walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Gorm Horseshoe

Carn Gorm Horseshoe

Postby GillC » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:06 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 02/04/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1310m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Snap decision to head up to Carn Gorm to complete the horseshoe of 4 Munros. Party of 3, kitted up and raring to go.

Bit of a detour meant a late start and didnt get on to the path up the hill until nearly 10 am and the prospect of missing a free dinner in Glasgow for one of the team meant we were against the clock.

Following the Invervar Burn up from the road, it was easy to see the results of the recent snow melt. High white water and impressive waterfalls on the steep slope up through the forest, as well as a lot of water coming off the surrounding lands on to the path we ascended on. Couple of guys just ahead of us went off on the path to the right that we would be coming back down on.

Cleared the forest and the wobbly bridge,, aptly named, then had a clear view up the slopes to the top of Carn Gorm. with 2 parties of climbers in front of us on a clearly defined, zig zagging path.

Reached the top of Carn Gorm, (3376ft) around 12, time for a cuppa and a try out of the storm shelter. 3 of us tucked up in what can only be described as a giant shower cap with a window. Really effective piece of kit though, totally windproof and if your sitting on your pack, up off the ground, it was really dry and snug in pretty strong winds.

Crawled out of our snug wee 'bothy' and headed off to peak 2, Meall Garbh, reached the top around 1pm. Weather had been unexpectedly mild, very windy in the open but clear, with fantastic visibility. Had a smashing view of the humpback silhouette of Schiehallion to the North East and down over Loch Rannoch.

Skipped over the summit of Meall a' Bharr, over 3000ft but not Munro classified, then on over to Munro number 3, Carn Mairg at 3415 ft. The weather had been holding, windy and bright but the wind was starting to whip in some cloud and during our break we could look over and down on what initially appeared to be fast moving low cloud, but on heading out to the final summit, it turned to hail and snow, again, amazingly mild but still VERY windy. Bit of a whiteout while crossing one of the larger snow fields to reach the top, where luckily, it cleared up again.

By the time we were heading off the top, sun was out again, couple of steep stretches allowing a revisit to my youth and slid down over the snow, glacading style. Amazing distant views in all directions giving us a taste of other peaks to come. The route down took us back over a sloping shoulder and then steeply down to the woodland/ Invervar Burn and back to the car, just in front of the 2 boys who went out on the reverse route, beat them, now, that felt good! lol

There were a couple of long slogs on this,,up and on to Carn Gorm, then the last peak had a bit of a climb across a snow field which was more ice than snow meaning we had to be VERY careful with the footing. But in between, rolling drops and climbs,,nothing too taxing and even managing to break into a run between peaks and on the downward stretches.

So, 4 Munros in a little over 6.5 hrs, doubled my bag list in one day. Smashing day
Attachments
IMG00787-20110402-1412.jpg
Me!
IMG00781-20110402-1304.jpg
Schiehallion
IMG00785-20110402-1411.jpg
Heading out for the next peak
IMG00791-20110402-1518.jpg
Who ordered the cloud? thats supposed to be Schiehallion!!!
IMG00796-20110402-1530.jpg
Me on the downward stretch
IMG00789-20110402-1516.jpg
Rainbow over John and Schiehallion,,,
Last edited by GillC on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Re: Carn Gorm Horseshoe

Postby Scotjamie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:05 pm

Well done - enjoyed the report and the pics of four nice hills - here's to many more
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:29 pm

congrats on doubling your tally in one go......excellent :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby xpfloyd » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:34 pm

Well done and nice report.

Ill be tackling these 4 on Saturday. Do you think I should take my crampons or will I do without?

Eddie
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Postby GillC » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:30 pm

Hi Eddie, Definately no need from crampons, the few snow 'fields' we crossed were pretty small and easily dug in with the side of your boot. Temps and rainfall this week will have seen most of them off too I would have thought. Really not worth it.

Best of luck,,I was a bit daunted at first but after the initial slog up Carn Gorm,,it was a fair wee belt across the rest of the peaks,

Enjoy

Gill
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby xpfloyd » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:11 am

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to these 4.
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland