walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A morning mountain meander on Ben Vorlich(Loch Earn)

A morning mountain meander on Ben Vorlich(Loch Earn)

Postby nathan79 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 12/04/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 835m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Making the most of what i hoped to be a sunny Tuesday off, i'd debated Ben Lomond, An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin, and Ben Vorlich and Suc a'Chroin. Ruled Ben Lomond out because i wanted to bag a double, and Decided on Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin since that pair were closer, and i'd aborted Ben Vorlich in November due to ice.

I actually managed to haul myself out of bed at a decent time and set off for Loch Earn Shortly after 7am. Promising outlook, breezy but blue skies. Parked up at Ardvorlich before 9 and ready to set off just after. There was just my car and one other belonging to a couple who set off as i was parking up.
2011_04120062.JPG
Ben Vorlich from the lochside

It was looking a lot more welcoming than on my November visit. Could clearly see the path up from a distance.
This one was as much for fitness as it was fun, so i tried to keep a decent pace. I'd managed to resume my regular cardio since struggling up Cairn Gorm last month and i could feel the difference, still plenty huffing and puffing though.

A disappointing lack of wildlife to be seen, aside from sheep and noisy cows(seemingly moo-ing in annoyance at the noise from the work on the hydro-electric project) all i spotted was lapwings, finches and a single grouse.
2011_04120067.JPG
Spot the grouse. Although for all i know it could've been called something else.....

Pressed on up. It was far easier on a path that wasn't topped with ice. Clear enough skies at this point. Good views to the Lawers range.
2011_04120064.JPG
Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers

A fairly strong breeze from the west when i got higher up and out of the shelter of Ben Our. Still nice blue sky to the east, but i could see this coming from the west. The couple who'd set off shortly before me didn't hang about at teh top and headed straight back down while there was only wind to contend with.
2011_04120069.JPG
impending doom and gloom

Once i saw that it turned into a race to the top to beat the cloud. I lost. Couldn't see the loch down below or the summit above. Lower down I'd been wishing i'd taken the shoftshell option before i left the house, but i was glad i'd gone for the gore-tex when the weather came in. Horizontal snow reared it's ugly head.
2011_04120070.JPG
Loch Earn is somewhere under those clouds.

Reached the summit a little after 11. Visibility wasn't too bad at the top initially The summit cairn was clearly visible from the trig point.
2011_04120071.JPG
Summit cairn from trig point.

2011_04120072.JPG
Summit cairn

This is how the trig point looked from the summit. The wind driven snow was battering straight into my face. Like i said at teh beginning, i had intended on doing Stuc a'Chroin, but in light of what the weather was like when i was up high i decided to leave it for another day.
2011_04120074.JPG
Trig point? What trig point?

I was glad i'd set off as early as i did, I had the summit to myself but when i could see down lower on the hill there were a good number of people on the way up. I met a trio a short way down from the trig point, i think two of them were regretting opting for shorts. The sun was trying to shine through when they were getting on top.
2011_04120076.JPG
Come on Sol! You can do it!

I don't think i've ever felt so good coming down off a hill. I was buzzing and virtually skipping down. Aside from a few brief showers weather was largely blue skies again until i got to my car so i snapped a few more pics.
2011_04120078.JPG
Cloud creeping over the summit.

2011_04120080.JPG
Loch Earn and Lawers in the distance

Met so many people on there way up. Fromteh 2 cars when i set off there was now over a dozen. having not stopped for a munch i was starving and glad to get back to my car. I'd just settled on a perch by the loch to watch my boots and gaiters and enjoy a coffee when the rain came back. Ate my lunch in the car then headed home. Satisfied with that time of 3 and a half hours. I briefly tempted doing something smaller on the but quickly came to my senses.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable day, even if i missed out on doin Stuc a'Chroin.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Re: A morning mountain meander on Ben Vorlich(Loch Earn)

Postby Stretch » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Not bad my friend. Cool pic of the snow blowing toward you on the summit. You can always do the Stuc from the other side now. The image of you skipping down the hill would have been a sight! :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby kinley » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Nice wind driven snow pic 8)

Tends to be a busy hill - good mixed weather spring day by the looks 8)
kinley

Postby mband » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:35 pm

Good to see you made it this time, shame you never got the views. Hopefully it'll be better when you go back to do Stuc a' Chroin. :D I need to go back as well as it was a bit too snowy when I went up and I was knackered, need to improve my fitness, getting there though.
mband

Munros:210   Corbetts:41
Fionas:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:23

Postby Jockstar » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:41 pm

Good one to get under your belt Nathan and its on our list to do. Didn't fancy it after a few of the guys said it was a bit tricky in the winter. Don't think my soft spikes would do the job..lol. :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Certainly had some mixed weather - and you got some nice photos - well done :D

As stretch says, you could always tackle Stuc a Chroin along with Beinn Each from the Loch Lubnaig side with some nice views. :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:04 am

Love the "Come on Sol! You can do it!" pic - shows there is a lot more to mountain photography than the usual wide angle panoramas :D .

nathan79 wrote:I actually managed to haul myself out of bed at a decent time

Letting the side down Nathan :thumbdown: - won't catch me doing that :oops: ;) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:46 am

Great report nathan79 - I think that must have been Gary the grouse as Spot the grouse lives over by Lochnagar :lol:

Love the pic of the horizontal snow :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:29 am

Cracking pics Nathan, especially the wind driven snow. Just shows how weather can change up there, did the pair on Sunday and got a wee suntan
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby nathan79 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:57 pm

Cheers for the comments folks
I don't mind having to go back and do Stuc a'Chroin on it's own. It's close enough to home and the scrambling looks like fun. Wouldn't suprise me if i revisited these two a lot of times in the future.

I must say though, i hope that's the last time for a good few months that i have to deal with snow bullets.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby GillC » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:39 am

Hi,,got these two planned for this Saturday,,hoping for a good dry day, want to complete the two as that will take me into dble figs for my Munro's. Precursor to the WHW next week too.
Smashing pics and a great lesson in the ever changing weather conditions. (men in shorts, in April, in Scotland at 3000ft ha!)

Gill
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby GillC » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:40 pm

GillC wrote:Hi,,got these two planned for this Saturday,,hoping for a good dry day, want to complete the two as that will take me into dble figs for my Munro's. Precursor to the WHW next week too.
Smashing pics and a great lesson in the ever changing weather conditions. (men in shorts, in April, in Scotland at 3000ft ha!)

Gill

23/4 Made it,,check my link,,,fantastic day of bad and then great weather,,
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland