walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Coyles of Muick

The Coyles of Muick

Postby Alastair S » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:47 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: The Coyles of Muick

Date walked: 05/02/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 13.8 km

Ascent: 501m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

20110205.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Coyles of Muick profile.jpg

Still no proper boots so another short low level stretch to keep my eye in. Did think of taking myself off to Lock Lee & Hunt Hill but didn't get my act together in time so headed for Ballater again. The Coyles of Muick have been on my radar for some time and having got a decent view of them the previous week while on Pannanich Hill I decided now was the time to scratch this particular itch. The first problem was where to park. Seeing as Birkhall is a [sometime] royal residence thought I best not leave the car near there. The Glen Muick road is single track with passing places but the early part has some grassy run off that would be out of anyone's way, so I pulled in near the turning to the Birkhall road. In the end there was no one at home @ Birkhall & the area where the tarmac road ends (Mill of Sterin, NO349928) is large enough to park several cars. Anyway had my lunch in the car and was on my way by 1:30pm.

Weather was reasonable - high thin cloud with blue showing through with a stiff breeze high up. Going was easy through forestry tracks that for the most part were as per the map. The part of the forest I cut through at the top was a recently harvested bit with quite a few fallen trees to negotiate as well, so was heavy going. But it wasn't for too long and there was no deer fencing at the top. Made for Meall Dubh first. A few photos & then on to the main peak. Part of the reason for coming up here was to see if the large prominence at the top was natural or a big cairn. As you can see its the latter. One side has collapsed making clambering to its top a doodle.

Deeside & Ballater from Meall Dubh

Mount Keen & The Coyles of Muick from Meall Dubh

Coyles of Muick Cairn

View North from The Coyles
Large version here

The true peak is a couple of hundred metres to the south, with decent views south. Off the summit I continued SW for a bit to avoid the steepest bit and then made for the forest. Not so lucky with deer fences here but not a problem to scale (if you don't have a dog). Had to do this twice as the fence protected some young trees. Soon back to forestry track - fairly muddy here due to recently forestry activity.

True summit of The Coyles from the cairn. Loch Muick to the left, Lochnagar to the right. (HDR treated photo)

Coyles Cairn

Loch Muick & beyond

The Linn of Muick was my next destination. Been past them on my MTB last summer but now I was equipped with my newish DLSR. Spent a good 40 minutes taking snaps here (will post more on Flickr over the next few days) so I've taken half an hour off my trip time. Next time I'm this way I'm going to try getting down below the waterfall but it looks like it might be a bit tricky.

Linn of Muick

Muick In Motion

Flickr set over here.

Revisited the falls a month later with my new 10-stop filter. Here are a couple of the result.

Steps

Linn Of Muick (Vertorama)
Last edited by Alastair S on Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: The Coyles of Muick

Postby Alan S » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:54 pm

Nice report there alastair love the hdr pics 8) The weather was certainly better in the east
I think i can see stretch on top of mount keen :lol:
Last edited by Alan S on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Stretch » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:55 pm

Great pics Alastair, especially those last two shots. Gammy and I waved from Mount Keen, the other two were too busy playing with their ice axes though :lol: :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:24 pm

Great report and fantastic pics (as always) - thanks Alastair , being so close to us I'm going to have to give that one a try soon :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:36 am

Brilliant. The pics with the long exposure of the water look really atmospheric.... do you carry a tripod or have you got one of this mini joby things?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:46 am

Cracking walk. Love the pictures and views especially MK :D :thumbup:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Alastair S » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:13 am

Thanks all :D

Paul Webster wrote:Brilliant. The pics with the long exposure of the water look really atmospheric.... do you carry a tripod or have you got one of this mini joby things?

Had my tripod with me for this one as I knew I'd want it for the waterfall. For longer walks I don't bother as its too time consuming faffing about with it.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Postby malky_c » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:14 am

Hmm, what to do with this one. Combine with Conachcraig maybe? Needs something else to justify the drive for me. Looks like good views anyway - very atmospheric in parts. Like your river/waterfall shots, too. 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:37 am

Nice report Alastair,hope you seen us waving at you from Mount Keen
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Alastair S » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:47 pm

malky_c wrote:Hmm, what to do with this one. Combine with Conachcraig maybe? Needs something else to justify the drive for me

Or Creag Ghiubhais perhaps?
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Postby fingeez » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:51 pm

Hey Alastair

Looks like a nice walk, some cracking pics aswell :)
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Islands:11

Postby Alastair S » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:33 pm

Now added a couple more photos after another visit to the fall in early March & here's one more :)

Ladder by Alastair S, on Flickr
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:51 pm

very nice 8)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland