walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Luss Classic

The Luss Classic

Postby Craiging619 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:51 pm

Route description: Doune Hill and Beinn Eich, from Luss

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Dubh, Beinn Eich, Cruach an t-Sidhein, Doune Hill

Date walked: 09/04/2011

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 20.5 km

Ascent: 1700m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It's been almost six months since my last hillwalk, so I figured it was about time to get back into the swing of things now the weather's picking up again. My last attempt at these hills ended in disappointment when a friend and I had to turn back at the summit of Beinn Eich amidst appalling conditions, and I was determined to return soon and complete the round of the four Grahams around Glen Mollochan. Yesterday I caught the Citylink bus up to Luss and set off at 9.30, with the whole day ahead of me. Unlike last time, conditions got steadily better rather than worse! 8)

DSC00717.JPG
Beinn Eich from the roadside at Edentaggart. A stile and signpost point the way to Beinn Eich just before the farm.

DSC00718.JPG
Immediately, a great view opens up down Glen Luss to Loch Lomond and Conic Hill.

DSC00725.JPG
Just like last time, the path was lost after the second drystone wall, but by turning North and finding the ridge line, it was regained.

DSC00729.JPG
In 1hr 10mins the summit of Beinn Eich was reached. The cloud finally started to break at this point, giving a bird's eye of Glen na Caorainn to the South.

DSC00747.JPG
From Beinn Eich I followed a faint path along the ridge to a col at 544m, then stayed roughly level to reach for the 515m col between Beinn Lochain and Cruach an t-Sídhean.

DSC00742.JPG
In about 20 minutes from the col, the summit of Cruac an t-Sídhean is reached. The views open out to Loch Long, Faslane and Cowal to the West.

DSC00745.JPG
A great view across to the next summit, Doune Hill.

DSC00749.JPG
I returned to the col and climbed Beinn Lochain before turning North just before the summit and aiming for the trig point of Doune Hill, the highest of the Luss Hills.

DSC00760.JPG
A short descent North-East to a col reveals the last summit, Beinn Dubh, to the East.

DSC00763.JPG
The long descent down this gully to Glen Mollochan was, surprisingly, the least pleasant part of the day. Conditions were muddy and, when combined with the steepness, meant I was bound to fall over at some point. At least no-one was watching.

DSC00770.JPG
After escaping the gully and wandering through hummocky grass for what seemed like forever, I steadied myself for the long final push up Beinn Dubh. Thankfully, the ridge was so steep that height was gained quickly and views opened out again over Glen Mollochan.

DSC00773.JPG
Doune Hill from the West ridge of Beinn Dubh.

DSC00776.JPG
With much relief, the final Graham of the day was bagged, affording great views to the North to The Cobbler and the Arrochar Alps.

DSC00790.JPG
The Eastern ridge of Beinn Dubh heads towards Loch Lomond before dropping sharply towards Luss.

DSC00792.JPG
An amazing view over Inverbeg and the loch to Ben Lomond.

DSC00794.JPG
The Northern part of the loch is visible through the haze.

DSC00798.JPG
From the subsidary (642m) top of Beinn Dubh, a good path descends the South-Eastern ridge to Luss. The views of the loch here were breathtaking, and rounded off a great day magnificently.

DSC00801.JPG

DSC00802.JPG

DSC00803.JPG

DSC00804.JPG

DSC00805.JPG

DSC00808.JPG

DSC00809.JPG
I wanted to make the 7pm bus to Balloch, so ended up having to jog down the hill to the bridge at Luss. Not too easy after four mountains!
Last edited by Craiging619 on Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Munros:70   Corbetts:34
Fionas:40   Donalds:42+14
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

Re: The Luss Classic

Postby GraemeMac » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:17 pm

Looks like a great day. A good way to get great views of the loch without the crowds of people, like on ben lomond
GraemeMac

Munros:32   Corbetts:11
Fionas:8   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:37   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:04 pm

great report & some real atmosphere in some of those pics :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby IainWhite » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:03 pm

great report, and the pics are good to, looks like a bit off a treck :D
IainWhite

Munros:11   Corbetts:1

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:16 am

Great report, thats a tough walk after a 6 month lay off. Been up most of the Luss hills as they are just 20 mins up the road, the descent off Doune hill really is a bugger :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland