walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond

Ben Lomond

Postby dansound » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:21 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 26/02/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12.4 km

Ascent: 1052m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well...

first Munro and loved it!

Work up early, ready for being picked up by a friend at 6:30, then off to meet more friends at hearthill on the M8 before going to Ben Lomond.

Arrived around 8:30...well some of us did...waited around for the others to arrive just before 9am.

Weather could not have really been better, a sharp 7degrees but little wind and dry :-)

Started the walk and 6 of the 8 started to make very quick progress(they are in training for the 3 peaks this year)and the other 2, me included took a more sedate pace to enjoy the views.
Couple of tricky parts to start of with, mainly due to a couple of fallen trees, but once past them it was fine until the snow started to cover the track and we decided to go straight up and miss the path for a bit, was heavy going!
around 2000 feet the snow was getting really deep in places and took a fair bit of energy to get through.
Progress was good and made the sumit in just under 3 hours.
Views were spectacular, although every changing! one min, 10foot visibility, next min100miles in all directions :-)
Felt pretty good making it to the top of my first munro and made good progress down, brief downpour of snow and then started to see a lot of interesting sights!
mountinbiker at around 2500 feet, topless man at around 2000 feet, family all with wellies on at around 1500feet and a chatty bunch of foreign students at 500 feet who asked "will this path take us to the top of that hill" & "how long is it going to take" hope they all made it back safe, a though i don't think skateboarding trainers or knee high boots were a good idea for them :shock:

Got down and went for a well deserved lunch :-)
Slept rather a lot that afternoon!!

here is a link to my GPS download http://connect.garmin.com/activity/70227681
Attachments
22.jpg
me at the Top :-)
21.jpg
20.jpg
19.jpg
18.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
15.jpg
14.jpg
13.jpg
12.jpg
11.jpg
10.jpg
9.jpg
8.jpg
7.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
dansound

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Ben Lomond

Postby yokehead » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:34 pm

Fantastic, many congrats and well done on your 1st Munro and I bet it won't be the last! :) A superb and memorable set of photos there, you did get some wonderful changing conditions 8)
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby fingeez » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:13 pm

Glad to see you enjoyed it Dan :)

Nice report, def some changing weather as is the nature of scotland lol

im guessing thats the hook firmly set, and we'll be seeing plenty more reports this year :D

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:11

Postby skuk007 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:57 pm

Congratulations on your first Munro, no going back now you've started.
Some good pics there too. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby allister3 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:21 pm

well done on you`re first hill,you got good view`s,that was my first as well and we did`nt see much for the cloud`s,where next ?

allister3
allister3
Hill Bagger

Munros:10   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:37 pm

Hello mate, congrats on your first Munro and a cracking report ! What was the snow conditions like up there as Im thinking of going and doing it myself this weekend but I dont have crampons or an Ice axe ?
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby dansound » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:45 pm

thanks for the Kind words.

allister3 - this weekend coming is Ben Chonzie as we are a bit tight on time this weekend and it looks like it should still stretch the legs.

SouthernUplandKing - as long as there has been no snow this week you won't need crampons or an axe. it's hard going in places as the snow that was there last week was deep and wet in places.

as you can read in my report, there were all sorts of casual walkers out :)

Cheers,
Danny
dansound

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:48 pm

dansound wrote:SouthernUplandKing - as long as there has been no snow this week you won't need crampons or an axe. it's hard going in places as the snow that was there last week was deep and wet in places.

as you can read in my report, there were all sorts of casual walkers out :)

Cheers,
Danny

Cheers for that mate, I'll probably make the trip up if my dad fancies it :)
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby BadEgg » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:18 pm

Well done :D

Was my first (and only) munro, you certainly got better views than I did when I was up there last July.

My view from the summit

BadEgg
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Postby adgent47 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:20 pm

Ben Lomond was my first Munro as well, we went up via Ptarmigan ridge and back down the tourist path. There was absolutely hundreds of folk when I was there though.
adgent47

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland