walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

PARKHOUSE & CHROME HILLS - PEAKS

PARKHOUSE & CHROME HILLS - PEAKS

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:47 pm

Date walked: 13/03/2011

Distance: 13 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This morning was wet but by the time we had had brekky the sun was out and it was a lovely day. We started at East Sterndale and headed for the hills.
IMG_5027.JPG
Spring is coming
Our first top was High Wheeldon at 1384 feet, at least that's what the plaque says.
IMG_5037.JPG
High Wheeldon
IMG_5038.JPG
Brian and Nick
We could see the main tops in the distance.
IMG_5045.JPG
Way ahead
We then passed a farm and got chatting with the farmer who let me near his lambs that were born in the previous night, aaah!
IMG_5050.JPG
Come in number 7
we were nearing Parkhouse Hill
IMG_5057.JPG
We climbed up the steep ascent to Parkhouse
IMG_5067.JPG
Steep
On the top we could see the ridge and Chrome Hill beyond
IMG_5074.JPG
Ridge
IMG_5075.JPG
Chrome Hill to come
IMG_5080.JPG
Between the tops, back to Parkhouse
Now it was the climb to Chrome Hill
IMG_5082.JPG
Chrome Hill
IMG_5085.JPG
On the way up
IMG_5086.JPG
Looking back to Parkhouse Hill
IMG_5093.JPG
Followed these two all walk
We reached Chrome Hill summit and got a team photo thanks to two Notts students Chris and Julia
IMG_5106.JPG
Chris and Julia,thanks
IMG_5104.JPG
Lovely day
IMG_5111.JPG
On the way home
We followed the lanes back and had a great day in the sunshine :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: PARKHOUSE & CHROME HILLS - PEAKS

Postby JGKES » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:58 pm

It was ice on windscreens in south-east Sheffield at 0730 so I think we escaped the early rain you had.The morning weather on Stanage was glorious and it looked the same on your walk.You really couldn't ask for better.Attractive as the gritstone edges are they do not match the spectacular appearance of Chrome and Parkhouse hills.I did this pair on a lovely warm day last May starting at Earl Sterndale and walking in front of the peaks to Hollinsclough and then looping round on lanes via Stoop Farm to approach Chrome Hill from the north-west.It was fascinating to see the different perspectives of the hills.I don't know what your descent route from Parkhouse to Chrome was but the ascent of Parkhouse on my reverse route was one of the steepest I've ever seen in the Peak:I was clutching at tussocks of grass all the way up to the summit ridge.My one crit of these limestone peaks is the utterly delighful ridges are over too quickly.Very enjoyable reading your report and superb photo's.Must return soon and explore more of this area.Those snowdrops looked in full flower still.Every Feb.I visit Alstonefield to go via Dale Bottom and Hall Dale into Dovedale.There are snowdrops the whole way.
JGKES
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Hewitts:140
Wainwrights:214   

Postby icemandan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:59 pm

Is there access to Parkhouse Hill now? You used to have to launch a guerilla raid on it. These reef knolls are great little peaks and I don't know of anything like them anywhere else. Parkhouse in particular is like a shark's fin. Chrome Hill used to have a hole through the crest somewhere.They are certainly the most peak-like features in the Peak District. (Having said that, referring to Kinder et al as the Peak District is a bit like calling Antarctica the Palm Tree District!)
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby susanmyatt » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:12 am

No problems with access now, my second visit here, lovely area :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby JGKES » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:20 am

Yes,it is funny how the Peak District is so named when there are hardly any peaks in it.The name derives from an Old English word "peac" which means hill or knoll.
JGKES
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Hewitts:140
Wainwrights:214   

Postby smirnie71 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:39 am

Stunning photos and a wonderful report on an unexpected aspect of the Peaks.
Deeply intrigued and adding it to my wish list, those ridges are quite something! :thumbup:
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:24
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland