walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meikle Bin by Bike!!

Meikle Bin by Bike!!

Postby dooterbang » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:44 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 26/03/2011

Time taken: 5.3 hours

Distance: 59.9 km

Ascent: 1395m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last weekend was spent initiating dootergirl into the realms of winter walking, an encounter with her first Munros - Bidean nam Bian.....thought i would break her in gently :wink:

We both had the Monday off and dootergirl suggested i get on my bike :shock: 8)
I pulled it out for the first time in ages, my bike was ready for action :)

That Monday we had a pleasant cycle along the canal from Kirkintilloch to Falkirk and back - 30mile.
I enjoyed being back in the saddle so much that i decided to give the Munros a break and get peddling this weekend.

Using the GPX route planner i penned a nice little trip which would take me up and around the Campsie hills, i would incorporate the Marylin Meikle Bin into my day trip. . . .gotta feed my walking addiction, this would tide me over :)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I would set off from and finish in Lenzie.

40 minutes after setting off i arrived at Tak me doon road in Kilsyth - the road that leads into the campsies.

The climb up Tak me Doon road was hugely enjoyable. I had the feeling of being somewhere remote, yet i was only 45mins outside Glasgow. The sun was trying real hard to break from the clouds.

Carron valley Hotel

Horses

Meikle Bin in the distance

It wasn't long till i reached the Carron Dam, the sun broke through and bounced off the water. Miekle was very close...

When i reached the starting point to walk Meikle Bin i decided to continue on bike as it was through a wooded area with decent landrover tracks.

I met this gentleman who races huskies - we had an interesting chat for a while.

I got as far as i could on bike. A small cairn marked the spot to which i followed.

20M later the trees stopped and a 200M ascent was left to the top of Meikle Bin - i decided to push my bike to the summit.

My bike and i at the summit

I had lunch at the top then cycled off the summit.

It was now left to cycle the 15 or so miles back to Lenzie.

On my way back a motorcycle slowly went pass me with the passenger riding pillion waving at me, "you not doing a Munro this weekend then" WTF!! "i'll see you on Monday" i had no idea who this was!! Today at work all was revealed - a work colleague was out with her husband......takes allsorts :)

This is a fab little route that can be physically challenging due to the ascent, it was great fun.

A few vids....
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUlDxRw-Cec&hd=1[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk8xwY4kK-c&hd=1[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq3P2E-qzGY&hd=1[/youtube]
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Meikle Bin by Bike!!

Postby rockhopper » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:00 pm

Nice area for a wee trip dooterbang. I've been up there a couple of times for the mountain bike trails....but being somewhat lazier/less fit than you, I parked in the Carron Valley car park. :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Alan S » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:04 pm

Cracking wee report there mate, one of my favourite hills :D
I used to cycle up the tak me doon road when i was younger and it was a bugger, i definetly couldnt do it now.
Love the pics across the dam
Thanks for sharing 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:15 pm

Great report and fantastic pics, love the 'walk through' on the second video - made me laugh.... is that a near accident on the last vid, made me bleeding jump :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby malky_c » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:15 pm

As you can imagine, I enjoyed this :D Nice touch, dragging your bike to the summit as well...

Never walked or cycled around here. Pretty good being able to escape Glasgow even without driving much. Lots of hills in that route :lol:
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby dooterbang » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:57 pm

alan s wrote:Cracking wee report there mate, one of my favourite hills :D
I used to cycle up the tak me doon road when i was younger and it was a bugger, i definetly couldnt do it now.
Love the pics across the dam
Thanks for sharing 8)

I read your report on Meikle Bin before doing this. It was very informative and meant i didnt need a map - cheers.

malky_c wrote: Lots of hills in that route :lol:
Shameful isnt it :D

ChrisW wrote:Great report and fantastic pics, love the 'walk through' on the second video - made me laugh.... is that a near accident on the last vid, made me bleeding jump :shock:
i was smiling also Chris. Yes i nearly came off - did an emergenct stop....family jewels got it, ouch :shock:

rockhopper wrote:Nice area for a wee trip dooterbang. I've been up there a couple of times for the mountain bike trails....but being somewhat lazier/less fit than you, I parked in the Carron Valley car park. :D
I aint tried the trails yet, may do that the next time. It is great for a wee day out wothout much driving.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:51 pm

Cracking wee hill is Meikle Bin dooterbang,I have had many a walk up this one as I stay only 20min away.
The views from the top are not too shabby either,nice wee report
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby warbietoo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Looks like you had a good day. Great quality vids. I was riding at the Carron Valley trails on Sunday and its been the first day I've managed to get a view from the top of the trails. Nice report. Cheers.
warbietoo
Munro compleatist

Munros:49   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jester » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:38 pm

I was up on Tomtain with my daughter on saturday, you weren't the guy who took a breather at the car park were you? Wearing a Brazil shirt?
jester
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby dooterbang » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:23 pm

jester wrote:I was up on Tomtain with my daughter on saturday, you weren't the guy who took a breather at the car park were you? Wearing a Brazil shirt?

Sorry, wasn't me....not got a football top.

Oh and i don't take breaks :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby AlisonFox66 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:32 pm

this looks great
only done Meikle Bin once and it was a 'second choice' during some bad November weather that flooded the roads and prevented our original objective

you photos put it in a different light
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland