walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunshine in Ardverikie Forest

Sunshine in Ardverikie Forest

Postby PeteR » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:54 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chlachair, Geal Chàrn & Creag Pitridh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlachair, Creag Pitridh, Geal chàrn (Laggan)

Date walked: 11/04/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a walk I had first attempted in the early part of the winter, but deep snow, together with worsening weather had seen me off. Having spent a while in the tranquility of Lochan na h-Earba at the time I knew it was a place I wanted to return to. I was feeling fit(ish) :lol: and so thought this was a good route for the weekend. Arriving at the parking area it was clear I wasn't the only one thinking that, as it was looking nice and busy :D

Feeling fit(ish) :lol: I'd decided to add an extra mile to the route and ascend Beinn a'Chlachair via the long south west ridge and make a good long day of it.

I was definitely blessed with the weather. Although there was a haze for most of the day it was predominantly blue sky, sun and warm. What breeze there was early on was definitely welcome. If only I'd brought the sun cream with me :shock:
DSCF7740.JPG
The start of the day

DSCF7746.JPG
idyllic

DSCF7741.JPG
First target of the day

The walk in to the first small lochan before Lochan na h-Earba was easy pickings, and was then followed by a great little walk to the ruin of Lubvan
DSCF7755.JPG
Lubvan

And a lovely walk alongside Allt Cam with the Culra Munros coming into view
DSCF7757.JPG
Aonach Beag

DSCF7758.JPG
Allt Cam

Then came the walk up the south west ridge :lol: The profile of the hill suggested this should be reasonably straightforward. The guide I had read suggested the same. Not technically difficult perhaps, but after a while I was feeling every step, as it seemed steeper and tougher than I was expecting. Some good views were opening up though
DSCF7770.JPG
Views heading up Beinn a'Chlachair

And then the boulders and rocks :shock:
DSCF7782.JPG
Heading up Beinn a'Chlachair

Eventually though I hit the summit, I had hoped for an icream van pehaps or a pub selling real ale :lol: But no such luck. What I did have were more good views :D
DSCF7788.JPG
Aonach Beag from Beinn a'Chlachair

DSCF7792.JPG
Route to Geal Charn

It was more of the same getting off the hill, with rocks, rocks and more rocks to navigate - all of which was sapping energy from me. Even so, I was still having a ball. Views back to the summit were good too
DSCF7793.JPG
Looking back

The descent to bealach leamhain looks steep, but isn't as bad as you might think. I was soon down and on my way to Geal Charn, but not before meeting the WH celebrity - Wilson - and his mum and dad who were on an epic 5 hill challenge 8)
On the descent you get a great view of a small lochan on the bealach :D
DSCF7801.JPG
Bealach Leamhain lochan

I chose to follow the stalkers path up to the saddle between Geal Charn and Creag Pitridh for the up and down of Geal Charn first and then to Creag Pitridh. I seemed to be having a problem following the path on Geal Charn but eventually, after more fun and games on the boulders and rocks, the summmit and cairn came into view, with some good views from the top
DSCF7816.JPG
Geal Charn summit

DSCF7822.JPG
Creag Pitridh from Geal Charn

DSCF7826.JPG
View to Beinn a'Chlachair

DSCF7831.JPG
View from Geal Charn

By now I was really feeling it. Legs were getting sore, feet were burning and to make it worse I had a deep skin blister on the ball of my left foot. The wind was getting a bit keener too - a damn sight keener than me by then that was for sure :lol: :lol:

But Creag Pitridh was calling. I was starting to resent the fact that this little hill was over the magical 3,000 foot mark and that Mr Munro had afforded it Munro status. Given that there had been no change to its status since 1891 I wasn't expecting any change soon, so it was onwards and onwards.

Actually, the path up this final hill of the day was a great tonic for my aching limbs. It had the feel of a real hill path as it made its way to the final summit of the day and despite being knackered enthusiasm levels received a late boost up to the summit :D It had been tough, but I had managed to bag all three :D
DSCF7844.JPG
Creag Pitridh summit cairn

DSCF7849.JPG
View from Creag Pitridh 1

DSCF7850.JPG
View from Creag Pitridh 2

DSCF7851.JPG
View from Creag Pitridh 3

The descent from Creag Pitridh was an easy, gentle trek along a path down the south west ridge (until I lost it :? ). Then it was just an easy trek over the grass back to the stalkers path and back to the car via Lochan na h-Earba, which is such a tranquil spot you could lose yourself there for ages 8)
DSCF7866.JPG
Lochan na h-Earba

This was a good long walk. Technically not difficult, but the length (17 miles) and the terrain (a lot of boulders and big rocks) made for a tough day in the hills. Sure, my knees know all about it today, but all the same I loved it 8) :D 8) :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: Sunshine in Ardverikie Forest

Postby ChrisW » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:17 am

Cracking good read PeteR, congratulations on a bloody long walk :shock: love the views from Creag Pitridh with No.3 being my favourite. Really enjoyed this - thanks :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Bruadair » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:57 am

Great report Peter...............some cracking photo's....love the idyllic setting shot.

Regards...................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby PeteR » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:21 pm

ChrisW wrote:Cracking good read PeteR, congratulations on a bloody long walk :shock: love the views from Creag Pitridh with No.3 being my favourite. Really enjoyed this - thanks :D

Thanks Chris. It was a good walk this one. Haven't had the best of winters, but have really enjoyed getting out these last few weeks and stretching my legs. Fitness is certainly getting back, so here's to many more long spring and summer days on the hills in 2011 :D 8)
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:23 pm

Bruadair wrote:Great report Peter...............some cracking photo's....love the idyllic setting shot.

Regards...................B

Thanks Bruadair. I'm a bit click happy on the hills, so it's always hard to choose which pictures to post. Not sure I'd get away with posting the 130 + I took on this walk :lol: :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby jools » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:30 pm

Ahh, your name is Peter...... forgot to ask when we met you as you descended your 1st Munro. Glad you managed your target for the day, especially after getting beaten back in the early winter months.

Did you get any nice snow filled views that day when you first attempted that round.?

Any how, i think we all scored on the sunday weather wise, Your pictures are proof of that. Your 1st pic is nice but strange, if there was any less snow on the hill you would think there was nothing there . A ghost hill!

Good that you say your fitness is getting there, that suggests you are already in the planning for your next chapter. :D

Nice meeting you, shame we never talked for longer.

Dave Julie and Wilson.
jools
Munro compleatist

Munros:195   Corbetts:71
Fionas:21   Donalds:3

Postby PeteR » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:26 pm

jools wrote:Ahh, your name is Peter...... forgot to ask when we met you as you descended your 1st Munro. Glad you managed your target for the day, especially after getting beaten back in the early winter months.

Did you get any nice snow filled views that day when you first attempted that round.?

Any how, i think we all scored on the sunday weather wise, Your pictures are proof of that. Your 1st pic is nice but strange, if there was any less snow on the hill you would think there was nothing there . A ghost hill!

Good that you say your fitness is getting there, that suggests you are already in the planning for your next chapter. :D

Nice meeting you, shame we never talked for longer.

Dave Julie and Wilson.

Thanks Jools. It was good to meet the three of you o the hills. I know what you mean about that first picture - it was something of a surprise to me too when I got back home and looked at my photies. I think the haze certainly helped make that one. Definitely more long days planned, but not on the same scale as you, Dave and Wilson. Haven't quite plucked up the courage to invest in a tent and all the equipment yet. Maybe one day I will take the plunge :?
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby warbietoo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:35 pm

Superb report & pics.

warbietoo
Munro compleatist

Munros:49   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby monty » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi Peter.
Nice set of pictures. That sounded like a tough ascent and after doing it today I agree hahaha. Missed this report somehow. :D
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland