walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pressendye - The easiest 9.5 miles available!

Pressendye - The easiest 9.5 miles available!

Postby ChrisW » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:39 pm

Route description: Pressendye, Tarland

Fionas included on this walk: Pressendye

Date walked: 23/03/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 574m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wanted to keep the mileage up this week but didn't fancy the sloppy snow around here after Mondays 'rib incident', so I decided to do a little local hill that had decent mileage without the snow cover. The weather was overcast but warm.

Starting from the village of Tarland and taking the circuit clockwise as suggested by WH, it's out of town on a very quiet road for about 2 miles.

I've only just started and the cloud is looking ominous.......so much for the promise of a sunny afternoon

Away to the west I can see Morven, still sporting a little sloppy snow

To the north-east is the first view of Pressendye and Broom Hill (Pressendye on the right) ...not too tough but seemingly quite far away.....

As the tarmac road turns at Easter Davoch, I continued on toward the western flank of Broom Hill - the sign reads Boultonstone via Lazy Well 4.5 miles

At a T junction the arrow for the blue walk sign is missing, so a quick squint at OS-405 and as expected, it directed me through the farm gate and along the well rutted field

The ruts turned out to be dry with just the odd puddle which were easily avoided

I soon came upon the next sign - this time with its arrow intact

So through the gate and on along the deer fence with a last look at Morven before turning into the trees and quite a steep little pull through the woods

Once out of the trees it is back to a good path through the heather and up to the top of Broom Hill almost immediately, from there it is a drop of about 100m across the saddle before climbing again for Pressendye. Looking back to Broom Hill shows a controlled burn of the heather to the north.

To the south Morven still hogs the horizon

A nice gentle climb along the well trodden path through the heather is all that remains to reach the summit

I arrived at the summit and set my camera on timer and placed it on top of the trig point, I then ran across to the summit cairn and scrambled up a little way to pose for the pics........I almost scared an old couple and younger woman to death as they had been sheltering within the cairn on the north side, they had not seen me / I had not seen them :shock:

They forgave me for the fright and I joined them for 5 minutes and had a cuppa and a wee chat, mentioned WH, the younger lady said she used the site occasionally - so HI (just in case) and sorry for the scare.....here we are all behind the shelter of the (large for the size of the hill) cairn having a cuppa

From the trig point looking south - the camera (as always) doesn't do justice to the actual views, for a small hill Pressendye really does have some excellent 360 views.

I think they were talking about me :lol:

As my new found friends had left I though I would do the same and headed off in the opposite direction (they were doing the walk anti clockwise)

The clouds still threatened as I worked my way back down the lush firm pathway toward Tarland

A very pleasant surprise lower down was this avenue of birch trees that went on for 1km or so....a bit like something from a horror movie ..... glad it wasn't getting dark :lol:

The tree lined avenue then thins out and opens up to give a wider view of the home straight

Finally I step out onto the tarmac road about a mile north of Tarland giving a last view of Morven, then turn left and make my way back through the houses to the free parking in the town square without a drop of rain ever falling, even though it threatened to do so throughout the walk.

Although there is about 3 miles of tarmac road on this walk, I saw only one car during my time on Tarmac and even then I was greeted with a friendly wave from the lady driver :D It was great to get another 9 miles in without any leg problems and I really do feel that I have turned a corner this week (I almost said "made great strides") :lol:

Anyway, enough of that - if you are out Tarland way and you fancy a 'warm down' walk, Pressendye won't let you down :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Pressendye - The easiest 9.5 miles available!

Postby The-Big-Grey-Man » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:26 pm

I think I have done this hill many years ago, I really like the look of thoses Birch trees, very sinester.
The-Big-Grey-Man
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:08 am

Great to see you're keeping it up Chris and getting out more. :D Ditto on the birch trees - great aspect. You must've run fast to get into your self timed photo on the cairn :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ChrisW » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:47 am

rockhopper wrote:Great to see you're keeping it up Chris and getting out more. :D Ditto on the birch trees - great aspect. You must've run fast to get into your self timed photo on the cairn :lol:

I spent most of the next 15 minutes wondering if I was talking to myself as I approached the summit, and if so what the hell did that trio think :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby kevsbald » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:18 pm

Yes - that is on my tick-list, next time I'm 'hame'.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby kinley » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:46 pm

Nice - we were up there on saturday - soft snow most of the way from Balnakelly to the summit.

Looks like it thawed a bit!
kinley

Postby walkingwifie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:15 pm

We did this walk last Friday when there was still lots of snow lying. Fairly hard work, 3 or 4 steps on top of the snow then sinking in halfway to the knees.
Really enjoyed the fantastic views though, and your photographs.
walkingwifie

Munros:80   Corbetts:16
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:11   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:14 am

kinley wrote:Nice - we were up there on saturday - soft snow most of the way from Balnakelly to the summit.

Looks like it thawed a bit!

Thanks kinley, I'm glad it had thawed otherwise I think I would have left it after the Monday 'rib incident' en route to Broad Cairn - soft snow sucks :lol:

walkingwife wrote:We did this walk last Friday when there was still lots of snow lying. Fairly hard work, 3 or 4 steps on top of the snow then sinking in halfway to the knees.

Really enjoyed the fantastic views though, and your photographs.

Thanks walkingwife, that 3 or 4 steps then sinking to the knees is the worst kind of walking, hard to imagine that it all melted so quickly, just goes to show how good a week we have had weather wise.
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Mrs S » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:24 am

I am very new at this walking millarky - but really loving it. I just wanted to say thank you for the pictorial and very informative description of the walk. For a newbie, it makes planning a lot easier. x
Mrs S
Mountaineer

Postby balbridie » Fri May 18, 2018 7:56 pm

Nice report - thanks! A friend and I are planning to walk it tomorrow and the forecast is looking great. No offence intended - just a wee correction for the sake of accuracy but I'm pretty sure the avenue is of beech and not birch trees.
balbridie

Munros:15   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:9   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland