walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgor Gaoith

Sgor Gaoith

Postby csimbad » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:33 pm

Route description: Sgòr Gaoith, from Glen Feshie

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 19/03/2011

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 948m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arrived at car park 8am with clear blue sky so not hanging about headed on up the track as I didn't think the weather conditions would last to long. Sure enough half way up and I could see the cloud closing in quickly and before I new it the veiws were gone, thankfully approaching the Sgor Gaoith summit the cloud was gradually lifting so I could see the cairn and crags on the summit. Once at the summit I met with a skier who didn't hang about so I had it all to myself looking over the crags to see Loch Einich below, started to get a bit gusty so I thought I better take a few steps back. Wish it had been a bit clearer but was still happy with what I did see, I then started to head back down as the wind was making it a bit cold to stop and have something to eat. Once back on the path I met with quite a few people heading up the way mostly skiers, I then was back at the car park 12.30 with the sun shining (typical) to have a bite to eat and head off home. A return visit in the summer I think is on the cards as I liked this walk and veiws and would like to see it on a nice summers day if i'am lucky. :)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMGP0513.JPG
IMGP0514.JPG
IMGP0517.JPG
IMGP0519.JPG
IMGP0522.JPG
IMGP0525.JPG
IMGP0526.JPG
IMGP0527.JPG
IMGP0528.JPG
IMGP0529.JPG
IMGP0530.JPG
IMGP0532.JPG
IMGP0533.JPG
IMGP0534.JPG
IMGP0536.JPG
IMGP0539.JPG
IMGP0540.JPG
IMGP0543.JPG
IMGP0550.JPG
IMGP0554.JPG
IMGP0556.JPG
IMGP0559.JPG
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Munros:193   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Sgor Gaoith

Postby rockhopper » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:02 pm

You've got some nice pictures there - just love the Loch Einich area. On my list for summer so it's great to see it in the snow as it'll be all green (hopefully) when I'm there (and when you return next time). :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby csimbad » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:01 am

Thanks Rockhopper, yes its a lovely area can't wait to return hope to do Mullach Clach A' Bhlair with Sgor Gaoith next time so fingers crossed for a good summer. :)
rockhopper wrote:You've got some nice pictures there - just love the Loch Einich area. On my list for summer so it's great to see it in the snow as it'll be all green (hopefully) when I'm there (and when you return next time). :D
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:03 am

Love the way your photos show off the shifting clouds 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby csimbad » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:08 pm

Cheers Paul, just amazes me how quickly things can change up there but thankfully turned out not to bad a day in the end. :)
Paul Webster wrote:Love the way your photos show off the shifting clouds 8)
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Postby Border Reiver » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:55 pm

Superb Pics, I'm quite jealous. I've been up there 6 times in all seasons and never seen it looking as good as that. Last time I was there, it was 20th March 2005, the temperature was around 15c and there was hardly any snow, even on Braeriach. I met a lad who was heading for Monadh Mor and he was dripping with sweat. He thought it funny that he was going to be doing his Winter Leaders assessment the next day with similar weather forecast.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby Crawler » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:51 pm

great photos - was it hard walking and deep snow?
Crawler
Bird-watcher

Postby ChrisW » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Some stunning shots there csimbad - thanks for sharing :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby csimbad » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:16 pm

Thanks Border Reiver, was a pretty good day in all apart from the wind chill. How does it look up there in the summer. :)
Border Reiver wrote:Superb Pics, I'm quite jealous. I've been up there 6 times in all seasons and never seen it looking as good as that. Last time I was there, it was 20th March 2005, the temperature was around 15c and there was hardly any snow, even on Braeriach. I met a lad who was heading for Monadh Mor and he was dripping with sweat. He thought it funny that he was going to be doing his Winter Leaders assessment the next day with similar weather forecast.
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Postby csimbad » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks Crawler, The snow wasn't to bad until about 3/4 of the way up as it was quite hard at first but then came apon drifting snow which was deep in places but not to bad, micro spikes did the job all the way love those things. :)
Crawler wrote:great photos - was it hard walking and deep snow?
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Postby csimbad » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:29 pm

Thanks ChrisW, Not a problem hopefully more to come. :D
ChrisW wrote:Some stunning shots there csimbad - thanks for sharing :D
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Postby Border Reiver » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:46 am

csimbad wrote:Thanks Border Reiver, was a pretty good day in all apart from the wind chill. How does it look up there in the summer. :)

I was up there in mid July 2000 and it was a perfect day, with clear skies all day and only a slight cooling breeze. I parked in Glen Feshie, followed the Foxhunters path to the top, skirted round the edge of the Mhoine Mhor overlooking Loch Einich, then climbed Braeriach via the Wells of Dee. After that, I climbed Sgor an Lochain Uaine and Cairn Toul before cutting between Tom Dubh and Loch nan Cnapan on my way back to Glen Feshie. I was away about 9 hours, but wasn't hurrying because I'd already climbed these 3 Munros before and was just exploring a bit. The most difficult part was crossing above Loch Einich, it's very up and down, with little craggy bits and many streams to hop over. The only snow left was a lot of patches in the Garbh Coire and just above the falls of Dee. Otherwise, apart from the distance, it's quite easy going and on that day, quite dry under foot.

I've put in links to 4 photos. Sorry, but I've had to scan them from my album, so they're not the quality of digital pics and the scanner couldn't cope with panoramas too well.

1. Loch Einich from the edge of the Mhoine Mhor http://www.myalbum.co.uk/index.php?m=fto&a=73&id=226691330&key=8AEZ48TI

2. Panorama from Braerich to Cairn Toul taken from Foxhunters Path http://www.myalbum.co.uk/index.php?m=fto&a=73&id=225922663&key=DQUJGE7M

3. Garbh Coire from Cairn Toul http://www.myalbum.co.uk/index.php?m=fto&a=73&id=226624464&key=OZJRQ3TH

4. View over Loch nan Cnapan towards Sgor Gaoith http://www.myalbum.co.uk/index.php?m=fto&a=73&id=226210368&key=8XAD4VFT
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:34 am

Sgor Gaoith is still my one and only munro and I absolutely loved it. Reading your report brought back some very happy memories of our trip last August. The cloud was kind to us in that it lifted as we reached the summit but there was sadly no sunshine http://walkingwithfatty.blogspot.com/search/label/Sgor%20Gaoith
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:24
Islands:14

Postby csimbad » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:37 pm

Border Reiver wrote:
csimbad wrote:Thanks Border Reiver, was a pretty good day in all apart from the wind chill. How does it look up there in the summer. :)

I was up there in mid July 2000 and it was a perfect day, with clear skies all day and only a slight cooling breeze. I parked in Glen Feshie, followed the Foxhunters path to the top, skirted round the edge of the Mhoine Mhor overlooking Loch Einich, then climbed Braeriach via the Wells of Dee. After that, I climbed Sgor an Lochain Uaine and Cairn Toul before cutting between Tom Dubh and Loch nan Cnapan on my way back to Glen Feshie. I was away about 9 hours, but wasn't hurrying because I'd already climbed these 3 Munros before and was just exploring a bit. The most difficult part was crossing above Loch Einich, it's very up and down, with little craggy bits and many streams to hop over. The only snow left was a lot of patches in the Garbh Coire and just above the falls of Dee. Otherwise, apart from the distance, it's quite easy going and on that day, quite dry under foot.

I've put in links to 4 photos. Sorry, but I've had to scan them from my album, so they're not the quality of digital pics and the scanner couldn't cope with panoramas too well.

1. Loch Einich from the edge of the Mhoine Mhor http://www.myalbum.co.uk/index.php?m=fto&a=73&id=226691330&key=8AEZ48TI

2. Panorama from Braerich to Cairn Toul taken from Foxhunters Path http://www.myalbum.co.uk/index.php?m=fto&a=73&id=225922663&key=DQUJGE7M

3. Garbh Coire from Cairn Toul http://www.myalbum.co.uk/index.php?m=fto&a=73&id=226624464&key=OZJRQ3TH

4. View over Loch nan Cnapan towards Sgor Gaoith http://www.myalbum.co.uk/index.php?m=fto&a=73&id=226210368&key=8XAD4VFT

Thanks again Border Reiver, pictures are great much appreciated for sharing certainly looked a great day may take this route on myself in the summer and explore also, just hope we get a decent summer this year. :D
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Postby csimbad » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:09 pm

Thanks for sharing your report smirnie71 looks like you had a great time on your last trip with great pitures hopefully the weather is a bit better for you next time. :D
smirnie71 wrote:Sgor Gaoith is still my one and only munro and I absolutely loved it. Reading your report brought back some very happy memories of our trip last August. The cloud was kind to us in that it lifted as we reached the summit but there was sadly no sunshine http://walkingwithfatty.blogspot.com/search/label/Sgor%20Gaoith
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland