walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr Eilde Mor, Binnein Beag

Sgurr Eilde Mor, Binnein Beag

Postby blanchie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:29 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Èilde Mòr and Binnein Beag, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Beag, Sgùrr Èilde Mòr

Date walked: 26/03/2011

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 20.4 km

Ascent: 1810m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I decided that a long walk was required to clear the cobwebs of the working week and I had had my eye on the east end of the Mamores for a while. There was cloud covering the tops in the morning but, by the time I approached Sgurr Eilde Mor, it was starting to lift. I lost the bet I placed with myself that I would not see anyone else out there, as I came up behind a threesome heading up to the same top. A fiver down, I'd collect it later!

From Sgurr Eilde Mor I had planned to ascend both Binneins, but Binnein Mor had lots of snow on the last section of the NE ridge and on the top itself. I debated whether I wanted to go the extra mile through deep soft snow up to BM, and as I had also wanted to descend via Sgurr Eilde Beag, seeing its path off the top was also obscured by snow, I decided to sit on the fence until I had done Binnein Beag.

I had a brief lunch stop when I spotted a couple of ptarmigan nearby, one in its summer coat, one in winter. I spotted the grey one first naturally and thought its change of clothes was a tad premature. Mental note to take a better camera the next time.

From its clear top the view to BM was now covered in cloud, as was its NE ridge, so I decided to see it another day along with the route from Na Gruagaichean. The ascent up BB was good hard work, and I certainly felt that the spiders work was undone! And boy was it a long walk!!

SGURR EILDE MOR.jpg
Sgurr Eilde Mor from Binnein Beag

BINNEIN BEAG.jpg
Binnein Beag

SGURR EILDE MOR PTARMIGAN.jpg
Pair of Ptarmigan

BINNEIN MOR.jpg
Binnein Mor
blanchie
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:72
Wainwrights:111   

Re: Sgurr Eilde Mor, Binnein Beag

Postby ChrisW » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:10 pm

You deserved clearer skies after all your hard work but sometimes that's the way it goes....it owes you :wink:

Hope you collected that fiver from yourself and spent it wisely in the pub :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby JGKES » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:25 pm

Seems to be a lot of snow still on the Scottish hills,or maybe it's not a lot for Scotland in March.I went to The Lakes last week and apart from the odd patch I saw virtually none on the 3000'ers there.I'll never forget my ascent of Sgurr Eilde Mor in 1980(gosh).On surmounting the summit boulders I came upon a golden eagle perched not 20 feet away.It took off,lazily flapped its wings once and glided away in front of me.In fact,it startled me.Fantastic view of a magnificent bird.I like to see the ptarmigan when in the Highlands,and snow bunting,though these have been rare for me.Your photo's brought back the memories of 1980.
JGKES
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Hewitts:140
Wainwrights:214   

Postby blanchie » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:20 am

Fiver well spent!

I've seen a lot more ptarmigan about this winter - anyone else concur?
blanchie
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:72
Wainwrights:111   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:24 pm

I can't provide a comparison as I wasn't around here last winter but I seem to see ptarmigan on every decent sized hill I climb - saw a beautiful pair today on Mount Keen, will be in my post tomorrow :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland