walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis via the CMD Arete

Ben Nevis via the CMD Arete

Postby murphy999 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:42 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 19/03/2011

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1650m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Leaving the car at about 9am we headed into Leanachan Forest and immediately hit the snowline, the track being covered with a few inches of fine powdery snow. The slope was relentless and this coupled with the heat caused us to shed layers as we went, but despite this we were making good time and soon we began to see blue skies through the gaps in the canopy.

As the trees finally began to thin the north face of Ben Nevis crept into view, slowly at first then its bulk dominating as it claimed the horizon for its own. The summit plateau of the Ben was clearly visible against a backdrop of cold, clear blue, unbroken by cloud and crowned by spindrift. The black rock ridges of the northern face flanking the snow filled gullies presented a glimpse of the routes to be conquered and the arete itself bridged the expanse of sky between these two great mountains. This is why we came to the north face.
DSC01638.JPG

Climbing a ladder over a small fence we made our way south following a path vaguely outlined beneath the snow, and after a time turned south east onto the western side of Carn Beag Dearg. The snow on these slopes deepened considerably as we climbed and all four of us continually sunk to knee depth, sapping our strength as we dragged our heavy thighs to the surface.

As we looked back towards the northern town of Fort William to take in the views the sound of rotors drifted above the wind and eventually through the cloud that hung in the glen the bright yellow hue of a mountain rescue helicopter rose towards us . We debated as to its purpose but having checked the avalanche forecast this morning the signs looked ominous, even more so as it moved quickly towards the north face of the Ben.
DSC01684.JPG

Turning back to our hill we gained height quickly and the snow gradually became more consolidated allowing us to walk on the surface fairly easily, albeit with the occasional heavy foot puncturing the perfect, glistening surface. We learned to stay away from the heather around which the snow was less stable and tried to minimise the monotonous task of reaching the surface after sinking in up to the thigh.
DSC01713.JPG

DSC01732.JPG

After some time we came to the col between Carn Beag Dearg and Carn Dearg Meadhonach and were greeted with the full splendour of the north face, every gully and buttress could be picked out in the spectacular conditions. Snow clung to every surface and the gullies were full but despite this splendour the eye was immediately drawn to the sight of a helicopter hovering above a clutch of climbers. We watched as two men were winched into the belly of the helicopter and it tipped its nose north towards Fort William. We were to learn on our return that two French climbers were swept 300m down the ice by an avalanche, each breaking both their legs in the process.
DSC01723.JPG

It was here that we chose to don our crampons as the slopes were becoming increasingly ice covered and also moved inwards away from the heavily corniced ridge. The wind was howling and filling our steps with snow as quickly as we could move forward making any notion of breaking trail for the others redundant. By this time we were making extremely slow going as hunger and fatigue set in, it was all we could do to keep moving. To the east skiers rode the slopes of Aonach Mor, making a mockery of our attempt to scale the mountain. Finally as we crested the top of Carn Dearg Meadhonach the final slope of Carn Mor Dearg entered our view, still so distant. As with all mountains however perspective is relative and as we descended to the foot of the final climb it began to look altogether less threatening. We we were up it in minutes and finally the summit cairn was ours. We had reached 1220m feeling every step.
DSC01751.JPG

DSC02439.JPG

DSC02437.JPG

Reaching the top of Carn Mor Dearg we gained our first full view of the arete we were to cross in order to gain the plateau of Ben Nevis. The ridge descended for about 150m and then formed into a narrow rocky ridge, covered in snow and ice. The arete curved towards the foot of the final slope which rose steeply to the highest point in the British Isles.

As we descended the exposure became threatening with steep drops on either side and strong, swirling winds. Despite the difficulties however the distance wasn't significant and as such we were optimistic of a safe traverse. We would skirt the high slopes of Coire Leis and make our way to the highest point in the UK.
DSC01766.JPG

DSC01787.JPG

Moving along the ridge the rocks became increasingly ice covered, the spaces in between filled with fresh wind blown snow. Despite the difficulties our movement was less than strenuous, attention diverted as it was by the expanse of air separating our crampons and the snows of Coire Leis. Our hands were rarely required and the distraction of the great north face supplied a staggering backdrop.
DSC01786.JPG

All too soon we reached the end of the ridge and were glad to make solid ground once more, a relief to plant a foot firmly after balancing on crampon points for much of the way. We had bridged the gap and without stopping we made our way slowly upwards towards the summit plateau, struggling on through a now bitter wind which had caused the deep snow to turn into thick ice. Picking various markers in the snow it was an intense struggle to reach each one but after what seemed like an endless grind we gained the summit and Scotland stretched before us.

In every direction the mountains were covered with a blanket of snow creating a white, jagged horizon framed against a backdrop of cloudless sky. The flat expanse of the summit stretched into the distance, brought to a sudden end by the sheer buttresses of the north face. This was the day of days.
DSC02442.JPG

DSC02445.JPG

DSC02446.JPG

DSC02447.JPG

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by murphy999 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
murphy999
Stravaiging

Munros:57   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Ben Nevis via the CMD Arete

Postby MIKE LEVER » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:52 pm

fantastic report and pics. have yet to do the cmd arete, would love to do it on a perfect day like you had.
MIKE LEVER
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:232
Wainwrights:214   

Postby David.Ferguson » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:55 pm

I knew i should have been out today.Magic images.
David.Ferguson
Munro compleatist

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby andrewdoggett » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:58 pm

Absolutely stunning; I was clearly in the wrong place today!!
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby Stretch » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:59 pm

Fantastic! I knew that while I sat in my office today someone was having a brilliant day out.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:11 pm

Cracking report and what a great read - kept me on tenterhooks right the way through :clap:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:15 pm

Jeez that looks like you had a stuning day there murphy 999,the furthest I got was a 4 mile walk along The Forth and Clyde Canal 5 min from my house
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby malky_c » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:36 pm

Couldn't not click on this report with the heading it had...and well worth it too!

Was briefly kicking myself for missing such a great Saturday, but your mention of those unlucky French guys suggests this was earlier in the week.

Top report 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby murphy999 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:04 pm

Aha wrong date! The one thing I forgot to change!
murphy999
Stravaiging

Postby pigeon » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:23 pm

Superb report and a great effort by you guys,hoping to get up there in the summer.Well done :D
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:15 am

Great report and great pictures. :D It looks like you had the perfect day, but pitty about the climbers though. CMD is planned for my Century mumro - hopefully later this year. Won't have the snow you did obviously, but if I get anything like the weather you did then I would be happy.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby murphy999 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks guys, it was a truly great day, we were lucky to be on the mountain. Incredibly tiring though!
murphy999
Stravaiging

Postby blueyed » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:03 pm

looks like a great day! i'm waiting for some longer days and less snow ;)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby Milesy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:40 pm

Brilliant photos! You look like you are going to rob the orient express though? :lol:
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby kevsbald » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:41 pm

Cracking set of pics. Replicated my day from 6 weeks ago but it took me a lot longer to grab the CMD summit so I bailed out halfway. Bien fait, as the French say.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland