walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

kintail circuit

kintail circuit

Postby mgmt! » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:55 pm

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Meadhoin, Ciste Dhubh, Sàileag, Sgùrr a' Bhealaich Dheirg

Date walked: 11/03/2011

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1947m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

my club the lomond mountaineering club was having a meet in the kintail outdoor centre this weekend , so i decided to get up to kintail on the thursday evening with the plan on doing some munros. the forcast was poor with strong winds and rain snow showers, i set off from the outdoor centre at 9am and cycled up to glenlicht house, as i arrived at 9 30 the first of the showers blew in, i took refuge in the shelter at the side of the hut, the snow was blowing horizontal and i contemplated doing the walk at all. 5 minute later the weather lifted and i set off for saileag.
it was a steep pull up the west slopes of meall a charra and the wind was bearable as i finally got to the summit of saileag.the views were mixed with the south shiel ridge looking splendent yet anything north enclosed in mist. i didnt wait about and continued along the ridge towards sgurr a bhealaich dhearg, the snow showers were coming and going but they were not thick enough to hamper my visability too much, i cut of from the main ridge to access the summit of sgurr a bhealaich dheig, quite tricky on the fresh snow and quickly back to gain the ridge while the visability allowed.

i stopped at the next bhealach to get some soup and a sandwich before assending the third munro aonach meadhoin, my legs were getting tired as the fresh snow was really hard to walk on, ankle and knee deep it ferr takes it out of you. once at the top of aonach meadhoin i got a good view of the final munro ciste dhubh, it look ages away and really steep, the legs were really tired now and i contemplated heading down to the clunie inn from sgurr an fhuarail but hat would have meant having to go back up to glenlicht house to get the bike. so i set up the south ridge of ciste dhubh i was really feeling it on the soft snow and i was chasing a little weather window as i got to the top, quick picture, then found the path that takes you down the north west ridge to the allt cam ban.
i got to the river at 4 30 and had a drink and something to eat, thinking i only had an hour or so walk back to glenlicht house ! argh this walk was horrendous soft snow, inclines it just took forever, got back to the bike at 6 20 and was taking cramp on the ride back down to the outdoor centre. the centre is first class and i had a good long shower before settling down to dinner and fell asleep at the fire. one of the hardest rounds ive done, the soft snow high winds and rain, snow, mist took it toll but it was worth it for the views when weather allowed.
Attachments
P3110001.JPG
assent of saileag
P3110003.JPG
the sreath an fhraoch ridge from saileag
P3110004.JPG
ciste dhubh
P3110005.JPG
looking back at the sisters ridge from saileag
P3110007.JPG
narrowing ridge on decent of saileag
P3110008.JPG
summit cairn of sgurr a bhealaich dheirg
P3110009.JPG
summit of aonach meadhoin
P3110010.JPG
ciste dhubh, s south ridge
P3110011.JPG
sgurr an fhuarail and aonach meadhoin from ciste dhubh
P3110012.JPG
summit cone of ciste dhubh
P3110015.JPG
ciste dhubh,s north west ridge from the allt cam ban
P3110017.JPG
waterfall at the allt grannda

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by mgmt! on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Re: kintail circuit

Postby dooterbang » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:11 pm

Did this in reverse last month, started with a Corbett then onto Ciste Dubh. Our logic was that the hard work was out of the way 1st.

Good effort in the deep snow - a long day out there.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby mgmt! » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:47 pm

there must be a quicker way, but added some pictures of the route
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby dooterbang » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:07 pm

We started at Cluanie Inn taking in Am Bathach first. We had cars at the finish, this made it shorter.

I have a tr on here with the route.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:07 pm

Some good pics mgmt!... if they took ages to upload, it would be loads quicker for you if you could resize them to 640 pixels across before uploading, that way you won't have to wait to upload huge files. Something like Picasa can resize a whole folder of photos to the appropriate size in one go.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby yokehead » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:29 pm

Good to see some more of Kintail, having been there last month. :D

Like I replied to dooterbang, that's quite a round you did, especially in those conditions, great job and super photos! Like your Beinn Fhada weather conditions too. 8)

A simple way I've found for the resizing for uploading if you don't want to use another program, is to download from Microsoft (if you use Windows) and install the Image Resize powertoy. This is a tiny file. With this installed you then just right click on the original photo in your folder (or right click when you're viewing it in Windows Picture Viewer), choose Resize Picture and click on Large. This creates a separate photo. It is still a bit larger than the file that WH ends up showing but the file size is only around 100-200 kb so the upload is fast.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby mgmt! » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:21 pm

thanks for the advice yokehead will take on board, the way i do it is simple enough its just i seem to only be able to upload about 4 photos then need to submit them or my time seems to run out, thats maybe because im editing them, anyway i dont tend to take to many photos or post much it was the fact i was home early sunday ( foul weather ) and not many people made it out over the weekend.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby monty » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:08 pm

Nice report mgmt,
Thats looks like a big walk in the conditions. Great pictures of the ridges. Looks a bit overcast all the way though. :D
monty

Postby mgmt! » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:38 pm

cheers monty, got a bit of everything that day including some sunshine, main thing was no heavy clag or whiteout, that would have hampered navigating, not like beinn fhada the next day !
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby malky_c » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:36 pm

Long day out this, but looks good 8)
Might try and give some of these hills another whirl before the snow goes, as they are quite close by for me.

Your Beinn Fhada report showed some rather familiar conditions...like we had on Cairngorm on Saturday :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland