thanks for this.

When I'm planning a walk, I like to see the lie of the land and reading reports which have a few pictures of the route helps give me an idea of where to go and any difficult parts there may be, so I thought I would help out others in the same boat as me, with my report and photos.
chieftain41
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland