walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Buidhe

Meall Buidhe

Postby Stretch » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:28 pm

Route description: Meall Buidhe

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon)

Date walked: 03/04/2011

Time taken: 2.15 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 650m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After yesterday's long walk with Alan and Gammy I wanted to take it easy today and with the forecast looking pretty bleak I landed on Meall Buidhe, a hill I'd been saving for a 'quickie'. After snapping a few long exposure shots at the Falls of Dochart I arrived at the start of the walk just after 10 and quickly got under way. I had passed through a big rain shower near Ben Lawers but when I set off I could see bits of blue sky. The wind was strong all morning, but the plod through the bogs kept me warm enough. Just as I reached the main ridge a shower came blowing in and I had to throw on the waterproofs. It was a tough final 10 mins to the summit with the sleat and rain in my face. There was a bit of a lul at the summit though and I was able to down my sandwich. I peeked over the summit cairn and could see another band coming in, so I bailed. I was still chewing the last bite of my sandwich when I set off from the top. Seconds later snow was blowing horizontally across me and the wind speed had doubled. Fifteen minutes later I was low enough to escape the wind and then the shower passed. It was a quick descent and I reached the car just over 2 hours after setting off - glad to be dry! Not much of a hill, but a good one to hold on to for a rainy day.

Just took a few pics today.

Falls of Dochart .jpg

Falls of Dochart 2.jpg

Falls of Dochart 4.jpg

Falls of Dochart 5.jpg

Looking across to Stuchd an Lochain.jpg

Meall Bhuidhe Summit.jpg
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Meall Buidhe

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:48 pm

Looks like you had a nice wee stretch of the legs on this one after our long day yesterday mate, your first 3/4 pictures are cracking(wee bit hdr)furthes I got today was round Tescos
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Stretch » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:59 pm

Nothing HDR there my man, just used a new lens filter to make the water effect. I'll be putting your video together later, gotta find that 'Riverdance' music :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:04 pm

Stretch wrote:Nothing HDR there my man, just used a new lens filter to make the water effect. I'll be putting your video together later, gotta find that 'Riverdance' music :lol:

May your search be fruitful
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:11 pm

Some nice pics there Stretch, keep meaning to have a thrash at some long exposures but to lazy to carry filters :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby jimandandrea » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:40 pm

Loved the Falls of Dochart photos - the new lens worked a treat :D . Must be something about that hill & the wind. We had to lie down behind the cairn to eat our lunch the wind was so strong.
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby JB likes a beer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi bigman,those photos are something else,good to see you keepin the fitness up i would have been struggling after what you guys done yesterday,whats this riverdance about? :D
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Munros:205   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Stretch » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:48 pm

jimandandrea wrote:Loved the Falls of Dochart photos - the new lens worked a treat :D . Must be something about that hill & the wind. We had to lie down behind the cairn to eat our lunch the wind was so strong.

I passed 2 couples up there today as I was descending, was one you guys? If so hello! I stayed behind the cairn myself, but as soon as I headed off I got thrashed!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby CheeseHat » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Stretch wrote:Not much of a hill, but a good one to hold on to for a rainy day.

But the views from the summit, on a clear day with good air clarity, are simply fantastic. I climbed this (and Stuchd an Lochain) on a sunny day in May '09 and the panorama was fantastic. One of my walking group bought a new camera immediately after climbing these two hills as he felt that his old camera just wasn't doing justice to the views we had witnessed.

Oh, yes, that was a good day out.
CheeseHat
Hill Bagger

Munros:170   Corbetts:42
Fionas:5   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby kinley » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:43 pm

Cracking shots of the Falls - presumably your soldering visor level filter?

Shame about the view from Meall Buidhe - it can be a cracker. :)
kinley

Postby Alan S » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:11 pm

Fine report and pics mate 8)
I couldnt have managed a walk today, Even the stairs were hard work, Well done
You left the good weather behind mate, I had a day of glorious weather in St Andrews today 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby skuk007 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:46 am

kinley wrote: presumably your soldering visor level filter?

Great long-exposure pics, would also be interested in what grade ND filter you had on. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Stretch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:16 pm

The filter is a B&W 110ND, 10 stop. These exposures were only 6-10 seconds long, but I'm looking to get conditions in which I can do something past 30 seconds.

There are some great examples of what you can do with a 10 stop filter here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?s=f8ce2a7e29957a6b476a5a0361585c8e&t=784867
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby blueyed » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:39 pm

uuu looks like somebody decided to carry a tripod..? :)) great pics stretch
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby Jockstar » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:37 pm

Well done on getting out on the Sunday after Saturday's wee jaunt. Like the filter effect...reminds me of the 50's... :lol:
Falls of Dochart are great... :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland