walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn) & Stuc a'Chroin

Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn) & Stuc a'Chroin

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:51 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 29/08/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well this weekend saw me climbing my 2nd and 3rd munros, Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn) & Stuc a'Chroin, however my plans almost failed at the start.

After climbing Ben Lomond the previous weekend and finding myself not being able to think about anything else but hillwalking all week, I planned my next climb. Realising there were two Ben Vorlichs I looked into the starting point for the one at Loch Earn - Ardvorlich House - Simple, well as it turns out NO!. I opened up google and quickly found Ardvorlich House and jotted down the postcode - Stupidly not reading the address.

Sunday morning came and I picked up a mate of mine at 7am in the hope that we would be at the start point by 8am. On route I stopped at an Asda and bought some sandwiches then punched in the postcode into the satnav and we were off. An hour later I was quickly realising something was wrong as we were approaching Ardlui and it was saying I had arrived. Ill check my map I thought - Nope! I realised I had forgot to lift it. Ok plan B, ill check the internet on my phone - Nope! no network reception. Eventually after driving around a bit and swearing alot at myself a nice chap in a shop let me look at his map and we were on our way again.

We arrived at Lochearnhead and headed onto the extremely narrow South road at Loch Earn looking for Ardvorlich House. At this point I still hadnt realised that not only were there two Ben Vorlichs but there were also two Ardvorlich Houses and the one I was looking out for was the wrong one. Eventually after crossing the hump back bridge a few times in each direction I realised this was actually the starting point and just before 9am we were on our way.

IMG_0927.JPG
Starting up the hill from Ardvorlich House

IMG_0930.JPG
Moon still out

IMG_0931.JPG
Getting Closer (We thought)

We eventually arrived at the ridge below and the wind was crazy. It was gusting so much that it was hard to keep upright and we found ourselves walking this bit leaning over into the wind.

IMG_0935.JPG
Windy Ridge

After being practically blown up the last section we reached the trig point and made our way along to the cairn for the customary flag photo. It was unbelievably hard to stand in the one spot for this photo because of the wind.

IMG_0940.JPG
Windy flag shot

IMG_0943.JPG
Looking back to the trig Point

After finding what shelter we could from the wind we settled down to take in the scenery and have a sandwich - Disaster!!! I had left my sandwiches in the car. Luckily my mate had plenty to go round. I really wasnt with it today !!. When we were ready to set off towards Stuc we still were not sure if the rock scramble would be possible in this wind.

IMG_0949.JPG
Looking across to Stuc a'Chroin

IMG_0951.JPG
Looking back to Ben Vorlich

Soon we arrived at the foot of the rock face and decided that we would go for it. A bit nervous at first we made our way closer. Standing at the bottom we tried to plan our best route and once we both agreed we went for it. When we were close in at the rock it was still windy but not as bad as before, however we still had to watch out for rapid changes of direction.

IMG_0954.JPG
Looking up the rock face

Slowly but surely we climbed higher. My addrenalin was pumping and the pain in my right knee had gone. We reached the top of the scramble section and looked back at what we had just done - What a rush!

IMG_0955.JPG
Looking back down from the top

The scramble was by far the best bit of the whole day. The excitment and fear all mixed in together as we were making our way up was immense. It looked intimidating at first but wasnt too bad once you were up close and I recommend anyone doing these munros to do it as it made our day.
We now headed fromn the first cairn up to the summit and again took the customary flag shot. By this time my knee pain had came back and I was again struggling to stand in the wind.

IMG_0959.JPG
Stuc a'Chroin Summit

IMG_0963.JPG
My mate Jamie

IMG_0965.JPG
View from the top

After another sandwich and a little break from the wind we started heading back down. By the time we got to the car I was limping badly due to my knee problem and was having to use walking poles in an attempt to keep it from bending but all I could think about was how amazing the day was.

From almost not finding the start point after forgetting my map, to leaving my sandwiches in the car, to scrambling up Stuc a'Chroin and finally limping off the mountain - I couldnt have wished for a better day :D I have either lost the plot or I have got the hillwalking bug badly. Roll on the next one !

(5.5 Hours round trip with two 30 min breaks)

Eddie
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Re: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn) & Stuc a'Chroin

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:32 pm

All part of the fun! Just make sure you learn from any "mistakes" you may have made :) . Good to hear you enjoyed the scrambling - IMO the more facets you can incorporate into a day out, the more you will enjoy it.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:47 pm

I finished my job on Friday and started a new one today so my head was in other places. Hopefully wont make so many errors in future climbs :)
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby GillC » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:34 pm

Hey,,youre doing Carn Gorm horseshoe this week and Im swapping with you,,doing Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin week after next, heres hoping we get the same weather you got,,wind aside. This will take me into double figs for Munros,,just before I head off on the West Highland Way at the end of the month,,,upwards and onwards indeed.

Gill
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby xpfloyd » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:09 am

Lol I'm doing the whw on 14th to 19th may also and the carn gorm horseshoe will also take me into double figures this weekend. Spooky :)

Good luck with it all

Eddie
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:45 am

Heading for these two on Sunday, a bit nervous about the scramble, but slightly more at ease after reading your report :D Hopefully get the weather you got but without the wind
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby xpfloyd » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:54 am

Assuming there is no ice on the scramble bit you should find it great fun. It looks daunting from afar but once you get up close its easy enough to find routes through. Doubt I would try if there was snow/ice though
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby jlren88 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:27 pm

hoping to do this one this weekend but not sure if I'm keen to do Stuc a' Chroin being inexperienced! Looks great
jlren88
Ambler

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland