walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Tulaichean and Cruach Ardrain - tick, tick, tick!

Beinn Tulaichean and Cruach Ardrain - tick, tick, tick!

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:44 am

Route description: Cruach Àrdrain and Beinn Tulaichean

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 05/03/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12.6 km

Ascent: 1046m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having failed to complete this walk on 29th January 2011 due to weather conditions I was determined to get back to them as soon as possible.
MWIS report was inidcating 90% cloud free summit - either I read the report for the wrong region or MWIS got it completely wrong as visibility was "pea soup" for alomost the entire day! :lol:

So therefore no stunning panorama pictures in this report unfortunately (or in my case "very average" pictures :lol:

So we set off from the farm at Inverlochlarig at around 0845. The "we" being my mate Kevin, myself and Ruby as usual
P3050174.JPG
Here we go!

Now my map reading skills are not great (getting better) however I did have my Garmin etrex and one way or another I was determined to get to the top today. We traversed across the hill trying to pick our way up or find some signs of life. After a long long time we finally hit the path thanks to Ruby the great tracker dog!
P3050179.JPG
found the path at last!!!

Once on the path the walk to the summit was straight forward. We got to the cairn took some pictures offered congratulations and then realised we were at the wrong one!
P3050180.JPG
wrong one!
P3050182.JPG
wrong one!
P3050184.JPG
Beinn tuliachean - the right one!
P3050185.JPG
Beinn tuliachean - the right one!

Beinn Tuliachean - tick

After a quick drink and a bite to eat we set off towards Cruach Ardrain. By now the route was becoming quite busy and a few discussions with various other walkers would suggest support for a potential collective greviance against MWIS! :lol: :lol:

So after around 40 minutes we reached Crauch Ardrain - Tick
P3050187.JPG
Cruach Ardrain
P3050190.JPG
Ruby waiting for her treat :-)

And then just as we were getting ready to head back we got the only glimpse of blue sky all day!
P3050191.JPG
P3050192.JPG

Heading back we had planned to drop down to pick up the path at approx NN413204, however the slopes still had a fair bit of snow and were very steep so we opted for the safer decision which was to go back the way we came via Beinn Tuliachean summit. I hqave to say climbing this summit for a second time was not nice and not in the plan!

Beinn Tuliachean Tick Tick...

This did however give us the giggle of the day. Another dog showed up - he was completely hyper - and literally a minute before I had taken this picture had "marked his territory" against the leg of an unsuspecting fellow walker who was having a chat with someone!!

Are there Dog asbos?
P3050193.JPG
Ruby was not impressed! lol

A giant stone head with a flat top greeted us on the way down...
P3050196.JPG
P3050197.JPG
Stone head

Our route for the day - not very conventional bt it did the job

Very tired we reached the car around 415pm but with a sense of achievement. If only the weather had been kinder...
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by 2dalmatians on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Beinn Tulaichean and Cruach Ardrain - tick, tick, tick!

Postby allister3 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:15 am

congrat`s on getting there,we left the car park at 9,30,waited till the rain dropped,to head up to the bealach between more and bennein to get ben more this time round,the weather was totaly wrong,we seen no sun on our ascend and had to give in due to the never ending thin ice sheet and zero visibility at about 700m,was that people carrier your`s i seen the print off on the dashboard?,i did`nt know there was a path up to tulaichean,we went up on tues,straight up the south side then ardrain then descended to the east and straight up stob bennein,it was too late in the day to get to ben more,so we tried yesterday,trusting the mwis weather....

allister3
allister3
Hill Bagger

Munros:10   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:07 pm

Allister3 - yes that was my car you saw (with the MWIS print too!). I dont think there is a path all the way up Tuliachean but there is certainly a partial path which we picked up at about 650mtrs. It may be that the recent wet weather has camouflaged it? well done on the hatrick earlier in the week too! sounds like a tough day?
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Postby Bruadair » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:39 pm

Hi 2D's,

Good to see you got them conquered this time after getting so close at last attempt....Well done.

Regards.................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby allister3 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:43 pm

allister3 wrote:congrat`s on getting there,we left the car park at 9,30,waited till the rain dropped,to head up to the bealach between more and bennein to get ben more this time round,the weather was totaly wrong,we seen no sun on our ascend and had to give in due to the never ending thin ice sheet and zero visibility at about 700m,was that people carrier your`s i seen the print off on the dashboard?,i did`nt know there was a path up to tulaichean,we went up on tues,straight up the south side then ardrain then descended to the east and straight up stob bennein,it was too late in the day to get to ben more,so we tried yesterday,not the pathwaytrusting the mwis weather....

allister3
allister3
Hill Bagger

Munros:10   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:18 pm

Cheers Bruadair. Ironically it was a much better day the last time, only the ground conditions were treacherous.
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Postby rockhopper » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:51 am

well done on completing them this time despite the weather conditions :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland