walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bheula

Beinn Bheula

Postby David Lyall » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:05 pm

Route description: Beinn Bheula, near Lochgoilhead

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Bheula

Date walked: 27/03/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 790m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A walk with the Langcraigs led by Peter.
We parked at the side of the loch just passed the last of the caravans and chalets for Drimsynie, opposite Corrow Farm, we took the track up through the farm and followed it for 2-3 km we crossed the Lettermay Burn. Just after the bridge we branched of on what is part of the Cowal Way, a couple of white sticks were all I noticed by way of a marker.
After following the path through the woods we climb up the slope to the left of the cascades on the Sruth Burn, and continued above the falls with views towards the craggy East face of Beinn Bheula. We left the Cowal Way to head SSW and then SW in direction, over or round the grassy knoll avoiding the crags.
A final push and we were at the summit with the round trig point, a quick stop for a couple of pictures, there was a bit of cloud and some wind which made it cold, we got out of the wind and had a bite to eat, the sun came out and the weather improved for the rest of our trip.
Beinn Bheula (33).JPG
Gary, Marie, Cathy Gordon, Ian and Peter at the front,

Beinn Bheula (21).JPG
Looking towards Lochgoilhead

We then headed towards Creag Sgoilte. The direct descent from this hill is barred by crags, which we avoided on the west side. Once below the crags, we found several pieces of an aircraft scattered across the hillside.
Beinn Bheula (23).JPG
Langcraigs look for Survivors at the 1940's crash site,
Beinn Bheula (5).JPG
Gary checks out the wing.
These are the remains of a Grumman Martlet which crashed just below the crags of Creag Sgoilte in 1940. They are remarkably intact, you can find out more info at
http://www.aircrashsites-scotland.co.uk/martlet_bheula.htm

we then headed towards Lochan Nan Cnaimh, we had a very pleasant sit in the sunshine before a not very nice decent down the side of a burn
Beinn Bheula (19).JPG
Ian makes it across

and the along a break in the trees and a final 2-3km along a forest path which took us back to the cars.

Lots more pictures @ Flickr http://www.flickr.com/ under the group tag search for Langcraigs
:?
Thanks for an interesting walk Peter. :)
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Re: Beinn Bheula

Postby cameron » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Good day 8)
cameron

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:48 pm

some great pics there, looks bloody cold up top :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby David Lyall » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:03 am

Ye it was cold and windy when we got to the top but within half an hour we were in sunshine.
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:15 am

Fantastic report and pics! I'll definitely put Bheula on my 'to do ' list!

Cheers

Polly X
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby kevsbald » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:52 pm

A less frequented Corbett due to its hard-to-reach starting point. But a very interesting wee hill, I thought.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:46 pm

Did this walk a couple of days before you on the Friday though took a differant route as we took in the Graham Beinn Lochain, two reasonably tough hills to climb in my opinion.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby snodland » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:22 pm

Glad to see the snow has gone.
Although I belong to a walking group in Glasgow I must put in a good word for the Lang Craigs walkers as I went to a lecture they organised last Tuesday about Dumbarton and Cardross during the last war. It was very interesting and the group seemd jolly nice friendly people too.
snodland
Munro compleatist

Munros:89   Corbetts:17
Fionas:14   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5

Postby David Lyall » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:01 pm

Thanks for al the comments unfortunately I don’t usually get along to the Tuesday night meetings, due to it being my badminton night.
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland