walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie

Ben Chonzie

Postby Magoo82 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:59 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 03/04/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I climbed my second Munro today up Ben Chonzie. The bus dropped us off at Invergeldie and after attaining the summit we made our way down the path to Comrie for a very welcome pint of Guinness before jumping back on the bus. Unfortunately the weather was a tad inclement near the top with horizontal sleet at times so we had to follow the fence just to be on the safe side. The cloud cleared a little when we were on the top, just enough to get a snap of the view down to Loch Turret.

glen lednock 001.jpg
Ben Chonzie covered with clouds

glen lednock 004.jpg
Me at the summit

glen lednock 010.jpg
View down to Loch Turret
Last edited by Magoo82 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magoo82
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   Islands:15

Re: Ben Chonzie

Postby stevemillar » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:36 am

I was first up to the summit that morning, so made the top in lovely weather...but the return leg was a whole new ballgame when that sleet came in. My nice warm wooly hat had been left in the car and then the drawstrings on my hood decided this was a fine moment to snap, so I descended clutching my hood to my ears, so if you saw someone with walking poles stuck from their head like a portable TV antenna....that was me.

Steve
stevemillar
Hill Bagger

Munros:71   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Magoo82 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:59 pm

stevemillar wrote:I was first up to the summit that morning, so made the top in lovely weather...but the return leg was a whole new ballgame when that sleet came in. My nice warm wooly hat had been left in the car and then the drawstrings on my hood decided this was a fine moment to snap, so I descended clutching my hood to my ears, so if you saw someone with walking poles stuck from their head like a portable TV antenna....that was me.

Steve

We stopped and spoke to a guy who mentioned that he'd left his hat in the car so i'm guessing that must have been you. I was in a group of about a dozen walkers.
Magoo82
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   Islands:15

Postby davetherave » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:37 pm

We just got back from a high over night camp on Sunday evening. We were catching the corbetts at the head of lochearn.

Weather was pretty poor through out. We did however get a good couple hours near the end of our trip on the Sunday afternoon with nice views over to Ben Chonzie..

Ps. The chipper is super in Comrie,well worth the visit.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Menzies3 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:22 am

My son and I along with two friends climbed Ben Chonzie yesterday (Tuesday). It was all good until we got to the top and the mist rolled in and we somehow lost my friends. I found out how easy it is to get disorientated and lose your path. This was a scary experience and one I don't wish to repeat.
I appeal to amateurs like me to get yourself familiar with GPS systems and research your route well before taking this on. I also made the mistake of stepping on the green mossy stuff and landed thigh deep in mud. :(
Had we not been lost at that moment I would have seen the funny side. I felt yesterday like the kind of person that ends up getting rescued by Mountain Rescue and had it not been for two helpful young men with GPS on their phone - we might well have been. A lot of lessons were learnt yesterday and I have a renewed respect for even the humblest of Munros!!
Menzies3
Mountaineer

Munros:6   

Postby Jockstar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:58 pm

Ben chonzie is regarded as being a boring walk and your experience I'm sure would poo poo that thought. It goes to show how easy it is to get disorientated so always have map and compass. Remember GPS might not work. As I managed to climb the same monro twice when starting out gives you an idea of how easy it is to look foolish and it can be dangerous.
Courses are available and well worth doing. :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Menzies3 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:09 pm

Yes, I did think about a course and ironically my mum and dad were telling me just last weekend that I should but it just takes an experience like that to learn your own lessons. Luckily I got away with it this time!!
Menzies3
Mountaineer

Postby Jockstar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:03 pm

The best thing about WH is there is loads of useful information and always people who will give advice. :D
Happy climbing :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Menzies3 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks - it hasn't put me off anyway. Thinking about Ben Vorlich next. :)
Menzies3
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland