walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stag & Clag

Stag & Clag

Postby jonny616 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:10 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 04/03/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1150m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had a walking day planned for either Thursday or Friday. Weather looked better for Friday untill Friday morning, but hayho. :)

Only my second solo outing so wanted something not to challenging, but with a couple of Munro's. Choice made prep done. Up at stupid o clock & left Glasgow 05:30. Lovely drive no trafic. As i parked the car noticed a stag in the field next to me. Closest i've been to one. On the hill for 07:30 with a quick call home to say morning to the kids. Set out along the track & had a slight altercation with a longhorn who did not want me on her track. Must have been the red jacket me thinks! :lol:
Followed track gradualy up untill the split then left for a few meters before stricking up hill. After about 15mins found the rough path & followed. No view & had been in damp clag since negociating my way past the longhorn. Quite hard going as fairly steep grassy slope & i had my winter boots on. Came out onto the main ridge, where the path to Eunaich is fairly clear. Notted the smooth round boulder for my return & headed along the ridge to a Chochuill. Very pleasent but still no view. Coffee & snack at the summit & off in the direction of Eunaich. Met a couple of guys at smooth round boulder, bit of bantter & continue on my way. Down to the bealach & up the otherside. this section of the path is a bit rockier which made for a pleasent change. Summit reached another coffee & snack & head for home. The path comes & goes so followed my bearing for most of the way, still no views. it does become clearer as you approach the drop off down to the track. OMG steep. As i decended my thighs were screaming, the guys from earlier had caught up & bounded gazzelle like past me whilst i huffed & puffed. Track reached had lunch & then stolled back to the car. Home by 4pm. A good day in spite the clag, pleased with my motivation to do & navigation in the clag. :D
DSC_0011a.JPG
DSC_0014a.JPG
Best view all day
DSC_0016a.JPG
Summit Beinn a'Chochuill
DSC_0024a.JPG
Summit Beinn Eunaich
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: Stag & Clag

Postby rockhopper » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:57 am

Glad to see someone else gets up as early as me when going walking :shock: :eh: :problem: :think: :lol: Great photo of the stag and I see you had almost as good weather conditions as me late last year...........I couldn't see anything either once away from the lower sections.

jonny616 wrote:e. On the hill for 07:30 with a quick call home to say morning to the kids.
:lol: :lol: had to laugh - if I tried that I'd get lynched when I got home as my kids wouldn't be surfacing for another few hours :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:05 am

Amazing how just a few days and different people can make such a difference to the same walk :shock: . I was up these 2 hills just last week in the sun and early spring warmth with an 11:30am start. Believe it or not, that is actually quite early for me :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby jonny616 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:28 pm

rockhopper wrote:Glad to see someone else gets up as early as me when going walking :shock: :eh: :problem: :think: :lol: Great photo of the stag and I see you had almost as good weather conditions as me late last year...........I couldn't see anything either once away from the lower sections.
jonny616 wrote:e. On the hill for 07:30 with a quick call home to say morning to the kids.
:lol: :lol: had to laugh - if I tried that I'd get lynched when I got home as my kids wouldn't be surfacing for another few hours :lol:

Hi Rockhopper
I couldn't see anything on the lower sections, just had brief views for about 10 mins at about 500m then nothing :lol:

I do like an early start, which i guess is were my kids get it from :lol: :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:34 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:Amazing how just a few days and different people can make such a difference to the same walk :shock: . I was up these 2 hills just last week in the sun and early spring warmth with an 11:30am start. Believe it or not, that is actually quite early for me :lol: .

Hi Leithy

Let me know when you are going out next so i can avoid the days after you. Fancy keeping that nice weather for yourself :lol:

Sometimes the afternoons are better, for weather, so a later start can be good, just does not suit me domesticaly :(
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby Merry-walker » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:28 pm

Very commited :lol:

Great report. Well done on your nav skills :D :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland