walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Fhionnlaidh (Yoonly Live Once)

Beinn Fhionnlaidh (Yoonly Live Once)

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Date walked: 26/03/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14.8 km

Ascent: 968m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After 5 weeks off looking after Mrs GLW who had just been through open heart surgery to repair a blocked artery in her heart,it was now time to get back out and see how my old legs would be.Me and stretch had been keeping in touch over the 5 weeks and we arranged to meet at Crianlairach and then take one car down to Glen Etive,and on the way we could work out what to climb.After a wee discussion stretch took pity on me and agreed on this wee hill.
We managed to find a small parking area near where you enter the forest and were on our way along the track shortly after 9am,even though the day was a little cloudy the view over the tree line to Ben Starav was not to shabby
060.JPG
Ben Starav
We made our way on a good track through the forest where we got our first view of our target for today
061.JPG
Beinn Fhionnlaidh in the clouds
The track made for easy going,and after approx 50min we cleared the tree line where we took a sharp left and dropped down a fairly boggy track towards the small and very old bridge that leads across the burn
063.JPG
A rather old bridge
.So here we had to make a choice,try and cross by the bridge and risk it collapsing and us getting wet,or try and cross on stones and maybe falling in and getting wet(for this answer I"m afraid you will need to read the report stretch will post in due course)all I will say is one did and one did not :wtf: Once on the other side this was where the climbing begins up grassy slopes to start with following a small burn,then the path becomes more defined.At this stage the weather was holding up rather nicely and giving us some nice views all around
064.JPG
Cloud passing by
065.JPG
Ben Cruachan in distance(poor quality)sorry
067.JPG
Ben Starav with head in the clouds
.With the spell of mild weather in the last few days I had taken the decision to leave the ice-axe in the car and just carry my crampons,this proved to be the right one today as there was only the odd patch of snow around
068.JPG
Small patch of snow,and our target
.I was now starting to feel the burn in my legs from my 5 week lay off and stretch was having to slow down and wait while I tried to keep the legs pumping as we made our way to the bealach between Beinn Fhionnlaidh and Meall nan Gobhar.
With all that had been going on in the last few weeks it was really good to get back out, as we climbed up to the bealach all the worries seamed to start to drift away, and even though the legs were telling me different,I was really enjoying myself with not a care in the world.I eventully got too the bealach where stretch was waiting.
069.JPG
Stretch waiting for glw
After a 5 min break here to recover we only had the last push to the summit,where stretch would see what I always seam see at the top
070.JPG
Last push
This last push was great with some soft snow patches where you could push or kick your boot in to get a good grip,and a nice simple scramble before you walk the last few yards to the trig point
071.JPG
Trig point and the view I always seam to get
We now had a well errand break here and settled down and had our lunch,where stretch now sprung a surprise on me and produced his famous beefy jerky(sorry big fella an aquiered taste)
072.JPG
Coffee "n" beefy jerkey
073.JPG
Gammy and summit trig
All too soon it was time to head back down,but not before we spoke to two walkers who had reached the top shortly before us,and we found out for one of them this was his 100th Munro :clap: Must admit the drop down from the top was a bit of a slog with my enforced lay off now starting to take it"s toll on my gammy knee and ankle so I only managed too get one or two pics on the way down
075.JPG
Small gap in clag
076.JPG
Cloud now clearing
077.JPG
Nearly at car
078.JPG
Nearly at car
This is the first time I have been down Glen Etive,but it will not be the last,an amazing part of the country and cat wait till next time when Ben Starav and it"s neighbours will be my next target,on the way back home we stopped in at Bridge of Orchy Hotel for a well errand pint,a great end too a great day once again in your comany stretch,roll on next Sat where ever we may end up :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Beinn Fhionnlaidh (Yoonly Live Once)

Postby ChrisW » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:58 pm

Great report Gammy and some cracking pics (even with the clag) - welcome back to the hills - best wishes to Mrs Gammy for a speedy recovery :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:15 pm

Thanks very much chrisW Mrs looks to be well on the way to better health,did not bother too much about the clag really enjoyed yesterday,with no wind and very mild temp there is not much more you can ask for in March,old legs feeling a little sore today but will soon walk that off over the next day or so along the Forth and Clyde Canal near where I stay.
Trying to build up too our weekend in Glen Sheil where I hopfully will manage to conquer my nemiss The South Glen Sheil,only got as far as Cluanie Lodge two years ago before my gammy knee packed in :wtf:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Stretch » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:23 pm

Gammy Clag Walker! A fun day out sir, you're bravery in crossing that bridge was a sight to see!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:29 pm

Hi..hope mrs GLW is ok...... if you need cardiac info....im yer woman....... Mt
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:57 am

Now then Nurse Gammy........ that was a great report and stunning views.

Best wishes to wifey GLW :) :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby JB likes a beer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:04 am

Hi mate good effort after the lay off,looks a good munro for breaking back into,hope the wife recovers well ,looking forward to going to glen shiel. cya soon mate :D
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Munros:205   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby jonny616 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:36 pm

Nice report & like the others hope Mrs GLW makes a speedy recovery.

I was thinking of doing this hill for the other side but now i'm not so sure. Less distance to drive to the Etive start point.

I like the wee bridge too :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:33 pm

Stretch wrote:Gammy Clag Walker! A fun day out sir, you're bravery in crossing that bridge was a sight to see!

Maybe the bridge would not hold your weight,but me being 6 stone soaking wet it was a dawddle
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:39 pm

mountain thyme wrote:Hi..hope mrs GLW is ok...... if you need cardiac info....im yer woman....... Mt

Thanks for the offer MT. mrs glw is on the road to recovery,if I need any info you will be my first port off call
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:42 pm

Merry-walker wrote:Now then Nurse Gammy........ that was a great report and stunning views.

Best wishes to wifey GLW :) :)

Thanks merry-walker,with me being a domestic god I took it all in my stride,it sure was good to get back out,but my legs are still felling the burn today
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:45 pm

JB likes a beer wrote:Hi mate good effort after the lay off,looks a good munro for breaking back into,hope the wife recovers well ,looking forward to going to glen shiel. cya soon mate :D

Cheers JB cant wait for Glen Sheil should be a blast(need to get this ridge out my system after my last time)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:49 pm

jonny616 wrote:Nice report & like the others hope Mrs GLW makes a speedy recovery.

I was thinking of doing this hill for the other side but now i'm not so sure. Less distance to drive to the Etive start point.

I like the wee bridge too :lol:

Thanks jonny616 it was stretch who suggested this approach,and a good one it is nice easy walk for 45/50min,and some cracking views round Glen Etive to keep your mind of the climb
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:36 pm

Good effort GLW. Stretch is an accomplished athlete now so no wonder you couldn't keep up. :D You will be fine after a few more walks. Just need to sort out that clag :lol: :lol:

All the best to Mrs GLW. Hope she has a good and full recovery. :D
monty

Postby Alan S » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:53 pm

Good report mate :D glad you are back out on the hills again, Nice set of pics 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland