walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Clachlet Traverse - Black Mount Range (updated)

Clachlet Traverse - Black Mount Range (updated)

Postby dooterbang » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:03 pm

Route description: Creise and Meall a'Bhùiridh from the Ski centre

Munros included on this walk: Creise, Meall a' Bhùiridh, Stob a' Choire Odhair, Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 05/03/2011

Time taken: 9.15 hours

Distance: 20.6 km

Ascent: 2249m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

All week i had planned to do Meall a'Bhuiridh and Creise, then on my way home take in Ben Challum. On Friday the forecast from MWIS predicted 90% chance of cloud free Munros :D , it was change of plan time!. My group was doing the Clachlet Traverse in the Blackmount Range so i thought i would join them and make it an epic day, with a forecast like that i wanted to stay out all day. Two of these Munros, Stob a'Choire Odhair & Stob Ghabhar, i had did in November solo.

We parked a couple of cars at the finish and drove back to Victoria Bridge, we started walking at 9am.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

200M North of the carpark you head West on a landrover track for 2K, take a right at the green hut and follow the distinct path NW for another 2K. This should bring you to the SW ridge of Stob a'Choire Odhair, 770M ascent now lies ahead :)

We headed up the ridge, this was tough going for some. The weather was not as forecast with cloud below 500M and a constant drizzle showering us, but it was warm as now wind....don't think any views to be had today, or photos :(

We got to the Summit of Stob a'Choire Odhair in 2hrs. Quick bite to eat and we headed West to Stob Ghabhar

The ascent onto the Aonach Eagach ridge was steep, we had snow and some ice underfoot but only an ice axe was required....still no views!

I was curious to see how this short ridge section would present itself as when i did it in November it was covered in fresh snow, a sqeaky bum moment for me back then :shock:
The ridge had very little snow and presented no difficulties at all.

Stob Ghabhar was reached in 4hrs - we had a 30 min lunch break.

The next part of the walk was virgin territory for me, and for all of us. We would have to take care with route planning.
Gordon had a GPS which we used a few times just to clarify our position.

We headed North for 1.5k along the Aonach Mor ridge then NW for 600m. The GPS confirmed our position and we took a NE line down to the Bealach Fuar Chathaidh.
At this point the skies cleared and we got some welcome views - Clach Leathad, and its SW face, lay ahead....it looked rather steep :?

The cloud came again and it was a relentless slog up to Clach Leathad - Gordon and I relished the physical challenge :)

Soon everyone was at the summit of Clach Leathad....."is this the 3rd Munro" nope!

We knew we had enough daylight to finish this so from now we took it easy.
From Clach Leathad its a straight Line North 1.5k to Creise

It was time for some sillyness in the snow.....

Creise now in sight and soon reached

From Creise head back South 500M along the ridge and take a direct line East to Meall a'Bhuiridh

This was a nice little climb to the summit. Again we stopped for a quick fuel top up.

We now had just over 2k NE to the car park at the ski centre, all downhill :)
Some fun was had sliding down the Piste

We had heard stories of an ice axe murderer at the bottom of the piste....
To be continued.... :shock:

At 6.15pm we hit the car park. We drove back to Victoria car park for the other cars. At 7.15pm we enjoyed a beer in the Bridge of Orchy Hotel. I got home at 9.15pm.

Although the weather was crap this was a hugely enjoyable day in good company, well done everyone :D

Ascent to Aonach Eagach Ridge
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly3D1YIy9oM&hd=1[/youtube]
Last edited by dooterbang on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Clachlet Taverse - Black Mount Range

Postby allister3 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:23 pm

brilliant,that`s what you call great walk and picture`s,would love to do that
allister3
Hill Bagger

Munros:10   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby dooterbang » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:26 pm

allister3 wrote:would love to do that

Join a club Allister and your dreams will come true :D :D :D :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:30 pm

Helluva walk with some bloody steep ascents by the lok of it, and some great pics even though the weather wasn't quite what you expected - enjoyed this - thanks for posting :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby malky_c » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:58 pm

Nice walk - have always had plans to do a long traverse around these parts, but haven't done it yet. Also the weather doesn't look completely rubbish, even if it wasn't what you'd hoped for.

Good long day as well. I've been looking at a couple of long routes for the Cairngorms next weekend, but they may be a little overambitious...or maybe not!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby dooterbang » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:05 pm

malky_c wrote:Nice walk - have always had plans to do a long traverse around these parts, but haven't done it yet. Also the weather doesn't look completely rubbish, even if it wasn't what you'd hoped for.

Good long day as well. I've been looking at a couple of long routes for the Cairngorms next weekend, but they may be a little overambitious...or maybe not!

Weather was ok apart from lack of views, was nice to walk in. Just had a baselayer on most of the day.

If these walks have escape routes then i'm sure it will be fine :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Re: Clachlet Traverse - Black Mount Range

Postby Del246 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:20 pm

Stunning pics, I cant wait to do something like this. Being new to this im working my way through the Arrochar Alps to gain experience before I move futher afield.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:33 pm

Looks like a lot of hard work!! Well done!! :)
pollyh33

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:14 pm

Another fine report doots,you are fairly racking up your munro count
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:01 pm

Nice trip dooterbang - at least you got some good weather during the day. 8)

A wee query - everyone seems to cross the Aonach Eagach ridge from East to West - from what you've seen, could you tell me whether it would be any harder going West to East please ?
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mgmt! » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:19 pm

always fancied this traverse and its on my to do list, the fact it links two pubs, the inveroran and kingshouse hotels makes it even more attractive, the aonach eagach ridge can be walked in either direction but on an west to east traverse the decent down from the aonach eagach into the bealach with stob a choire odhair is steep.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby yokehead » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:00 pm

Cracking report in all respects, a long day and a great time for the distance and ascent involved. The thought of that pint pulling you on? 8) The MWIS seem to have got their percentages a bit awry for a number of folk recently though! :) I've climbed Meall a'Bhuiridh and Creise but still fancy this full traverse, a classic mountain day.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby PauloUK77 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:03 pm

Great photo's there although the weather does not look fantastic you have some moody shots.I love being on high ground in those conditions.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Postby soulminer » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Did the same walk,but in reverse with Paisley Hillwalking club.Not in the same conditions underfoot though :)
Cheer for posting.
soulminer

Postby dooterbang » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:05 am

rockhopper wrote:Nice trip dooterbang - at least you got some good weather during the day. 8)

A wee query - everyone seems to cross the Aonach Eagach ridge from East to West - from what you've seen, could you tell me whether it would be any harder going West to East please ?

Think mgmt has answered this. Didn't look difficult, and we did see 2 guys going to do it.

soulminer wrote:Did the same walk,but in reverse with Paisley Hillwalking club.Not in the same conditions underfoot though :)
Cheer for posting.

No probs :D is reversing it easier?

Paulo77, Yokehead, Gammy & Polly - cheers guys...and girl :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland