walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

the mosdale round starting with kirk fell (ouch!!)

the mosdale round starting with kirk fell (ouch!!)

Postby MIKE LEVER » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:18 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Kirk Fell, Pillar, Red Pike (Wasdale), Scoat Fell, Steeple, Yewbarrow

Hewitts included on this walk: Kirk Fell, Pillar, Red Pike (Wasdale), Scoat Fell, Yewbarrow, Yewbarrow North Top

Date walked: 15/03/2011

Time taken: 8

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1650m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

one of the best walks I've ever done,with fantastic views in great weather this was challenging and hard work but well worth it.
1.jpg
a panoramic view of the scafells.
2.jpg
A path of sorts ascends direct from the village of Wasdale Head to the summit, the way being in

Wainwright's words "a relentless and unremitting treadmill, a turf clutching crawl, not a walk. There
are only three opportunities of standing upright...". a great description of kirk fell from AW
3.jpg
kirk fell.
4.jpg
great gable from the ascent of kirk fell
5.jpg
me near the top of kirk fell with a fantastic view of great gable
6.jpg
the scafells and lingmell
7.jpg
looking over to pillar
8.jpg
blacksail pass
9.jpg
the summit of pillar

10.jpg
steeple
11.jpg
the scafells reflected in wast water
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

MIKE LEVER
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:234
Wainwrights:214   

Re: the mosdale round starting with kirk fell (ouch!!)

Postby Crawler » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:54 pm

last photo is a stunner - so that path up Kirk Fell is as bad as AW says then? :lol:
Crawler
Bird-watcher

Postby houdi » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Have done this route a couple of times, although I always do the High Level/Shamrock Traverse to Pillar. First time I did it I went up the front of Kirk Fell just like you. Never again! Agree about the last photo. I've got few good ones of this view but yours is pretty special.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:36 pm

Great photos - looks like a stunning walk, the description of Kirk Fell by AW made me laugh :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby colgregg » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:48 pm

This is one of the best lakes walks I've done. You have some excellent pics on here. Must admit I never did fancy adding Kirk Fell onto the journey, heading directly for Black Sail pass instead.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:30 am

Like the other guys went onto Pillar via Shamrock etc, thought that round was hard work, but rewarding, adding Kirk Fell is cruel, great report :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby MIKE LEVER » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:50 pm

susanmyatt wrote:Like the other guys went onto Pillar via Shamrock etc, thought that round was hard work, but rewarding, adding Kirk Fell is cruel, great report :D

going back to do gable soon and going to do pillar via shamrock, should be a cracker ,
MIKE LEVER
Munro compleatist

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:58 pm

GReat report - I worked (and lived in) at Wasdale Head for about 9 months... but only went once that way up Kirk Fell. You have to do it though, looks so tempting from afar.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Dogshome » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:53 pm

Did this walk some five years ago at Easter, gorgeous as I left Wasdale and set off up Kirk Fell, had to dispense with my fleece and as I cleared the scree near the top it started snowing, almost a white out and never saw the beautiful view of gable. Must admit I bottled out of the climb up Stirrup Crag at the end of the walk and stupidly dropped down Dorehead screes far worse. By then the weather was back to beautiful.
I returned sometime later and this photo show my eventual descent route of Stirrup Crag, The trip over Yewbarrow really makes this a classic round.
Attachments
Stirrup Crag.JPG
Dogshome
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:8
Hewitts:112

Postby MIKE LEVER » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Dogshome wrote:Did this walk some five years ago at Easter, gorgeous as I left Wasdale and set off up Kirk Fell, had to dispense with my fleece and as I cleared the scree near the top it started snowing, almost a white out and never saw the beautiful view of gable. Must admit I bottled out of the climb up Stirrup Crag at the end of the walk and stupidly dropped down Dorehead screes far worse. By then the weather was back to beautiful.
I returned sometime later and this photo show my eventual descent route of Stirrup Crag, The trip over Yewbarrow really makes this a classic round.

The climb up stirrup crag topped of a great day.
MIKE LEVER
Munro compleatist

Postby MIKE LEVER » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:13 pm

Paul Webster wrote:GReat report - I worked (and lived in) at Wasdale Head for about 9 months... but only went once that way up Kirk Fell. You have to do it though, looks so tempting from afar.

got to be one of the most beautiful parts of the lakes.It must be fantastic seeing it in the ever changing weather conditions.
MIKE LEVER
Munro compleatist

Postby MIKE LEVER » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:18 pm

susanmyatt wrote:Like the other guys went onto Pillar via Shamrock etc, thought that round was hard work, but rewarding, adding Kirk Fell is cruel, great report :D

fancy the traverse some day soon, love this area of the lakes
MIKE LEVER
Munro compleatist

Postby yokehead » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:25 pm

This looks to be a fine round, might even tempt me to the Lakes one day instead of continuing on to Scotland! :lol: Love the photos, especially Great Gable. 8)
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland