walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Outerside, Sail, Scar Crags and Causey Pike

Outerside, Sail, Scar Crags and Causey Pike

Postby Derek T » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:53 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Causey Pike, Outerside, Sail, Scar Crags

Hewitts included on this walk: Causey Pike, Sail, Scar Crags

Date walked: 05/03/2011

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1053m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a great half day walk in good weather. This route would more traditionally begin or end with Barrow but I ticked that off a few weeks ago so missed it out on this occassion.

The walk into the valley from Braithwaite Lodge to Barrow Door is a nice warm-up for the ascents to come. I tackled the zig-zag route up the east side of Outerside, a path that Wainwright describes as "charming", which must mean "very steep". From there I crossed the wet boggy ground on the west side towards the path up to Sail Pass. This is an interesting path for anyone who doesn't like steep drops to the side of the path. There is nothing difficult about it and the path is actually quite wide but it looks a little scary from the bottom.

Once at Sail Pass the route up Sail is a long pull up the zig-zags. This isn't the most interesting hill I've climbed and the summit cairn could do with some work as its really just a pile of 3 or 4 small rocks. The summit of Sail is the first view I had of the Scar Crags and Causey Pike ridge. These are great looking hills so I got myself back down the zig-zags as quick as I could and then up onto Scar Crags. You can't really appreciate these hills properly until you are on the next one and look back. The going along the ridge is good and the paths very wide and there is no real sense of being on a knife-edge when walking. Looking back at Scar Crags from Causey Pike is a great viewpoint, as is the view out to Skiddaw from Causey Pike summit.

I chickened out of descending the scramble down the nose of Causey Pike and returned back down the valley to Braithwaite.

A great walk. Here is the route and some pictures...

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Outerside.jpg

Outerside summit.jpg

Path to Sail.jpg

Zig-zag path to Sail.jpg

Sail's disappointing summit cairn.jpg

Scar Crags and Causey Pike ridge.jpg

Old mines under Grisedale Pike.jpg

Scar Crags summit.jpg

Scar Crags.jpg
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Re: Outerside, Sail, Scar Crags and Causey Pike

Postby Derek T » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:39 pm

I took this picture the following day ...

Scar Crags and Causey Pike from Newlands Valley.jpg
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Postby john923 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:53 pm

Grrr.. could have done with some of that blue sky when we were up a fortnight ago. Instead we had 4 days of clag which didn't seem to justify any reports. Nice pics.
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:12 pm

Well done Derek, its steep up Causey Pike, we did it for my 100th Wainwright, great views :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby skuk007 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:32 pm

Nice pics, good to see some without that cold white stuff!
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland