walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dodd & Latrigg

Dodd & Latrigg

Postby Phooooey » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:26 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Dodd, Latrigg

Date walked: 06/03/2011

Time taken: 3

Distance: 6.25 km

Ascent: 518m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Dodd

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The wife and I went for a lovely stroll up Dodd in the shadows of Skiddaw.
After climbing up the steepish slope to the left side of the waterfalls, the paths flattens off briefly before heading right at the signpost on the summit track to the quite magnificent views over Keswick and out over Derwent Water.
PICT0259.JPG
Path up by the waterfalls
PICT0263.JPG
Dramatic first view of Derwent on ascent

It was a glorious early March morning and the visibility was good, affording us views for miles down the valley.
PICT0267.JPG
Damson sits and waits at the best view on route up
PICT0270.JPG
Damson on Dodd
PICT0271.JPG
Summit Cairn of Dodd

We took the longer but less steep path round the summit and back to the car park before moving on to our second hill of the day - Latrigg.
There isn't a huge amount to say about Latrigg when you start your ascent from the car park just below the top but its another Wainwright ticked off and it took longer to clean the car from the mud in the car park than it took to walk up the small track to the top. The views are nice from there but we were spoilt by the others from earlier in the day.
PICT0272.JPG
View from Lansrigg over Derwent Water

I shall return soon to complete Skiddaw and the others (probably with Ellie) and hope for the same conditions.
Last edited by Phooooey on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Dodd & Latrigg

Postby Allan 601 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm certainly jealous of the "magnificent views". I did Dodd years ago when the summit was surrounded by trees.

I wonder whether I should do it again before I finish the Wainwrights - seems a shame to miss out on the views !
Allan 601
Stravaiging

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:223

Postby Phooooey » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:48 pm

There are still plenty of trees but the top is clear. The view just after the rise on the summit track is stunning especially as you don't get to see it all the way up the waterfalls path until you come over the ridge.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111

Postby Derek T » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:16 am

Allan 601 wrote:I wonder whether I should do it again before I finish the Wainwrights - seems a shame to miss out on the views !

It's worth doing again as it only takes an hour or two out of your day and in good weather the view really is good.

You can also reward yourself with some great home-cooked food in the tea room at the car park when you get back down :wink:
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Postby susanmyatt » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:53 pm

We really enjoyed Dodd, great views even before you reach the summit, a very enjoyable couple of hours :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland