walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Seven Uldale Fells

Seven Uldale Fells

Postby Derek T » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:10 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Brae Fell, Great Calva, Great Cockup, Great Sca Fell, Knott, Longlands Fell, Meal Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Calva, Knott

Date walked: 13/03/2011

Time taken: 6.3

Distance: 21.1 km

Ascent: 1200m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I completed this round today in mostly glorious weather with just a little snow in the air on the final summit.

I started at Peter House Farm and followed the Cumbrian Way to Dash Falls and then followed the steep path straight up the fence line towards the ridge below Little Calva. From there I just followed the path to Little Calva and then Great Calva. This part of the walk was a real drudge through some of the wettest ground I have walked across and was not enjoyable. The view of Blencathra and Skiddaw from the top soon made me forget all that and I set off back down the boggy ground towards Knott.

Knott doesn't seem to have an attractive side or any distinguishing features, despite being the highest summit in this range. I was soon on my way to Great Sca Fell and Little Sca Fell and then sat down to plan the remainder of my route now that I could see the other fells stretched out below me. I didn't want to have to re-trace my steps, which you have to do if you want to do all of these from the ridge, so went straight over Brae Fell and down to the base of Longlands Fell and climbed back up from there. After Lothwaite Fell I dropped down into a gully and then up onto the ridge of Meal Fell. This was one of the hardest parts of the walk but worth it to avoid going back up and over Little Sca Fell.

From Meal Fell I dropped down to the left to avoid the crag of Trussmadoor and then up onto Great Cockup. It was then downhill all the way back to the car whilst watching the incoming black clouds drop tons of snow on Skiddaw as I walked in the sunshine :-)

This is a great round if you can try to forget about the boggy bits.

Only the Blencathra round to do and that's me bagged all the Northern Fells :cool:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_5636.jpg

IMG_5640.jpg

IMG_5642.jpg

IMG_5644.jpg

IMG_5646.jpg

IMG_5653.jpg

IMG_5654.jpg

IMG_5660.jpg

IMG_5662.jpg
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Re: Seven Uldale Fells

Postby colgregg » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:49 am

That's been a canny day out with good weather too. I must explore the Northern Fells one day. I've only ever done Blencathra.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:49 am

Well done Derek, sprinting through them, are you in training for 2012 olympics :lol: we still have Calva and Bakestall in the Northern to do, loved the back of Skidda ones, keep going, thanks :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby Derek T » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:56 am

susanmyatt wrote:Well done Derek, sprinting through them, are you in training for 2012 olympics :lol:

Do they now have an event for over-weight, middle-aged men heaving themselves up a hill? If so, I'm in! :lol:

susanmyatt wrote:we still have Calva and Bakestall in the Northern to do, loved the back of Skidda ones, keep going, thanks :D
You could do both of those in one round from where I started but rather than go up Calva by the fence at Dash Falls just keep going along the Cumbrian Way and come up the other side. You can then follow the fence all the way to the summit of Bakestall and return to the car via the north end of Dead Crags 8)
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Postby tango » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:54 pm

Derek,nice photos..i was up in there last September..no views just low cloud!!!! :( . So its nice to see the Calvas i think thats what they are!! :) ..Holiday must be up soon??
tango

Postby Derek T » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:16 pm

tango wrote:Holiday must be up soon??
Not a holiday, unfortunately. I do a lot of traveling between home and Scotland so the Lakes are a convenient place to stop on a weekend to get some good walking in. Not sure when my next visit will be but I will slow down when the tourists start flocking in by the busload :wink:
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Postby tango » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:23 pm

Cool I thought you were on leave!!! because you had been banging out the reports recently..good for you. Im home in April i cant wait :D i have 2 top Dollar days lined up Dales & North Pennines.. :D .
tango

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland