walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Greetings from the Antips!

Greetings from the Antips!

Postby AndrewP » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:20 am

Hi gang!
I expect that my time here will be sporadic, on account that I live in Australia.
However, my wife and I are visiting Britain in August/September, and having attended a family wedding, will be making a beeline for the Nevises (Glen & Ben), Torridon, Skye, the Lakes District and Snowdonia to do a two week sampler of the best scrambling that Britain has to offer.

This site has been invaluable for us planning our trips (Glen Nevis/Mamores, Ben Nevis, Beinn Alligin, the Old Man of Storr, the Fairy Glen, one of Skye's Sgurrs, Skafell Pyke, and that ridge north of Mt Snowdon (ie not Mt Snowdon - been wrecked by the train to the summit...).

I'm hoping to add to the feedback of those Highlands walks listed above (or any that we add to our itinerary).

Wish us luck, good weather, and healthy knees!

If you'd like to see what we've done previously, visit
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apurdam/co ... 000518280/ (our o/s travels)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apurdam/co ... 000510322/ (our O z travels)
and
http://bushwalkingtreasurebox.blogspot.com/ (a work in progress blog of our earlier trips)

Cheers,
Andrew
AndrewP

Munros:11   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   Islands:3

Re: Greetings from the Antips!

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:52 pm

G'Day! I hope you enjoy yer visit to Pommie Land.
At least you wont have those god-awful spiders to contend with here.
Though we do have a wee venomous snake.
adder.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby GarryH » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:44 pm

Hello and welcome to the site Andrew,1 up 3 to go we should have regained the ashes by the time you get here
in August. Hope it wont spoil your stay :lol:
tlm-a[1].jpg
Good old Freddy

You`re certainly doing some travelling when you`re here have a great time!
GarryH

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:30 pm

Welcome to the site!

I expect that my time here will be sporadic, on account that I live in Australia.

That's no excuse :lol: Hope you have a good trip; the weather has gone pear-shaped this week after a good summer so far.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby AndrewP » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:02 am

GarryH wrote:Hello and welcome to the site Andrew,1 up 3 to go we should have regained the ashes by the time you get here in August.
Depending on who's umpiring, I'd say! :silent:
AndrewP

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:54 am

Hi and welcome... although I'm surprised you want to come here with our crummy weather compared to what you have!

Snowdon (actually not Mount Snowdon although that seems to be becoming fashionable) has had the railway for a very long time. I actually like the train chugging past in the mist but am not quite so keen on the hordes of non-mountain-type tourists which spill off it and litter the summit area and roll rocks down over the clogwyns (crags) at great peril to climbers underneath. If they kept them on the train or just funnelled them into the cafe and banned them from going further as they do on Cairngorm, I'd be totally happy with the arrangement! It is a really nice mountain though with at least 10 major routes (and lots of variations) - it's my favourite in Britain.

The Fairy Glen is totally beautiful - I'll just attach some piccies here although I'm sure you've already seen it by the sound of it.
Fairy Glen.jpg
Fairy Glen1.jpg
Fairy Glen2.jpg
Fairy Glen no sun.jpg
mountain coward

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:34 am

That's a different Fairy Glen! I think AndrewP means this one. There's lots of Fairy Glens - there's one here too.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby AndrewP » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:02 pm

Indeed. Paul's right. We meant the one out of Uig (it seems that there are two on Skye, but I think we're agreed on this one), which is where we're staying that night (at Cuil Lodge - I presume it's okay to mention local businesses?), so we can tuck the Fairy Glen in if it's gonna work, and drop it if not.

But m c, I thank you for your beautiful pictures, and wish I was going there as well!
Point taken on (Mt NOT) Snowdon. There's obviously a lot of history and lexicography that I need to learn.
AndrewP

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:04 pm

Ah yeah - true enough - there are a lot of Fairies - sorry Fairy Glens in Scotland! :D

Well if you're in Wales and want to see the Fairy Glen in my pic, it's near Betwys y Coed in Snowdonia.
mountain coward

Postby AndrewP » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:44 am

And because we stayed at Idwal Cottage, we actually did get to visit the Betws y Coed Fairy Glen on our way back.
All these pics are viewable at http://www.flickr.com/photos/apurdam/sets/72157622316052354/.
Image Image
AndrewP

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...