walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A leg burner at the Glenshee 6

A leg burner at the Glenshee 6

Postby iainwatson » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:38 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 05/03/2011

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 1637m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

having been away from the hills for 3 weeks due to a chest injury and the prospect of the WH meet up the week after myself and thomas chose the Glenshee 6 as our walk for the 5th,i had been feeling pretty hill fit for the start of the year and thought this would be an ideal walk to get me back into the swing of things in preparation for the meet up,although i had no idea how much fitness i had lost in only 2 weeks.

we set off at 5:30am from the south side of glasgow arriving at the northern car park around 8:20am where we chained up our bikes and drove back to the start point of our walk.........no,make that 'epic trek',not really taking note of how steep the hill was that we drove up after leaving the bikes.

We set off around 8:30,myself full of excitement at being out on the hills for the first time in 3 weeks and we made good time with our usual quick pace,from reading about the walk i knew the hardest part was going to be reaching the first summit and after that there wasnt too much descent and then ascent from one to the other.

The weather was fairly good with very little wind although the cloud was in and it didnt take us long to catch a group of 4 walkers that had set off before us
heading to creag leacach.jpg

we passed them just before summit and upon meeting them had realised that it was two guys we had previously met on the cobbler in december,we stopped for a quick photo and a chat at Creag Leacach then headed off into the cloud aiming for Glas Maol
creag leacach summit.jpg

we again reached a good pace,eager to bag the second summit and caught sight of another group in front of us just as were nearing the summit of Glas Maol
nearing glas maol.jpg

glas maol summit.jpg

Again after a quick stop we set off for Cairn of Claise and as we neared the summit the weather gods took pity and the sky started to clear with the sun beginning to shine through which was a welcome sight
nearing cairn of claise.jpg

however,this is the point that i realised that my hill fitness was beginning to desert me,with thomas storming up to the summit ahead and myself begginning to feel the burn in my legs
i eventually reached the summit which was my well deserved excuse for a prolonged stop to try and let my legs rest before taking on the second leg of our journey

cairn of claise summit.jpg

From the summit we were having a slight problem making out which bump in the beautiful landscape was Tolmount so after taking a map check we set of knowing that it was aroun a 50 minute walk to it,so off we went,myself gladly welcoming the descent on my weary legs and enjoying the stunning landscape as the views opened up
heading to tolmount.jpg

Again as we started the ascent onto Tolmount my legs started telling me that the rest of the day was going to be hard going and as i reached summit i was overjoyed to stop for lunch and get another break,hoping that somehow the break would make the rest of the day more 'comfortable' for me
tolmount summit.jpg

After a fairly short descent we began to head back up toward Tom Buidhe,the 5th summit of what was,for me at least, a tough going day.My legs by this point were telling me to lie down,'no more please' but with the thought that once we reached Tom Buidhe i only had one more summit to go i plodded on and reached the summit,still in good time
tom buidhe summit.jpg

With renewed vigour we set off after a quick summit snap was taken and i have to say this last leg of the journey was not as bad....maybe knowing it was the final ascent helped my legs,which were now feeling very,very tired.Upon reaching Carn an Tuirc i was over the moon that i had managed to last to this point,feeling chuffed to bits that the bulk of the walk was over.after our summit snaps
carn an tuirc summit.jpg

we 'bum' sledged most of the way down the hill and it then hit me like a ton of bricks as i posed the question
'is that the road we need to cycle up that has just come into view?'
'aye,thats right' replied thomas
i cant put down what my reaction was and the thought of the cycling up the hill tainted the walk out for me but we reached the bikes,saddled up and set about the task of reaching the ski centre knowing that it was downhill from there to the van.needless to say i managed about 30ft on the bike before i was forced by my legs to get off and walk,with the only thought in my head being 'i need to lie down,for a long time before i can even consider going up this road'
i eventually struggled my way to the ski centre where i caught up with Thomas and we free-wheeled all the way back the the start of our day.

even though i was done in by the third hill it gave me immense satisfaction to have completed the walk and the drive home was actually not too bad.

all in all a fantastic day back out in the hills and a great warm up walk for the WH meet up this weekend,which i'm really looking forward to,see you all there :D
Last edited by iainwatson on Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Re: A leg burner at the Glenshee 6

Postby Merry-walker » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:21 pm

Wow Iain, that's some walk you guys did :)

Fantastic effort and great report and pics (how are your legs today?)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby flipside » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:26 pm

Well done Iain

fancy this wee jaunt myself :shock:, might have a crack at when the summer comes as i need longs days due to not being a racing snake

Flip
flipside
Wanderer

Munros:235   Corbetts:2
Fionas:6   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:33   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:15   Islands:23

Postby skuk007 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:27 pm

Great report, bit of an epic but no doubt worth the pain. Well done for keeping going through the pain barrier.

Can't work out your GPS route though when reading with your report, surely you didn't drop into the Garbh-choire before the summit of Cairn of Claise? :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby steven65 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:56 am

aye - respect due on your effort there - i`m looking around for walks / areas to expand into for our "summer" if & when it arrives , maybees Glenshee ???
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby iainwatson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:25 am

merry- my legs are fine now,were still a bit sore on the monday but hopefully i'm back to being out every weekend and my fitness will get better

skuk- the gps was drawn on the map so it might be a bit out in places,twas more of an estimated route than anything else :shock:

it would be a fantastic summer walk,when the clouds did open up the views were stunning,defo an area i'm gonna enjoy walking in for sure although i dont think that anywhere will match Glencoe in my eyes
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Postby yokehead » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Incredible effort, and done in an amazing time given that your strength was disappearing along the way! 8) I can imagine how you felt being faced with that last piece of uphill at the end, when all you want to do is lie down and be left in peace! :)

iainwatson wrote:i dont think that anywhere will match Glencoe in my eyes

Know what you mean, and a reason (apart from age & distance from Scotland) that I reckon I'll probably never do all the Munros - too many great alternatives to some of them including climbing the same hill more than once, or even many times. :)
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby dooterbang » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:42 am

Great report Ian.

Sounds like you gotta work on that hill fitness :)

Just out of interest - did you spot any wild antelope on the slopes :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby iainwatson » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:19 am

nah, i'm sure the antelope seem to loyal to the loch earn area :lol:
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:41 pm

Nice pics and a god report. I managed to make this the Glenshee 7 the day I did it - managed to revisit Cairn of Claise by mistake on the walk to the last hill. Don't ask me how I managed that. Then I had to walk the road back to the car - no bike for me that day. :shock:

It was still a good walk though, although I know what you mean about the Glen Coe hills. There's something special about them.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby walk aboot » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:20 pm

Terrific report, bet that downhill cycle at the end was wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland