walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First trip on my own, Nutberry Hill

First trip on my own, Nutberry Hill

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:06 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Nutberry Hill

Date walked: 27/02/2011

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 18 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After my dad told me he was going to Drumochter and there was no spaces left in the car I decided to have a look around locally to see what I could find. Not much :lol: I scroled through online maps and found Nutberry Hill. It is not a huge hill but it would be a trek from my intended start position to get to the summit. From muirkirk it is a relativley easy walk in which can be incorporated into other hills but I decided to tackle it from Coalburn. I printed off a map off the area and headed off at close to 11am (planned on starting at 7am but hangovers are horrible things :lol: ) The initial walk is on alot of tarmac roads and is what I would call "soul destroying" :lol: but the various forms of wildlife kept me very much entertained. I made much faster progress than I initially thought I would. From the map I could see a dirt track in the forrest which surround the hill so I made out to reach it. From Cumberhead (Cummerheed locally) The track goes more wild down into the Valley of the river Nethan in its infancy. There is a few derlict houses and farms on the trail which remind you of a very old and difficult, but simple, way of life. When I reached the bottom of the forrest I could see it had recently been harvested (in the past year or two) so I knew I didnt need to clamber through forrest. This was a trade off though as the harvested ground was boggy, full of dead wood and had alot of tree stumps which were difficult to climb through but again I found myself making good progress. Soon I found the dirt track and procedeed to follow it and go the wrong way. I blamed this on my decreasing head ache and tunred round and headed the right way. As this was my first trek/climb myself into a unknown area I was glad of the map which I looked at and checked every 10 or so minutes just to be sure. I followed the dirt track round to the foot of the hill but found it difficult to pick up a trail. I ended up walking through some hyeathery and boggy ground until I found a fairly distinct trail which I lesuirely followed until I reached the trig point and I was treated to some stunning views. I was at the top for 1.30pm and was surprised at the distance I had walked. Although the hill is only 522m, it is the biggest in the area and nothing blocks the views, plus it was a clear and beautiful day which aided the cracking views. After sitting at the summit for about 10 or 15 minutes and munching on my Lemon cake, cheese and onion crisps, caramel waffers and bottles of water and snapping some photos I decided to head off for what I felt would be a long walk back. I dropped down off the right of the summit and found a small cairn. I realised when I had went the wrong way I could just have climbed up the side of the harvested forrest and upto the summit, but wheres the adventure in that ? I re-traced my steps and found myself back in Coalburn in no time and before long was sat down to my dinner and the FA cup final :D

Leaving Coalburn

Can you see what I mean by soul destroying :lol: ?

Heading up towards Cumberhead

Almost at Cumberhead

Getting wilder

Approaching a derelict farm/house

Just walked up and out of the valley

Approaching another derlict farm/house

The hard climbing up the harvested forrest over with, tinto in the background

Onto the dirt track

Further into the woods and the dirt track

View across to Logan Resevoir from the summit

View SW from the summit, Goodhill Bush to the right

View of Tinto from the summit

Trig Point view

Me at the summit looking to the distance

The cairn which is off and down to the right of the summit, looking towards the Lowthers

It was a really enjoyable day and although Nutberry is not the biggest hill in Scotland its definatley well worth the walk and I would highly recommend it to anyone :D
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Re: First trip on my own, Nutberry Hill

Postby Graeme D » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:13 pm

Interesting stuff! Thanks for posting. I never imagined I'd see a Nutberry Hill report on here before I got around to tackling it myself. I plan to tackle it from the Muirkirk side as part of a larger trip back down memory lane sometime (hopefully this summer) taking in Middlefield Law, Cairn Table (which I have climbed many times before but they were all a long time ago!) and hopefully even Kirkland Hill near Kirkconnel. My maternal grandparents used to live in Muirkirk and I spent many a happy fortnight or so of the school summer holidays there. It was my grandfather and the Muirkirk Moors that gave me my love of walking and wide open spaces. 8) I think I even caught my first brown trout in the Greenock Water out the Strathaven road! Thanks again. :)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:23 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:Interesting stuff! Thanks for posting. I never imagined I'd see a Nutberry Hill report on here before I got around to tackling it myself. I plan to tackle it from the Muirkirk side as part of a larger trip back down memory lane sometime (hopefully this summer) taking in Middlefield Law, Cairn Table (which I have climbed many times before but they were all a long time ago!) and hopefully even Kirkland Hill near Kirkconnel. My maternal grandparents used to live in Muirkirk and I spent many a happy fortnight or so of the school summer holidays there. It was my grandfather and the Muirkirk Moors that gave me my love of walking and wide open spaces. 8) I think I even caught my first brown trout in the Greenock Water out the Strathaven road! Thanks again. :)

Thanks mate, glad to see you enjoyed the report. You will have a great time searching out those hills again, its a cracking area. Are you a fisherman aswell ? Best of luck to you :D
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:40 pm

SouthernUplandKing wrote:Are you a fisherman aswell ?

I haven't cast a line in many a long year. In fact I only recently came across the old rods and reels when clearing out the shed.
Graeme D

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:04 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:
SouthernUplandKing wrote:Are you a fisherman aswell ?

I haven't cast a line in many a long year. In fact I only recently came across the old rods and reels when clearing out the shed.

You should get back into, Im a fisherman myself and its probably my favourite hobby :D
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:46 pm

Aaaaaah found my thrill.......on Nutberr....oh never mind :lol:

Great report and cracking pics, caramel waffers ooooooh yeah :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Graeme D » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:19 pm

ChrisW wrote:Aaaaaah found my thrill.......on Nutberr....oh never mind :lol:

Oh no! Paul, do something! Quickly! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Postby soulminer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:31 pm

This one surprised me for an instant :o .Nice wee report.
Hadn't been in Muirkirk since school days at Cumnock Academy. Spent a lot of time wandering the hills around New Cumnock in my youth, Black Craig, Corson Con and the Dalhannas' etc - :lol: and also a wee bit o' fishing as well
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:49 pm

Cheers for the kind words folks :D
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:23 pm

Returned to Nutberry today. Took my dad with me this time and there was plenty snow lying on the hill which made the going quite tough but it was an enjoyable day. Unfortunatley i forgot my camera so no pics to report :( What I learned ? I need better and more waterproof boots :lol:
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby MacAoidh » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:03 pm

When I did Nutberry Hill it was from the Muirkirk side; I parked at (NS698299) the start of the track which leads to Priesthill and the Martyrs Grave http://www.covenanter.org.uk/JohnBrown/and then over Priesthill Height to Nutberry Hill. My return route was by Leaze Burn to join the track above Dippal Burn, which leads to the B743 at Head of Greenock Water; from there I went up Middlefield Law and then back to my starting place.
My Route http://www.corbetteer.co.uk/public/drawmap.php?un=macaoidh&rn=Muirkirk
MacAoidh

Munros:282   Corbetts:93
Fionas:106   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:65   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:6   

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:42 am

Its a great little hill that I intend to link up into a nice big circuit over a weekend during the summer. Take the tent and see where I end up :D From the top you on a clear day you get as good a view as anywhere and I think this little hill proves and those that surround it proves size really doesnt matter :)
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland