walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Fhionnlaidh with the Clag Walker

Beinn Fhionnlaidh with the Clag Walker

Postby Stretch » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:45 pm

Route description: Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Date walked: 26/03/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 984m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Myself and the Walkhighlands member formerly known as Gammy Leg Walker decided to head down Glen Etive Saturday to do a munro or two. I had proposed Meall nan Eun and it's neighbor in the Ben Starav group, but Gammy hadn't been out since our last trip right before Valentines Day so we went with the easier Beinn Fhionnlaidh starting from Invercharnan cottage. This route follows the one Bootsandpaddles did not too long ago and it proved to be an excellent choice. We got started about 9 and the weather was cloudy with a very light drizzle - typical Gammy conditions. From the cottage it's a very easy stroll along a track through the forrest - no mud, no bog, just smooth sailing. Once we exited the forrest we turned left and headed down more boggier ground and crossed the stream near the dodgy bridge. We followed a good path up to the right of the gorge until we reached Meall nan Gobhar. From there it was a right turn and the ascent of Beinn Fhionnlaidh began. A good path goes along for a ways and peters out - we just kept zig zagging on up to reach the ridge. This hill has some really neat features and a steep north face. At one point we stood above a huge drop but didn't stare down for too long :shock:

Once at the top it was another case of dealing with that big gray cloud that hovers over Gammy's head :lol: Poor guy just can't get a clear summit. I know the forecast was iffy, but we decided it was his luck that brought the clag down. After a bite to eat we retraced our steps and made our way back to the forrest. Overall I really enjoyed this walk - it's mostly dry, not too steep, and their are great views over to Ben Starav. Many thanks to the newly named Gammy Clag Walker for coming along on this one! :lol:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The easy forrest track.jpg

The way ahead after the forrest.jpg

The dodgy bridge.jpg

Just one of the many Gammy action shots.jpg

Cloud over the forrest we came out of.jpg

Not a promising sight heading up the gorge.jpg

Ben Starav group from ascent.jpg

Customary majestic wildlife photo.jpg

Gammy training for Everest.jpg

Gammy heading up Beinn Fhionnlaidh.jpg

Stretch on Beinn Fhionnlaidh.jpg

Last ascent up Beinn Fhionnlaidh.jpg

Standard Gammy Leg Walker view from trig point.jpg

Descending Beinn Fhionnlaidh.jpg

Down Loch Etive.jpg

Gammy taking a big risk here.jpg
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Beinn Fhionnlaidh with the Clag Walker

Postby ChrisW » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:01 pm

Great pics stretch - just read gammys report on this and was left hanging to see who had crossed the dodgy bridge :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:03 am

Fab stuff Stretch, you guys had some lovely views :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:20 pm

This is the Clag Walker
Sure did enjoy our day on Sat mate.
My Mrs had a laugh again when I should her my views from the summit when I got home,tried to tell her it"s not all about the views,but it"s starting to wear a little bit thin.
Now starting to get to me,think I must have a jinx :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:24 pm

Shame about the views :lol: :lol: Your certainly knocking them down Stretch. Good effort. :D
monty

Postby rockhopper » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:05 pm

Great report Stretch - hoping to do some walking in this area later this year and will keep a note of your report.

The way you've taken some of the pictures actually makes it looks as though the clag is following GLW/GCW around :lol: or maybe that's what actually happens
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:54 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:This is the Clag Walker
Sure did enjoy our day on Sat mate.
My Mrs had a laugh again when I should her my views from the summit when I got home,tried to tell her it"s not all about the views,but it"s starting to wear a little bit thin.
Now starting to get to me,think I must have a jinx :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:03 am

Forget clag walker, he's the shooglie bridge walker. Wouldn't have caught me on there :)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:10 pm

Some nice pictures there. I really enjoyed this walk whan I did it last year - the source of my only airbourne 'fall', when decended the path on the way down. Pity about the weather you had though. I was on the other side of Glen Etive on the Sunday where the sun made an apearance in the afternoon leaving me with a sunburnt head.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland