walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Spit-roasted dogs on Drochaide

Spit-roasted dogs on Drochaide

Postby kevsbald » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:18 am

Route description: Càrn na Drochaide, from Linn of Quoich

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn na Drochaide

Date walked: 02/04/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 500m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had read that this hill doesn't offer much to commend it. Au contraire, a mon avis. I had driven from Glasgow up to Braemar to meet MerryWalker who hadn't realised she had won WOTM. A nice surprise. We met at Keiloch to do Culardoch and Carn Liath but with torrential rain and clag, we decided to tackle something shorter and made our way to Linn of Quoich. As the road meandered on, I thought to myself that MW might think I was going to bump her off as you never know who you might bump into on these websites e.g. the Montyquatsch? Anyway, we discussed much from spit-roasted dogs (her own?) to infection control and as we set off from the provisional car park and started catching up. It is nice that you meet someone through a website and find common ground and rather than head directly up the hill, we took a more sedate route, which I would encourage. Thankfully, the weather broke and the views across the big boays got better and better. As we arrived at the summit, we had great views over to Beinn a Bhuird and Ben Avon - it brought back memories of my stag night and the Tors! Brilliant stuff. I had mis-correctly thought there was a viewfinder up there and looked around - little did I realise that the wee cairns were view-finders of the different glens. We descended down the direct route to the Linn of Quoich and found a dead frog, floating eerily in a wee puddle - quite bizarre and its eyes gazed at us rather evilly. We said our adieus and promised to catch up again another time. We both enjoyed this wee hill and would strongly recommend it, for one of these wee pads.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DSCF5309.JPG
From summit to Beinn a Bhuird
DSCF5307.JPG
Big Beinn a Bhuird - isn't she lovely?
DSCF5311.JPG
Les cuisses des grenouilles? Non merci
DSCF5312.JPG
Arty shot
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Spit-roasted dogs on Drochaide

Postby monty » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:56 am

Hi Kev,
Nice little walk there. Not met MW yet but will in the not so distant future. Nice to get out and about with another
WH-ighlander. If your going to bump someone off at least choose something with cliffs at the top :lol: Weather doesnt look too bad and I hope to see the back of that snow soon in time for me running around like a loonytune again :lol:

e.g. the Montyquatsch?
Sounds like a nutter, hope i dont bump into him :D
monty

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi Kev

Glad you got home safe, I really enjoyed this hill as well as your company. Thanks for driving all that way.

Thankfully, I didn't have stewed dog for tea :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

edit : you and your frog... :lol: great pictures
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:15 pm

:shock: Zombie frog :shock:
:lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Graeme D » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:47 pm

Nice one - the much talked about and postponed Braemar meet up at last eh??? I fear my report on this one from last May might have given you (and anyone else who read it) the wrong impression of this hill. There's nothing wrong with it - just the rather half-arsed and deranged way I tackled it :lol: . Another eye-catching title there again Kev. :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby CurlyWurly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:30 pm

Shame there is not a prize for walk report 'title' of the month Kev!
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:02 am

CurlyWurly wrote:Shame there is not a prize for walk report 'title' of the month Kev!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:37 pm

CurlyWurly wrote:Shame there is not a prize for walk report 'title' of the month Kev!

Oi! - that's what I aim for :lol:
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland