walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Fyne day out on Beinn Bhuidhe

A Fyne day out on Beinn Bhuidhe

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:25 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhuidhe, via Glen Fyne

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 26/03/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 948m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A combined cycle and walking trip up Glen Fyne. I parked the car at the walkers car park at the head of Loch Fyne. I was soon on my bike and across the river and heading up the west side. After 40 odd minutes of avoiding highland coos and their mess i reached the end of the road and locked the bike up.I sat by the river and had bite to eat before a 25 minute walk to the bottom of the hill.
016.JPG
nice spot for lunch

I was glad i had the bike, (which was kindly loaned to me be my neighbour, and it was still brand new !,) as it seems like quite a walk in to this quite remote munro.
026.JPG
first view up the gully

I was pleasantly surprised by the path up the hill.It was straight up the gully following waterfall after waterfall.
030.JPG
waterfall

032.JPG
waterfall 2

033.JPG
waterfall 3

I stopped to take lots of pics but they just don`t show how beautiful it really is. I loved this walk as it was unusual for me to be so close to the water all the way up, and as i was going solo i could crack on at my own pace. Using hands and knees at some parts really got me working up a sweat and there was one or two dodgy scrambles on rocky shelves with huge drops down the ravine to contend with, but loved it.
040.JPG
top of gully

I got over the top of the gully after about an hour / hour and half to see that i still had a huge part of the mountain to go as i could see the summit ridge far off in front of me. The weather was good and the views were great behind me. I had a wee twenty minute break and just lay in the grass and closed my eyes for five minutes. At this point i was still in shorts and tshirt but decided to wrap up a bit as i could see the clouds above and around getting darker. Sure enough after ten minutes it started to rain, but not for long. There were more steep scrambles up on the latter part until I reached the wee cairn that lets you know you`ve reached the ridge.
056.JPG
cairn

I headed south up and along the ridge sometimes crossing huge patches of snow, but easily negociable.
057.JPG
nearly there

Got to the top at 2.20 pm after leaving the car park about 11. There were decent views around although the Ben Cruachan ridge, and thankfully that inluded my "nemesis" Stob Diamh, was obscured by clouds.
065.JPG

Took a couple of pics and then i was off back down again and stopped for lunch, before heading down around the other end of the ridge and down the grassy slopes towards the head of the gully. I was initially going to go down the north side of the gully but decided it was less exciting and went down the way i came up. I got back on my bike and headed down the other side of the river, which was much muckier, and through a gravel pit/quarry back to the car park. A great day out on a great mountain. :D
Last edited by tomyboy73 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: A Fyne day out on Beinn Bhuide

Postby yokehead » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:43 pm

Enjoyed this, thanks. I like the look of the approach route alongside the water with the steep bit at the end. :D Still a ways to go after that though!

What state was your neighbour's new bike in at the end? :lol:
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby PeteR » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:53 pm

Nice report. I have this hill still to do. I do like the look of the ridge up to the summit. It's the approach that's put me off so far. But I will definitely have to get this one under my belt sooner rather than later I think :)
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby tomyboy73 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:15 pm

yokehead wrote:Enjoyed this, thanks. I like the look of the approach route alongside the water with the steep bit at the end. :D Still a ways to go after that though!

What state was your neighbour's new bike in at the end? :lol:

thanks, the bike was alright, nothing a wee wipe with a cloth couldn`t handle
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby tomyboy73 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:18 pm

PeteR wrote:Nice report. I have this hill still to do. I do like the look of the ridge up to the summit. It's the approach that's put me off so far. But I will definitely have to get this one under my belt sooner rather than later I think :)

thanks, if you don`t have a bike i think it would only take about an hour to walk in, 2 guys left the car park just before me, walked up the east side of the river and had caught up with me after i stopped for lunch which only took me about twenty minutes max
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby skuk007 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:45 pm

tomyboy73 wrote:...i think it would only take about an hour to walk in...

I'm not the fastest walker, nor the slowest and walk-in took me an hour and a half. The same walk out was murder at the end of the day. Take a bike if you can!

Nice pics, liked those. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Re: A Fyne day out on Beinn Bhuidhe

Postby Paula Hubens » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:21 pm

Great pictures! When I did Ben Bhuidhe there was more water coming down the gully. But still I think I wouldn't have done it if there had been less water. That looks pretty steep in your pics!!
Paula Hubens

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland