walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello from Northumberland

Hello from Northumberland

Postby Vagabond » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:00 pm

Hello everyone,

I`m from `tother side of the Border, over the Carter Bar and about a half hours` drive away, near the town of Alnwick, within the Northumberland National Park. We don`t have any mountains as such, but it is a beautiful area, if I say it myself lol.

Most of my walking I do, here in Northumberland , with occaisional forays over the Border into the Yarrow and Ettrick Valleys - an area I have come to love - so much history, but I digress!

I`m going on holiday shortly, and rather fancy the Trosachs - Loch Katrine looks very nice, or maybe Loch Vennachar - Brig `O` Turk area - somewhere where it`s quiet, not too many people, and where I can go walking in relative solitude. Not that I`m anti-social (quite the opposite), I just don`t want to travel all that way only to find myself surrounded by people at every juncture, ie crowds of other walkers` campers` etc. Hope this makes sense, but not having visited the area before, not really sure what to expect.

Would appreciate advice from other members familiar with the area.

Regards,

PS. Nice forums btw - much nicer than mine. :wink:
Last edited by Vagabond on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vagabond

Re: Hello from Northumberland

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:37 pm

Hi and welcome!
If you are looking for a less crowded place, then the Trossachs are not for you, I'm afraid. They do get very busy in the summer (autumn is a better time to go there). Might I suggest the west higlands/ islands? Beautiful scenery with not so many hordes of people. In fact hardly a horde to be seen.
Linn Of Lorn, Lochaber.jpg

Raasay from Breakish.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:26 pm

Caberfeidh is right that the Trossachs are one of the busiest parts of the Highlands, as they are so accessible from the south. Still, they aren't nearly so busy as the English Lakes!

I've had a weekend in Alnwick, lovely place. What a castle! Went walking in the Cheviots afterwards; we hope to extend Walkhighlands to reach as far as Carter Bar in future!
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:07 pm

I find most of the Highlands further north than, say, Crianlarich, are quiet during the week (which is when I go). Definitely not the Trossachs though - very beautiful but very busy - definitely Autumn during the week for those (or spring would be lovely). I find most areas in Scotland are mowed out on a weekend though...
mountain coward

Postby Vagabond » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:37 pm

Hi again,

Thanks for the welcomes - apologies for the belated reply. On reflection I think I shall postpone my highland adventures until the autumn - after the holiday season, when things have calmed down a bit - less people. Not as if the mountains are going to disappear any time soon lol, so no real hurry!

Nice photo`s btw, thanks for posting.

PS. Should have seen the crowds on the Carter Bar this lunchtime (Sat); like Piccadilly Circus.

http://www.northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk
Last edited by Vagabond on Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vagabond

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:52 pm

Some lovely spots in autumn, even apparently treeless Glen Coe has hanging forests, up on the steep slopes where grazing animals cannot get at them.And Glen Nevis is nice too, with all the rowans and birch turning. Loch Lomond has its moments, as there is a lot of oak forest there.
Autumnal pics 001.jpg
Autumnal pics 006.jpg
Hanging forest Glen Coe.jpg
Autumnal pics 004.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby zebidee1 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:08 am

Hello.

Welcome along.

:D
zebidee1
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Postby Tenbob » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:48 pm

As mountaincoward suggests, I would advise climbing during the week and early in the morning. Also, if you want he place to yourself you may only get this on "less fashionable" routes.
Tenbob

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...