walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lamachan Hill

Lamachan Hill

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Route description: Curleywee and Lamachan Hill, Glen Trool

Fionas included on this walk: Lamachan Hill

Donalds included on this walk: Curleywee, Lamachan Hill

Date walked: 27/03/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 958m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a rather disturbed night saving Katie's sandwiches from the Beast of Glen Trool we had quite an early start (we didn't put our watches forward because Katie said that it made Monday come quicker :? ) and headed along the cycle track towards Loch Dee. This goes through some nice oak woods with several burns tumbling down the hillside.
13 Glen Trool.JPG
Crossing the river by the bridge at Glenhead we stuck with the cycle path which now seems also to be the Southern Upland Way. My suggestions for short cuts were firmly knocked on the head and we continued as far as Loch Dee before climbing steeply (and I do mean steeply)
22 White Hill.JPG
up White Hill.
23 Loch Dee.JPG
Reaching more sensible slopes we carried on to Curleywee. What an odd name for a hill. :eh: Descending from Curleywee was quite rough with some scree
26 Curleywee.JPG
and then we went through rocky outcrops to Bennanbrack
24 Ridge to Lamachan.JPG
25 Ridge to Lamachan.JPG
where we encountered a herd of goats. Lamachan Hill was a short walk further on and had a good stone wind break to stop in for lunch. We descended along Cambrick Hill and towards Nick of the Lochans from which we dropped down beside the burn to join the cycle track again. This descent was steep and tussocky and I was glad that it was not me who suggested it as a short cut. :roll: It was then a very pleasant stroll back through the woods to the car park which by this time was pretty full. Driving back the views of Arran were very inviting so this is now firmly on the todo list for this year. The day was rounded off nicely by a stop for tea and cakes (rhubarb pie!) along the coast.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Lamachan Hill

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:03 pm

lovely looking walk with some stunning views :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby trekpete » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:13 am

Hi

I spoke to you both breifly on the summit of Curlywee on Sunday. Turned out a decent enough day when I got over to Lamachan later on.

Peter
trekpete

Munros:267   Corbetts:73
Fionas:53   Donalds:64
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:17   

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:26 am

Glad you had a good day. Hope you got some good photos.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland