walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cat Bells, Maiden Moor and High Spy

Cat Bells, Maiden Moor and High Spy

Postby Derek T » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Cat Bells, High Spy, Maiden Moor

Hewitts included on this walk: High Spy

Date walked: 06/03/2011

Time taken: 4.2

Distance: 12.8 km

Ascent: 831m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my second walk of the day and I had saved the best for the afternoon as the forecast was for clear skies.

I parked in the small car park at Little Town in the Newlands Valley as I wasn't certain how far out I would walk and didn't want too far to come back if it started to get dark.

The ascent of Cat Bells from Little Town is a good pull up to Hause Gate and then onto the ridge path that runs between cat Bells and Maiden Moor. Cat Bells isn't big (1481ft) but punches above its weight when it comes to views. The sky was clear and Skiddaw, Blencathra and all the fells to the south, east and west were out of the clouds. This was the first day this year I have seen so many tops out of the clouds and the first time I have had the sun on my back. What a great day!

I followed the ridge route over Maiden Moor, which doesn't have many remarkable features (and not a single Maiden in sight!) and then on towards High Spy via Blea Crag Cairn with its spectacular view across Derwentwater. High Spy is easy to spot with its large cairn and from there I dropped down to Dalehead Tarn, which sits in a bowl of rocky peaks and forms a great little spot to devour your packed lunch in perfect silence.

I looked at the steep ascent to Dale Head and quickly decided I had had enough for one day so headed down the good rocky track that follows Newlands Beck all the way back to Little Town.

This is a great walk with spectacular views and options for turning it into a longer day by heading up Dale Head and onto the other, taller, fells that surround the Newlands Valley.

Will post some pictures later today.

Derek

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Re: Cat Bells, Maiden Moor and High Spy

Postby Derek T » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:19 pm

Little Town car park.jpg

Scar Crags and Causey Pike from Newlands Valley.jpg

Cat Bells summit.jpg

Cat Bells from Maiden Moor.jpg

Derwentwater and Blencathra.jpg

Derwentwater from Blea Crag.jpg

High Spy summit.jpg

Looking west from High Spy.jpg

Hindscarth and Robinson.jpg

Newlands Valley.jpg
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Postby tango » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:15 pm

DT great photos, looks like a good day, that photo of Causey Pike reminds me when i first visited it in 1997, I walked straight up that side of it!!!breathing out of my butt :shock: ,.map reading wasn't so good back then & i was fitter so i just walked up & down.. :lol:
tango

Postby MarkJ008 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:41 am

My Dad and I did an epic walk over this some years ago. We started from our hotel in Rosthwaite (name of which escapes me), and headed out along the Cumbria Way through Grange, eventually getting to the ferry landing stage at Hawes End for lunch. We then returned over Cat Bells, Maiden Moor and High Spy, dropping back into Rosthwaite through the old quarry workings at Rigghead. That's quite a place if you like that sort of thing.

A well earned pint was had on our return! :D

Great pictures by the way, what fantastic weather.
MarkJ008
Munro compleatist

Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:14   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland