walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Modlach Tower, Glenesk.

Modlach Tower, Glenesk.

Postby IainG » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:18 pm

Date walked: 24/07/2009

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a thoroughly enjoyable walk yesterday, I decided to head back up my local glen, Glenesk, to go and have a look at another local landmark, St Andrews Tower or the Modlach Tower as it's also known. Another short but very rewarding walk.

I parked up near Millden Lodge in Glenesk. A good spot with room for 4 or 5 cars. This is often used as the start of the walk up the Corbett, Mount Battock. The GR is NO 540 789.

I'd looked at the map and there was a track leading up the hillside opposite Fernybank. I found it, but it was fairly overgrown.

The track fades out into a cabbage field (!), but at the top of the field, it appears again. It leads onto the flat expanse of the hillside above Mudloch Cottage.

I think this was looking towards Mount Battock.

This is what I'd come here to see. The first view of the Tower.

Closer, it is an impressive structure.

It has a door leading to a chamber big enough for 3 or 4 to stand and shelter. The sign on the door gives some history.

In the distance, I could make out the monument on the Hill of Rowan, yesterday's walk.

There's a big masonic connection with this monument, hence the wind vane on top. Well worth a read up online.

Another fine walk in Glenesk.
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Modlach Tower, Glenesk.

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:29 pm

Is this the tower you can see between Glens Clova and Prosen? I was wondering what it was... still having trouble loading those pics...
mountain coward

Postby IainG » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:39 pm

No, the tower between Clova and Prosen is the Airlie tower. Please don't give me any more ideas or I'll be over there checking it out!! :D :D

There must be a problem with your connection re: the photos. They should load in a flash as it's the link to Flickr which is normally very fast.
IainG
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:02 pm

Well I'm on dial-up here at home but I was at work earlier using their networked broadband and still had problems...
mountain coward

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:57 am

Iaing wrote:No, the tower between Clova and Prosen is the Airlie tower. Please don't give me any more ideas or I'll be over there checking it out!! :D :D

Yes :D Now you've finished the Munros, I can see you getting serious on towers and monuments :D

I like visiting these things too, always provide a good objective.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:17 am

IainG wrote:No, the tower between Clova and Prosen is the Airlie tower. Please don't give me any more ideas or I'll be over there checking it out!! :D :D

There must be a problem with your connection re: the photos. They should load in a flash as it's the link to Flickr which is normally very fast.

I'm back at work again today and the photos aren't loading at all - I think the answer lies in them being on Flickr - wonder if it's when Flickr is getting too many hits?
mountain coward

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:50 pm

MC, if it helps I find pics from Flickr load very slow at certain times. However, once the pics have loaded once - even if you have only looked at them on Flickr and not Walkhighlands - your computer will cache them and they will then load instantly every time after that. I use Flickr for storing old images so I don't mean to criticise it - you can load huge photos to it which much be really expensive for them to store and serve.

They are fast enough to keep me happy though - I'm only taking about 6 secs or so per pic.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:15 pm

Well I've managed to get to see most of them now but it's taken a few attempts and they took a long time to load on either machine/system...
mountain coward

Postby IainG » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:10 pm

MC, cheers for persevering. I'll try a smaller size image for the next walk reoport I do and see how that goes.

I've got one I done today, Mount Keen from Invermark, and I'll try and stick that up later this evening if I'm not drunk 8)
IainG
Munro compleatist

Postby Freewheelin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:33 am

Take it you were sober enough Iain?
Looks like you got a good day for it - some nice photos in your Mount Keen walk. 8)
Freewheelin

Munros:184   Corbetts:32
Fionas:7   Donalds:21

Postby kiddmeister1 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:07 am

Hello.. do you have a gpx. For this route.. would love to give it a go..
Tia :wink:
kiddmeister1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland