walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Challum

Ben Challum

Postby robhutchinson » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:47 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 12/01/2008

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The usual route of ascent starts from Kirkton Farm in Strath Fillan and climbs fairly monotonous, and initially very boggy ground to gain the South Top of Ben Challum. The remains of St Fillan's Priory provide soom interest near the start of the walk, but after crossing the railway its head down all the way for the slog up the southern slopes.

However, on the day i tackled this route there had been recent heavy snowfall across Scotland. Deep snow combined with clear, sunny conditions tranformed my day into one of the most memorable winter days i've had. Throughout the ascent, the views over my shoulder to Ben More, the Arrochar Alps and Ben Lui were absolutely amazing.

The hard work was over on reaching the South Top and from here you cross a short depression to gain the connecting ridge which takes you easily to the main summit.

I was the last person on the summit that day and watched as other walkers began their descents silhouetted against the setting sun. I returned to Strath Fillan the same way and reached the car just as darkness took over - very cold, very tired, but very exhilerated!
Attachments
17022008 102.jpg
Descending from Ben Challum
17022008 088.jpg
The Arrochar Alps from Ben Challum
robhutchinson
Hill Bagger

Munros:21   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:71
Wainwrights:56   

Re: Ben Challum

Postby Scott69 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:14 am

That second pic Rob is excellent,very atmospheric 8)
Scott69
Munro compleatist

Munros:254   Corbetts:46
Fionas:8   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Gable Gable End » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:21 am

are there anymore of the photos?? lovely
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby MIKE LEVER » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:10 pm

PLAN TO DO THIS WALK LATER IN THE YEAR,YOU CAN'T BEET A WINTER WALK IN SCOTLAND.
A COUPLE OF GREAT PICS
MIKE LEVER
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:232
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland