walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Ghaordaidh. Munro 35

Meall Ghaordaidh. Munro 35

Postby DJG78 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:02 pm

Route description: Meall Ghaordaidh from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 27/02/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 7.75 km

Ascent: 1039m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my shortest post. Why? because i couldnt see a thing from start to finish so theres not much to report. Visability was the worst ive experienced. I didnt want to waste the opportunity but really shouldnt have bothered as it was not an enjoyable hike. Very wet sideways sheeting rain even went through the goretex, howling gales and freezing summit temperatures were anything but fun. A steeper than expected ridge was tricky even with the crampons. I was amazed to pass 3 fellow hikers on my decent but i dont think they noticed me due to 10ft visability. Hill bagged but I wont be attempting many others in this kind of weather!

Feb 019.jpg

Feb 020.jpg

Feb 021.jpg
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Re: Meall Ghaordaidh. Munro 35

Postby yokehead » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:31 pm

Sorry, that doesn't look like the summit to me, you need to be about 50m further to the north. :shock: :? :(

Suggest you'll have to revisit for your no. 35. Sorry again, but the weather on MG is always like that. :(
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:44 pm

Certainly looks pretty horrendous DJ.
yokehead wrote: but the weather on MG is always like that.
Haven't been up this hill yet but looks like I'll need to take lots of waterproofs when I do :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Driver84 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:44 pm

DJ, i dont know if Yokehead is trying to pull your leg or not but that is the summit cairn, with trig point in the centre. There is nothing else up there...!
I was up there on the Saturday (26th) and had great weather, although a little windy.

Walk report to come but here's the summit.
P1050946mod.JPG

Driver84
Mountaineer

Munros:46   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby DJG78 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:06 pm

Cheers Driver84, i know its definetly the summit. I followed the walk report and used my garmin sat nav. Your right, theres nothing else up there. I even calibratd my sat nav using ordance survey before i set off. Yokehead must be confused. Thanks for the clear summit shot. Glad you got the views!
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Postby yokehead » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:54 pm

DJG78 wrote:Yokehead must be confused

Me, confused, certainly not! :? :?

Driver84 wrote:DJ, i dont know if Yokehead is trying to pull your leg or not

Compare the 2 summit photos, taken only 1 day apart I think. Clearly different, look how much snow in the 1 compared to the other. Pull your leg indeed! :( :shock: :? :wink:
yokehead

Postby Scott69 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:19 pm

Here is a Pic I took of the summit cairn last March,looking towards Ben More and Stob Binnien.
Photo127.jpg
Scott69
Munro compleatist

Munros:254   Corbetts:46
Fionas:8   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   

Postby DJG78 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:40 pm

yokehead wrote:

Compare the 2 summit photos, taken only 1 day apart I think. Clearly different, look how much snow in the 1 compared to the other. Pull your leg indeed! :( :shock: :? :wink:

Yokehead, im not sure what your on mate but just because two photo's differ due to snow cover doesnt mean its a different summit. I expect they look different due to vast snow melt in a day or so which was the case in that area at the time. There is only 1 trig point on Meall Ghaordaidh.
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Postby DJG78 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:41 pm

Scott69 wrote:Here is a Pic I took of the summit cairn last March,looking towards Ben More and Stob Binnien.
Photo127.jpg

Very Cool Photo!
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Postby yokehead » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:12 pm

DJG78 wrote:
yokehead wrote:

Yokehead, im not sure what your on mate but just because two photo's differ due to snow cover doesnt mean its a different summit. I expect they look different due to vast snow melt in a day or so which was the case in that area at the time. There is only 1 trig point on Meall Ghaordaidh.

Sorry DJG it was all just my (obviously very poor) attempt at a wee joke, hence the :wink: at the end of my previous post. :( It certainly got to you though! :lol: Sorry again! :oops:

Here's my summit photo, nothing could be seen much beyond the stone shelter surrounding the trig point.

mg5.jpg

Although it had looked like this earlier.

mg2.jpg

It was a good day out!
yokehead

Postby monty » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:15 pm

R you daft Yokehead Thats the wrong summit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done on getting out DJg78. The conditions look horrible :lol: We have all been there though. :D
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland