walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Mor (White Hackle Challenge)

Buachaille Etive Mor (White Hackle Challenge)

Postby Bruadair » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 10/04/2011

Time taken: 7.45 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had been looking forward to this walk for a while, and had a reason of The WHite Hackle Munro Challenge from which I was weathered off last week to spur me on and more so with "2 Scots" due home from their tour next weekend.The MWIS web site for West Highlands noted cloudy with 30% chance of clear summit, which was 100% better than last weekend. I arrived at parking area at Altnafeadh at 7.45am and set off some 10 minutes later.
P1010333.JPG
Stob Dearg from parking area at Altnafeadh (NN220562)
after passing the SMC hut at Lagangarbh (NN220559) and just before entering the Coire na Tulaich I came across a number of stags and managed to capture this old boy on camera.
P1010339.JPG
Met this old boy as I headed up Coire na Tulaich
walking further into the Coire I stopped at approx' NN219552 for a photo shoot break......
P1010344.JPG
View up Coire na Tulaich from approx (NN219552)
P1010345.JPG
Looking up at Stob Dearg
P1010346.JPG
Stob nan Cabar & Stob Coire Raineach of wee bookle ilk
a bit further up the Coire I again stopped for a photo break
P1010349.JPG
Looking back down Coire to Altnafeadh from NN217547
P1010350.JPG
Three fine Falkirk lads heading up Coire
On reaching the ridge line at the top of Coire na Tulaich I got the picture for what lay ahead
P1010361.JPG
The no I'm not a Munro Stob na Doire from top of Coire

P1010362.JPG
Route to Stob Dearg summit
On reaching summit of Stob Dearg one of the Falkirk lads offered to take the photo message for "2 Scots"
P1010369.JPG
Message for "2 Scots" from Stob Dearg summit
then it was a well earned cuppa and sandwich before some summit shots.........unfortunately the quality is not best due to light cloud / hazy sun, but at least summit was clear and weather warm and dry.
P1010380.JPG
Wee Bookle with Aonach Eagach in far ground
P1010379.JPG
Looking down into Start of Glen Etive and out to Rannoch Moor
After the coffee and photo break it was time to descend Stob Dearg and head along ridge line to the assent of Stob na Doire.......which after negotiating and from a bit further along the ridge line (approx' NN198530) with Stob Coire Altuim ahead, I stopped to take a few photo's
P1010402.JPG
Looking back up at Stob na Doire

P1010403.JPG
View south from between Stob na Doire and Stob Coire Altruim from approx (NN198530)
P1010405.JPG
View up Stob Coire Altruim
P1010409.JPG
View down and along Lairig Gartain
from here I was able to survey the descent back off the ridge, but before that I had the matter of Stob Coire Altruim and Stob na Broige to negotiate (in both directions).

On finally reaching the summit of Stob na Broige, I met up with the Falkirk lads again, who for the 2nd time did the honours with the message for "2 Scots" which also confirmed I had completed Buachaille Etive Mor
P1010417.JPG
2nd message for "2 Scots" from summit of Stob na Broige and in turn complete the Munro Challenge
...time for a truely well earned cuppa and some more photo's before heading back
P1010418.JPG
View back along ridge to Stob Coire Altruim, followed by in centre Stob na Doire and Stob Dearg in far ground
P1010425.JPG
View across Lairig Eilde to Stob Coire Sgreamhach and Bidean nam Bian
P1010433.JPG
View across Buachaille Etive Beag to Aonach Eagach (can't wait to do this)
The Falkirk lads had dropped SW off the back of Stob na Broige, but I desided on the documented route and set off back the way, up and over Stob Coire Altruim to ridge line where I descended from approx' NN202529 and zig zagged my way down to track at NN199542
P1010436.JPG
Back at ground level looking up at descent route (from NN202529 down to NN199542)
...thereafter is was a straight walk out along Lairig Gartain to join the A82 at NN213559
P1010442.JPG
View West along Glencoe
P1010444.JPG
Stob Dearg from parking area at NN213559
and then a walk East along the A82 to the parking area at Altnafeadh.

So to sum up.....a great day, with very good weather conditions and the White Hackle Munro Challenge accomplished....RESULT!.
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Re: Buachaille Etive Mor (White Hackle Challenge)

Postby ChrisW » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:32 pm

Congratulations bruadair, great walk, great pics :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Bruadair » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:56 pm

ChrisW wrote:Congratulations bruadair, great walk, great pics :D

Thanks Chris..............It was a great walk, a bit wooden legged today but worth it.

Regards.......................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby PeteR » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:03 pm

Great pictures. Especially the stag :D Did this hill a few years ago and it is a tough one isn't it. But worth it 8)
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Bruadair » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:39 am

PeteR wrote:Great pictures. Especially the stag :D Did this hill a few years ago and it is a tough one isn't it. But worth it 8)

Hi Peter,
Thanks........Yes well worth the pain.......after scaling Stob Dearg...Stob na Doire is a bit sadistic, but to look back along ridge line from Stob na Broige is fantastic and one of those wow type moments.

Regards............B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby sketch » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:52 am

Great report, you like your photo breaks, and they are well worth it the photos are fabulous, love the stag, every time I see a stag my camera has been put away already or something silly like that, :D
sketch
Mountaineer

Munros:19   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2

Postby Bruadair » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:02 am

sketch wrote:Great report, you like your photo breaks, and they are well worth it the photos are fabulous, love the stag, every time I see a stag my camera has been put away already or something silly like that, :D

Thanks Sketch...........It's not so much as loving the photo breaks (but I do).....it's really that I'm knackered and need a break....so pretend I've stopped to take photo's......so in turn take some photo's.

Regards...............B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:37 am

Cracking report, can't wait to hit the 2 bookils, looks like you got a result wit the weather too 8)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Bruadair » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:44 pm

lomondwalkers wrote:Cracking report, can't wait to hit the 2 bookils, looks like you got a result wit the weather too 8)

Thanks LWs...............Big B was a great walk, tiring with all the required assent and descent but ex-hill-erating...due to other committments I'm stuck at ground level this weekend, but have an eye on the Wee B the following weekend.

Regards......................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby monty » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:56 pm

Excellent Bruadair,
Good walk for a good cause. You got some nice pictures even with the slight haze. Great picture of the stag. :D
monty

Postby Bruadair » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:12 pm

monty wrote:Excellent Bruadair,
Good walk for a good cause. You got some nice pictures even with the slight haze. Great picture of the stag. :D

Cheers Monty,
Appreciate the comments, was definately a good day on all counts.........I love to see Stags parading about and when they are alert they look so regal, this boy looked to be getting on in years (bit like myself).

Regards.................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:16 pm

Bruadair, that was a fantastic effort. Very proud of you and what you accomplished for the challenge :D

Excellent report and pictures. I walked with my club and my Munro turned into a Corbett because of certain things which would be prudent not to go into on here.(I still walked a wonderful hill though - report to follow). I do still intend to do this :)

Very well done and best wishes :D :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Bruadair » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:32 pm

Merry-walker wrote:Bruadair, that was a fantastic effort. Very proud of you and what you accomplished for the challenge :D

Excellent report and pictures. I walked with my club and my Munro turned into a Corbett because of certain things which would be prudent not to go into on here.(I still walked a wonderful hill though - report to follow). I do still intend to do this :)

Very well done and best wishes :D :D

Hi Merry,

Thank you for the very kind comments..........albeit it was a little hazy...the weather certainly helped make the day all the more enjoyable. I look forward to the report of your weekend ventures....well the ones you into anyway.

Best regards...........................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby steven671 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:44 pm

hi Brudair,good walk for the cause,and two at that,steven and i met you going up beinn each and stuc a`chroin when you told me about the white hackle,said we would do it,well we did put our names down for ben cruachan and stob daimh,they were accepted and we sent our pic`s in and we have never heard anymore about it,no reply of thank`s or even to say they got the pic`s....mmmmm ah well.you are clocking up the hills faster than us i see.

regard`s steven and i
steven671
Mountaineer

Munros:26   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland