walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Gable Round from Honister Hause

Great Gable Round from Honister Hause

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:02 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Brandreth, Great Gable, Green Gable, Grey Knotts

Hewitts included on this walk: Brandreth, Great Gable, Green Gable

Date walked: 19/07/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello everyone, a very early start yesterday as with hubby we set off for the Lakes, our base was to be the National Trust Car Park at Honister Slate Mine. We set off on our walk at 8.00am and ascended the old tram way.
IMG_3988.jpg
Looking back from tram way to Honister Mines
We climbed on this pathway until we reached the old drum house.
IMG_3992.jpg
By the old drum house
We turned left at the drum house and walked due south, it was quite a nice morning and some great views were opening up towards Buttermere.
IMG_4010.jpg
Haystacks and High Stile range
IMG_4029.jpg
Haystacks close up
The views got better but we knew the weather was coming in.
IMG_4035.jpg
Buutermere, Crummock Water, Mellbreak and Rannerdale Knotts
We continued along Moses Trod and got our first views of Green and Great Gable with their heads in the clouds.
IMG_4050.jpg
Green and Great Gable
We had decided to climb onto Gillercomb Head and then onto Green Gable.
IMG_4058.jpg
Towards Green Gable
IMG_4063.jpg
Lowest point before climb to Green Gable
We were still getting some good views before the clouds dropped.
IMG_4077.jpg
Zoom in on The Langdale Pikes
IMG_4079.jpg
Styhead Tarn
We reached Green Gable summit and suddenly teams of folk appeared as there was a two day event happening, some of the members seemed a little ill equipped but the army boys complete with shorts ran past :lol:
IMG_4081.jpg
Green Gable summit at 801m
We could see Great Gable quite well from the top of Green Gable, at the moment.
IMG_4085.jpg
Great Gable
Descended down to Windy Gap before the very steep climb to Great Gable.
IMG_1906.jpg
Great Gable
It now started to close in a little and drizzle slightly, there were some views at first but it then became an almost white out, it was a struggle to see more than 15 metres.
IMG_1913.jpg
Wastwater before the weather came in
IMG_1916.jpg
Summit view
IMG_1919.jpg
Summit plaque, 899m
After descending the same very steep way and back to Green Gable it was very difficult to spot our return to Brandreth and after some time consulting map and Satmap plus a quick glimpse through a cloudbreak when we saw Sourmilk Gill and Base Brown, we reached Brandreth summit.
IMG_4091.jpg
Brandreth summit at 715m
Then it was on to Grey Knotts and although it was still the 700m level the cloud base was above us.
IMG_4102.jpg
View to Grey Knotts
IMG_4105.jpg
Grey Knotts summit, 697m
Now it was a matter of descending down back to the drum house, we had decided against taking the steep descent back direct to the car park.
IMG_4114.jpg
Return off Grey Knotts to drum house
It was a shame that the weather closed in on us but it was still an enjoyable walk as are all those in the Lakes, at least the rain more or less kept away. Take care all of you and thanks for reading and the comments, see you soon :D :D :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: Great Gable Round from Honister Hause

Postby mountain tortoise » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:21 pm

Hi Sue
Great report as usual. I was on the way to Scotland yesterday have remember my camera this time so hopefully I will be able to post some pics this time.
By the way are you a model or tester for mountain jackets you always seem to have a different colour jacket on? :?
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Postby 37lumleyst » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:45 pm

Hi Sue - cracking report. I've done that route several times but in the reverse order to how you did it. Its great to see the pics of the Gable from Green, although having come down that way, I wouldnt fancy climbing Gable from Green, I normaly climb from Stye Head.

Cracking report though.

Paul
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:50 pm

Brings back memories. That view down Buttermere and Crummock Water is perhaps matched only by the view over Wasdale from Gable - and you got both in one report :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby pic4186 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:41 pm

Nice report Sue - that climb from Windy Gap up to Great Gable is steep isn't it. Mind you, I'm not sure there is an easy way up GG. We climbed up the same way as you then descended to Styhead - and to be honest I think to climb up thay way would be long and hard - better with the short-sharp-shock from Green Gable I say.
pic4186

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:52   

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback, yes MT, I do have a few jackets, due to a generous husband. It was a steep ascent and a shame that the weather dropped on us, the descent at times needs a bit of nerve. The view down Buttermere is my hubby's favourite, especially off Fleetwith Pike, thanks Sue :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby mountain tortoise » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:34 pm

Lucky you having generous husband. Itsgreat when they buy things you really like for things you are interested in. Long may he keep it! I have not done the Lakes for years for weekly walks I go in North Wales it is so easy from where I live. When I get in the car I always go to Scotland off up Ben Hiant tomorrow so may have a report to right tomorrow night.
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland