walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain and The Cobbler

Beinn Narnain and The Cobbler

Postby Dunfie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:58 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 12/04/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 15 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've been meaning to take Cameron and Mrs D up here for a while now. I worked out that it was about 28 years since I was last up so it was well past the time to pay a visit.

I really wanted to go straight up from the Succoth car park past the Narnain Boulders and up onto Narnain itself. The description was for some light scrambling and we were comfortable with that. However as we drove up Loch Lomond side we saw a fair dusting of snow in Ben Lomond so thought that it might be a bit trickier at the top when approaching from the south east so we changed the plan to follow the path up between Narnain and The Cobbler and then ascend Beinn Narnain from the bealach, come back down and then up The Cobbler. The overall walk was longer but it removed any doubt.

We got to Succoth at 9am and were greeted by a heavy shower so we just sat in the car for a few minutes to let it pass. The sun came out and it turned into a lovely fresh morning. We were soon off and enjoying the views across the valley and down Loch Long.

As we got to the top of the trees we saw our first glimpse of The Cobbler.

Soon we were on the main path running between our targetted conquests when we started to see some clouds flirting with The Cobbler.

Soon The Cobbler disappeared behind some hail and snow and then begin to hunt down Narnain (this quickly disappeared too).

For the next five minutes we were exposed to a very heavy shower. I was beginning to get some looks from Cameron to suggest turning back but to be honest I didn't think his heart was in it so once rain stopped we were back on our way. It wasn't long until we were getting some amazing views of The Cobbler that made it all worth while.

We got the bealach but didn't hang around as we wanted to get up Narnain and be back down before lunch. We did catch a nice shot of Beinn Ime on the way up.

Pressing up to the top the wind was getting a bit stronger so we just stopped for the pictures and then back down.

Cameron on Beinn Narnain with the Cobbler in the background.

Cameron and his old Dad on Ben Narnain

The Cobbler from Beinn Narnain

Ben Lomond from Beinn Narnain

We were fortunate as we managed to get back down to the bealach for lunch just as another hail and snow storm came rushing in. We sheltered behind the rocks at the bottom of the steps up The Cobbler. Again it all passed quite quickly and we headed up for the final push of the day.

We made good progress on the way up but stopped a few times to chat to some who were on their way down (good chance to catch our breath). I have to admit that when we got to the top the scale of the drops over the cliffs made me quite dizzy. I was equally in awe and quite spooked by the mountain. It was really worth the effort but I wasn't for hanging around too long.

We got to the car just after 3 after a fantastic day. I won't be leaving it 28 years before I go back to the Arrochar Alps.
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:132   Islands:5

Re: Beinn Narnain and The Cobbler

Postby Bruadair » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi Dunfie,

Some good photo's.....I did these two back in November and really enjoyed the day..............did Narnain via Spearhead and loved it...it's great hill..................well done to young Cameron, the walk in via Coire a' Bhalachain and Narnain Boulders is long and tiring, but you get great views of the Cobbler.

Regards...................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Great report and some stunning pics, looks to be some great views all along the walk :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby monty » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:09 pm

Excellent report Dunfie. Some top pictures as well. Great to get the young lad walking on some good hills. :D
monty

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:28 pm

Love the Cobbler. There's just something about the look of this hill, I can't put my finger on it (I must make the effort and visit.) Cracking pictures, cheers. Fab walk :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby PeteR » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:48 pm

Great report and pics. The Cobbler is simply the best - what the hills are about for me. Looks like you had great weather too, which is good to see. Thanks for posting :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Dunfie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:57 am

Thanks folks, it was a good day and Cameron did well getting up both hills (he now has them ticked off on his wall chart). 8)

Bruadair wrote:
Some good photo's.....I did these two back in November and really enjoyed the day..............did Narnain via Spearhead and loved it...it's great hill..................well done to young Cameron, the walk in via Coire a' Bhalachain and Narnain Boulders is long and tiring, but you get great views of the Cobbler.

That looks like a good challenge so we plan to do it this way when we do it next time.
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:132   Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland