walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Three Loch Shiel Corbetts

Three Loch Shiel Corbetts

Postby foggieclimber » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:39 am

Route description: The Sgùrr Ghiubhsachain round

Corbetts included on this walk: Druim Tarsuinn, Sgòrr Craobh a' Chaorainn, Sgùrr Ghiubhsachain

Date walked: 25/03/2011

Time taken: 8.3 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1650m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I set off yesterday morning to ascend Stob a'Bhealach an Sgriodain. I parked in the Callop car park and started walking at 07:50.

Car park at start of walk:

I passed a couple of friendly horses en-route to the Callop cottages and was welcomed by a couple of friendly dogs at the cottages.

Callop:

After passing Callop, I continued to follow the good quality track towards the small hydro scheme.

Track leading towards small hydro scheme:

Hydro dam:

On reaching the small hydro scheme, I left the good quality track and began making my way along the footpath leading towards Cona glen and Stob a'Bhealach an Sgriodain.

Hydro dam from above:

The next few kilometres along the path were quite dull (limited views and no wildlife) and very wet underfoot!

Path leading towards Cona glen and Stob a'Bhealach an Sgriodain:

On reaching the end of the path, I descended wet grassy slopes towards the Cona River loop.

Meall Mor and Stob a'Bhealach an Sgriodain:

The river crossing was straight-forward.

Cona River loop:

Once across the river, I ascended alongside a fence to the left of a small wood. Once above the wood, I ascended on the left side of a gully towards the bealach between Meall Mor and Stob a'Bhealach an Sgriodain.

Ascent to bealach between Meall Mor and Stob a'Bhealach an Sgriodain:

Looking back from slopes of Stob a'Bhealach an Sgriodain:

Ascent alongside gully:

On reaching the bealach, I then followed the two lines of rusty fence posts towards the summit of Stob a'Bhealach an Sgriodain.

Stob a'Bhealach an Sgriodain from bealach:

Lochan Dubh and Gleann an Lochain Duibh:

Approaching summit of Stob a'Bhealach an Sgriodain:

I reached the summit at 11:15. As it was still quite early, I decided to extend the day by heading for Sgurr Ghiubhsachain and Sgorr Craobh a'Chaorainn.

View from summit of Stob a'Bhealach an Sgriodain:

The traverse of Druim Tarsuinn was typical of hills in this area – rough and knobbly.

Interesting stripy, contorted rocks:

Looking back to Stob a'Bhealach an Sgriodain from Druim Tarsuinn:

Loch Shiel from Druim Tarsuinn:

After Druim Tarsuinn, I continued to follow the rusty fence posts up Meall nan Creag Leac.

Ascent of Meall nan Creag Leac:

Looking back to Druim Tarsuinn and Stob a'Bhealach an Sgriodain:

Looking back to Druim Tarsuinn and Stob a'Bhealach an Sgriodain:

I visited the top of Meall nan Creag Leac to get views along Loch Shiel.

Loch Shiel from top of Meall nan Creag Leac:

Loch Shiel from top of Meall nan Creag Leac:

I then made for Sgurr Ghiubhsachain.

Ascent of Sgurr Ghiubhsachain:

Looking North from Sgurr Ghiubhsachain:

There was a strong smell of smoke on Sgurr Ghiubhsachain, The smell of burning heather was rising over 800m from the shores of Loch Shiel.

Ascending Sgurr Ghiubhsachain:

Heather burning at Loch Shiel (zoomed):

Was a bit surprised at the size of the cairn on Sgurr Ghiubhsachain – large for such a remote hill.

Large summit cairn of Sgurr Ghiubhsachain:

Next I headed for Sgorr Craobh a'Chaorainn. The descent from Sgurr Ghiubhsachain was quite rocky.

Looking back to Sgurr Ghiubhsachain:

Sgorr Craobh a'Chaorainn:

As I started the ascent of Sgorr Craobh a'Chaorainn, I met two other walkers and stopped for a brief chat.

Looking back to Sgurr Ghiubhsachain:

As I approached the top of Sgorr Craobh a'Chaorainn, I was a bit worried about ascending the rocky top. It was however much easier than expected – basically just a walk.

Rocky top of Sgorr Craobh a'Chaorainn:

Summit of Sgorr Craobh a'Chaorainn:

From the summit of Sgorr Craobh a'Chaorainn, I descended towards Meall na Cuartaige.

Descent from Sgorr Craobh a'Chaorainn towards Meall na Cuartaige:

Looking back to Sgorr Craobh a'Chaorainn:

On reaching the col between Sgorr Craobh a'Chaorainn and Meall ba Cuartaige, I then descended grassy slopes to reach the wet path that I had used earlier in the morning.

Descending to the path:

I followed this path back to Callop and out to the car park.

View North, heading back towards Callop:

I found yesterday quite hard work, possibly the hardest walk undertaken since Beinn Dearg Mor and Beinn Dearg Bheag last June. Great hills but shame about the quality of the path leading to them.
foggieclimber

Re: Three Loch Shiel Corbetts

Postby PeteR » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:49 am

Great report foggieclimber. Love this sort of walking, even though it is tough. Some great pictures in a great area. One for my "to do" list I think :D 8) :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby kinley » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:27 am

Not for the first time you're walking routes that I've been sitting planning in the recent days :)

Although I was looking at taking a tent and including the nearby Graham too.

Good to see the snow level's above Corbetts over there - looking forward to dumping the axes etc. :D

Cheers 8)
kinley

Postby ChrisW » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:08 pm

Fantastic report Foggie and some really beautiful pics, even though the going was clearly crap in places you were rewarded for your efforts with some stunning views. A good long 'un' but it must have felt longer with those conditions :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby gaffr » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:42 pm

I well recall visiting these tops some years ago. I left the motor at the visitor car park close to the CES tower and headed out for the broad ridge running up from the lochside to the top of Sgurr Ghuibhsachain. After not finding a crossing place to reach the track that runs on the south side of the Loch I ended up at Callop and decided on a change of plan :lol: which involved the longish approach march to the high ground overlooking Cona Glen...same route as you did...somehow I had also reckoned that Meall Mor was the main top at this end of the circuit. :) A real faux pas day this was, however, I did get an extra wee top :lol: It is a fine circuit in a grand area of hills. Still haven't been back to ascend the broad ridge. :) Must get some better maps!
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland