walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meikle Bin

Meikle Bin

Postby BrianP » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:47 pm

Route description: Meikle Bin, Carron Valley

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 19/03/2011

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 400m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decided to start getting my walking legs back in shape by going for a quick jaunt up Meikle Bin today. There was a bit more snow underfoot than expected but that made it a more enjoyable short walk.
P3190002.JPG
The morning cloud clearing from above the wind farm across the Carron Reservoir.

P3190005.jpg
Summit appearing out of the cloud.

P3190008.jpg
Final walk to the summit.

Despite the long layoff from walking, a 2 week chest infection and the conditions under foot I was still at the top in an hour and twenty minutes, so there is still some fitness there.
P3190012.jpg
Looking south west from the top.

P3190013.jpg
Looking east from the top.

There was a cool breeze blowing on the summit so just stopped long enough for a cup of tea and a quick bite. Started to descend then stopped to chat for a few minutes with a guy from Kirkintilloch Walking club, before returning to the start. Was up and down in 2 and a half hours.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by BrianP on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrianP
Munro compleatist

Munros:99   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Meikle Bin

Postby rockhopper » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:55 pm

Nice leg warmer Brian. :D

I've only ever mountain biked round here - not walked so far.

Is this you warming up for your 100 ? plans ?
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jester » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:09 pm

I've done the Meikle Bin from the south and the east, but never that route (being in Airdrie it's the wrong side for me), looks like you had a good day up there.
On another note, who do you use for hosting your photos? I'm viewing this on a work PC, and it blocks Flikr, Photobucket, etc, but I can see your photos no problem.
jester
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:13 pm

My dad climbed Meikle Bin while I fished the resevoir last august. Next time im fishing Carron I might finish up early and go for a walk up :)
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby BrianP » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:26 am

Rockhopper, I thought I'd done the hundredth last year, but a recent recount revealed it was 99. So plan to get the hundredth over the next couple of months, not sure when or where yet.

Jester, I upload my photos directly to this site.
BrianP
Munro compleatist

Postby honey_munster » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi Brian,

I think I must have passed you as I was up Meikle Bin with my dogs Honey (German Shepherd) and Tess (Collie Cross) yesterday. We must have been at the summit just before noon but didn't stop for long. I agree with you that there was a bit more snow than expected on the north side of the hill. Good to get out after Honey's been a bit restricted recently with an inter-digital cyst.

Dave
honey_munster

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:5   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:6   

Postby BrianP » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:23 pm

Dave,

I think I was talking to the guy from Kirkintilloch Walking club, just below the top, when you passed. Then I passed you on the way down the track when you were on the phone.
BrianP
Munro compleatist

Postby honey_munster » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:14 pm

yes I remember now.

it's a small world - and not the first time I've bumped into a fellow forum poster on Meikle Bin either. I've bumped into fatdogwalks (aka Ken and Maisie) a couple of times.
honey_munster

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:5   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland