walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Broad Cairn

Broad Cairn

Postby macq23 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:09 am

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn

Date walked: 19/06/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 19.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

BROAD CAIRN

This was a hike that I did last June with a friend. Having previosuly done Broad Cairn from Glen Doll in the snow, this would be a interesting perspective starting from Glenmuick car park in the Summer. The intention was to do Broad Cairn and Cairn Bannoch.
100_3710.JPG
Broad Cairn in the distance

It started off as a mild day, cloudy with the sun occasionally poking through. Perfect really, not too hot or too cold!

However it wasn’t until the boat house at Loch Muick came into view when we were hit with the gushing wind. Wow. It was also spectacular seeing the water being blow off from the Loch!
100_3713.JPG
Looking back at Loch Muick

So we soldiered on, probably walking at a slight angle into the wind.

It wasn’t until we reached the wooden bridge before the steeper ascent, that the wind picked up, and we knew we were in for a tough one at the top. As we got to the top the wind was incredible! We were constantly getting blown off balance, blown off the path. We continued for about 20mins, crouching down into the wind before stopping to debate on whether to continue or not, as the the wind was crazy.

There was a couple in front of us, slowly making their way up to Broad Cairn, also being blown about. We decided if they can do it, so can we! We also made the decision to Cairn Bannoch a miss. At this point the blue skies were making a more frequent appearences which made the views even more so fantastic which also spurred us on.
100_3716.JPG
Broad Cairn with the blue skies making the appearence

100_3720.JPG
Hitting the rocky parts

As we slowly reached the top of Broad Cairn, crouching tiger style, the summit was covered and we couldn’t see anything lol!! We stayed at the top for a about 5-10 mins before making our way down for shelter of any kind to eat our lunch without it blowing away!
100_3723.JPG
At the top keeping low!!

After lunch, the further down we went, the more wind died down, more blue skies appeared, and made for a very nice afternoon. The views of Lochnagar and Loch Muick were sensational, and I couldn’t get over bright the colours of the ground were.
100_3724.JPG
Coming back down, what a differences blue skies make!
100_3727.JPG
Broad Cairn on the left, Loch Muick, and the green green grass!
100_3734.JPG
Looking towards Lochnagar
100_3737.JPG
Water Feature!
100_3739.JPG
Back on the low grounds

In all, it was a really good hike which we had a great laugh about the wind. The drive to Glenmuick is not the easiest and quite long, but the area is something special, and I love seeing the deers next to the car park. Its something you don’t see often :-)
DSC00275.JPG
Broad Cairn, Lochnagar and Loch Muick
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by macq23 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
macq23
Hill Bagger

Munros:52   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:6

Re: Broad Cairn

Postby ChrisW » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:15 am

Great report and pics, good to see this without snow - really like the look of it in summer, think I will try the whole loch Muick circuit in summer if possible. Interesting that you had such strong winds up there on such a nice day. :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Alastair S » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:34 am

Nice report and photos - you would never know it was blowing a houlie :lol:

I too have only been up there in snow so quite fancy an attempt with my MTB during the summer. Going to have to pick a calm day though :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby malky_c » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:30 pm

Nice photos. A different looking day to the report ChrisW recently posted, but has me longing for summer 8)

I've done Broad Cairn and Cairn Bannoch from Glen Clova too one winter. It ws so windy it was almost impossible to walk over the plateau!

Alastair - You've probably seen this post, but if not, you may find it interesting:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2675&p=16139#p16139
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland