walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

FROGGATT EDGE

FROGGATT EDGE

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:26 pm

Date walked: 06/03/2011

Distance: 18 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was fortunate to be invited to walk with some ex-mountain rescue men on sunday, a fine but cool day. We met at Grindleford Station for brekky, Mick and Fred had a two and a half hour drive from Lincolshire and Nick came from Stafford. Our route was south along Froggatt Edge before turning north along White Edge, and around the Longshaw Estate. they meet up once or twice a year to reminisce. :)
IMG_4996.JPG
Off we go
IMG_5006.JPG
Along the edge
IMG_5008.JPG
IMG_5009.JPG
Nelson's monument
IMG_5011.JPG
Ah, old times
IMG_5012.JPG
The gang, Brian, Nick, Mick and Fred
IMG_5013.JPG
IMG_5014.JPG
Who you looking at?
IMG_5017.JPG
Trig point
IMG_5021.JPG
You down there
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: FROGGATT EDGE

Postby stomper » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:12 pm

ahhhhhh Froggat edge fond memories of it great walk with great views :thumbup: :thumbup: yesturday i was round ladybower one of my favourite areas of the peaks. i now live in N Yorks but from time to time i make a visit to the peaks
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Postby JGKES » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:31 pm

I often get on to Froggatt Edge myself,usually starting on White Edge first from Owler Bar which is only 25 minutes drive from my home in Sheffield.On four occasions in the last 12 months I have encountered stags on White Edge,the most recent sighting being two on 11th Feb.One time I counted 10.White Edge has also provided me with one of the fiercest snow storms encountered in 40 years hill-walking which includes winter expeditions in Lake District and Snowdonia.On Friday 11 March last week I went on Bleaklow via Westend river and disturbed a white hare in the heather just below Grinah Stones,before proceeding to Alport Castles.I've been lucky with wildlife at the Castles;a few years ago I stumbled upon two peregrines on the path leading northward and was then treated to the spectacle of them gliding around about 30 feet in front of me.As for white hare I couldn't stop seeing them one February on the Dukes Road leading to Back Tor.There must have been a dozen sightings.I always like to visit that little stone circle when on Froggatt.
JGKES
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Hewitts:140
Wainwrights:214   

Postby icemandan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:27 pm

Another favourite spot, particularly the overhangs...but you need to walk a long way to walk off a Grindleford Cafe breakfast!
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:43 am

Yes but please keep to the menu :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland