walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moel Siabod in the mist

Moel Siabod in the mist

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:37 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Moel Siabod

Date walked: 29/06/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello, we ventured to Snowdonia on saturday and spent the day in a rain and mist pocket while most people had good sunshine. We parked at Capel Curig and were to attack Moel Siabod at 872 metres from the east and take in the scramble. This meant passing the old quarry workings and buildings, a poignant reminder of past industry and people in this region. This was my second ascent, and we would return the way my husband and I ascended on the other occaision, to the north and the A4086. Not many good photos as the visibility was very poor :(
IMG_1787.jpg
Approach to quarry workings
IMG_1790.jpg
Quarry buildings
IMG_1791.jpg
Quarry buildings
IMG_1802.jpg
Reflections in the quarry pool

Despite the conditions the old midges were still after me and it was time to cover up my yellow jacket which they love and apply some more repellent.
IMG_1808.jpg
Those darn midges !

Visibility was so poor that we were struggling to find the trig point even when at the shelter which we knew from past visits wasn't that far away :? It took map, compass and GPS :lol:
IMG_1809.jpg
Lads try compass and GPS
IMG_1810.jpg
Summit views

Just before we reached the road and the Plas-y-Brenin Outdoor Center we usually get a great view of Snowdon, this was ours, and it was clearing at that :D
IMG_1817.jpg
View to Snowdon

It is said that from the summit one can see, without movement of the head, 13 of the 14 highest peaks in Wales. We could just about see one, that was ours :lol: , stay safe, Sue :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: Moel Siabod in the mist

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:09 am

I think I know the ridge you mean for the scramble. It's the one which, after you've passed a load of quarry workings, pools, tips etc. you come to a nice largeish llyn (lake) and the ridge starts just after that. There is a great choice of routes from not scrambling at all to quite stiff scrambles. I love that ridge and practice on it when I'm in Wales to get my confidence up for scrambling in Scotland and suchlike. The rock is so grippy in the dry. Bet it wasn't that grippy if it was a misty and drizzly day though. It's a nice route on a nice mountain that's for sure.
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:38 am

Hi MC, if I remember the last time you were there we were on Snowdon. It was that scramble and it was very slippy and I lost my footing several times. Here's to a better weekend coming, best regards, Sue :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:17 am

It's so humid today here that you'd slip anyway due to the excessive dampness without it even raining!
mountain coward

Postby johnovey » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:54 am

Hi Susan
We are off to Snowdonia in a couple of weeks. Looks like an interesting walk.
Do you have the waypoints of your route?
PS. well done on the past reports, they have made very good reading....keep up the good work!!!
Cheers
John
johnovey
Mountaineer

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:20
Wainwrights:1   

Postby susanmyatt » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:27 pm

Thanks for that John, my husband has put the route on a gpx file if that helps, if you don't want the scramble you can ascend and descend the same way, that is right out of Capel Curig until you reach the Plas y Brenin outdoor center and turn left down through the woods (our descent), good luck, don't forget to post the walk. Great views of Snowdonia's finest peaks :D

Moel_Siabod.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain tortoise » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:22 pm

Hi there
If you do not want to do scramble at Daear Ddu but want to go the same way as Sue you can go south around Daear DDu and pick up another path which then climbs around the back to the summit.
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Postby johnovey » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:26 pm

Thanks for that advice and the map of your route. I fancy having a go at the scrambling tho if its not too scary.....will probably follow your route up and see how we go
Will let you know how we get on.
johnovey
Mountaineer

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:20
Wainwrights:1   

Postby mountain coward » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:57 am

You can avoid nearly all the scrambling anyway and certainly don't have to do anything scary. If I'm having a very mountain-cowardly day I avoid the bad bits, otherwise I have a play on them. You really can make it as hard or easy as you like! :)
mountain coward

Postby mountain tortoise » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:03 am

Totally agreed with Mountain Coward, Siabod is great cos you can make it as easy or as hard as you like. The scramble is not that big a deal even I have done it lots of times and I do not do scrambles if I am going to hold others up being slow and all. :D
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland