walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Into double figures with Ben Vorlich

Into double figures with Ben Vorlich

Postby mband » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:35 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 25/03/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 855m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkers: Mags & dad

Ben_Vorlich.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The weather over the last few days has been lovely, a real taste of spring, but with a change forecast we were hoping for 1 more day of sun for my day off (remember Dooterbang, I only work 4 days a week! :lol:). But we needn't have worried as we started off in sunshine.

Ben Vorlich 002.JPG
Ardvorlich House and Ben Vorlich

Ben Vorlich 001.JPG
Getting ready, with Ben Vorlich in the background

As we walked up the landrover track the jackets were off and the thermals didn't seem necessary after all.

Ben Vorlich 003.JPG

As we climbed higher the Lawers range with the Tarmacham ridge to the right came in to view. Looked like good weather over there too.

Ben Vorlich 005.JPG
Ben Lawers range

Ben Vorlich 006.JPG
Ben Lawers

On the way up we spotted a couple of Ptarmigan, although from this distance they may have been broiler hens :lol: . Don't worry Kinley I'm not going to beat you for the title of WH wildlife photographer of the year award :lol:

Ben Vorlich 007.JPG
Ptarmigan - yes really there is

Near the top there was a bit of steep snow with a small cornice, although others had walked up it we went to the right a bit, put on our minispikes and followed other footsteps up only to realise that it was only about 10 steps and we were up and over to the top. This opened up the views to the south and west which were great. Although, as my mum says if you are on top of a munro in clear weather your going to get a great view anywhere in Scotland. My dad pointed out all the hills he could name (blame him if I have any names wrong!) and said there were an awful lot for me still to climb! Never mind only 273 to go now :D

Must practice my smile and sort out my hair for these summit photos - although I don't know how you are meant to look photogenic after climbing the best part of 3000 feet!

Ben Vorlich 016.JPG
Ben Vorlich Summit

Ben Vorlich 011.JPG
Stuc a' Chroin

Ben Vorlich 012.JPG
Ben More & Stob Binnein

Ben Vorlich 013.JPG
Tarmacham Ridge

Ben Vorlich 015.JPG
Lawers Range

We left Stuc a' Chroin for another day and headed back down they way we had come up. Each time I do another hill the bug bites a bit harder so............I'll be back :D
Last edited by mband on Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mband

Munros:210   Corbetts:41
Fionas:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:23

Re: Into double figures with Ben Vorlich

Postby ChrisW » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:26 pm

Great report and some stunning pics - another one for my ever growing list :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Del246 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:55 pm

Well done
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby nathan79 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:34 pm

Nice report Mags.

You've saved me the bother of asking what the snow/ice is like up there. I was up there in November but the last short stretch to the sunmmit was more icy/snowy than i was comfortable with at that stage. I might now revisit it in the week.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby mband » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:38 pm

You've saved me the bother of asking what the snow/ice is like up there. I was up there in November but the last short stretch to the sunmmit was more icy/snowy than i was comfortable with at that stage. I might now revisit it in the week.[/quote]
Yeah, no problem with snow there is really very little on the route although a bit more if you are planning on doing Stuc a' Chroin as well. We put on our microspikes then realised that they weren't really necessary. Hope you have a good day for it Nathan, we were lucky and I really enjoyed the day.
mband

Postby dooterbang » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:02 pm

Well done mags.

Your a jammy git only working the 4 days.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby monty » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:20 pm

Nice one Mags. Some nice views there. No stopping you now. :D
monty

Postby mband » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:14 pm

Cheers guys,

Just booked ferry to go to Mull in June as dad hasn't done Ben More, they are all new to me :D
mband

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland