walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bidean nam Bian (Retro)

Bidean nam Bian (Retro)

Postby houdi » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:30 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 27/12/2008

Time taken: 8 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is a retro walk from December 2008. My first ever Glen Coe Munro and only my fourth Munro overall. I drove across from Fife early in the morning. It was minus six in Glen Devon and similarly in Glen Coe, but it was a crisp clear dry day with not a cloud in sight.

Ascended via Coire nan Lochan and then up to the left of the waterfall to get a close up view of the rock face of Stob Coire nan Lochan. From the three (frozen) lochans I went up on the right hand side as it looked more interesting with good photo opportunities out towards Loch Linnhe.

As you can see from the pics the snow wasn’t as bad as recent winters. There is hardly any on the summit of the Ben. I had no crampons or ice axe and didn’t encounter any problems on the way up. In fact it was so warm up top (completely still) that I took my jacket off at one point. Freezing cold back down in the valley though and the burns were starting to ice up.

Obviously it was impossible to get down into the Lost Valley from the bealach between Bidean and Sgreamhach without serious winter equipment. It was a solid ice wall. Had to go over Ben Fhada instead and down into the Lairig Eilde where there is a good path all the way back to the road. Ice on most of the rocks made the descent from Ben Fhada quite tricky and, to be honest, the ridge on the right from Sgreamhach down into the Lairig Eilde (there is a 778m spot height marked on the map but no names) looked the better bet. The following day I had a quick look in the Lost Valley before crossing the road and doing the Aonach Eagach which was covered in hard frost but I managed it in walking boots quite easily. Only a couple of photos though as my camera packed up on me. Frostbite I think.

Bnb1.jpg
Coire nan Lochan

Bnb2.jpg
The Chancellor on Am Bodach

Bnb3.jpg
Stob Coire nan Lochan

Bnb4.jpg
Loch Leven & Loch Linnhe

Bnb5.jpg
Beinn ‘a Bheithir

Bnb6.jpg
Stob Coire nam Beith

Bnb7.jpg
The Ben across the Aonach Eagach

Bnb8.jpg
Beinn ‘a Bheithir & Loch Linnhe

Bnb9.jpg
Bidean

Bnb10.jpg
Bidean from Stob Coire nan Lochan

Bnb11.jpg
Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Bnb12.jpg
Glen Coe peaks across Ben Fhada

Bnb13.jpg
The 4000ers across the Aonach Eagach

Bnb14.jpg
The Mamores peaks

Bnb15.jpg
A distant inversion

Bnb16.jpg
Sgreamhach and the Glen Coe peaks

Bnb17.jpg
And a closer viewpoint

Bnb18.jpg
Stob Coire nan Lochan and beyond

Bnb19.jpg
Coire Gabhail (The Lost Valley)

Bnb20.jpg
Approaching Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Bnb21.jpg
And a closer view

Bnb22.jpg
Bidean nam Bian

Bnb23.jpg
In the Lost Valley (the following day)

bnb24.JPG
A frozen Aonach Eagach
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Re: Bidean nam Bian (Retro)

Postby Stretch » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:34 pm

Cool stuff Houdi, especially that last shot of the AE. Shame about your camera though. Oddly enough, Bidean was my 1st Glencoe and 4th overall munro as well - still my favorite hill to this point.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Bidean nam Bian (Retro)

Postby houdi » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:40 pm

So we have something in common, eh Stretch? Know what you mean about Bidean. I'd done Beinn Glass, Ben Lawers, and the Tarmachan Ridge previous to this but on Bidean I had the feeling of being on a 'real' mountain for the first time.

Was annoyed about my camera for a while, but I've been over the Aonach Eagach three times since then so it doesn't bother me now. Will post a decent AE report soon.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland