walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

i say shabeer, ...

i say shabeer, ...

Postby tomyboy73 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:56 pm

Route description: Beinn Chabhair, from Inverarnan

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Chabhair

Date walked: 10/04/2011

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1296m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I say shabeer, you say chavar, however it`s pronounced this munro provided a great day out for myself, my mate Jim and,for his first munro, my 14 year old son Tom. Jim just decided to come at the last minute after an agonisingly sleepless night trying to decide whether to come with us or spend this beautiful day waiting in all day for an electrician to fit his new shower. Tom`s been asking to come out with me for a while now and whilst I usually leave him snoring in bed he wasn`t getting his lie in today. I`d planned the walk on friday night, choosing it because it was the closest one to home that i hadn`t tried yet, with the price of petrol these days thats the tactic i`m sticking to when planning my walks.
We parked and left the Drovers at 10.30 and walked around Beinglas campsite and instead of following the path directly behind the site we crossed over the bridge and follwed the path up south of the waterfalls hoping for a better view of them. It was the right way to go as we climbed up through the forest to see the huge drop to the bottom of the falls.
005.JPG
bottom of ben glas falls

We followed the waterfall about 3/4 of the way up and found a safe place to cross to the main path.
015.JPG
ben glas waterfall

019.JPG
across the waterfall

Not to be forgotten here is that`s a steep climb up and it was getting really hot (hopefully there`s many more of these days to come) and i was wondering how Tom would handle it, as there was still a long way to go. The path then follows the burn up a less steep side of the slope until it eventually evens out with Ben Glas standing over to your left for the rest of the walk to Lochan Beinn Chabhair.
031.JPG
Ben Glas

About 12 oclock we stopped by the burn for some grub and splashed about a bit in the welcome cold water before heading off again. Tom was doing fine and was really enjoying the walk.
029.JPG
Tom & Jim in ben glas burn

032.JPG
anyone know what this is ?

As we neared the lochan we caught up with another couple of walkers, Jude & Julie, and walked to the water together. They were pretty glad we met up with them as although they`d done a few munros they were relatively inexperienced(listen to bear grylls here !) and just wanted reassurance they were on the right track, we were kinda hoping they would do the same for us :lol: As it turned out we had a good laugh with them as we shared various parts of the walk, and meeting like minded people on days like this only adds to the outdoor experience. After checking the map, yes i used a map and compass this day, we left the girls at the bottom of Meall nan Tarmachan and found the path up looking over the lochan and back over to parlan hill.
034.JPG
lochan beinn chabhair and parlan hill (the devil`s hill?)

Parts of the path towards here are only a bit boggy but once up onto the ridge its mostly fine if a bit rocky, but hey it`s a mountain, it`s scotland, it rains. The path rises up and down and twist and turns and is a really enjoyable walk, especially on a day like this where we have a clear blue sky, even if it is a bit hazy blocking any great views of far off mountains but there was still stunning scenery around us.
044.JPG
An Caisteal

The path is reasonably safe with only a couple of short scrambles as you near the top. We reached the top at about 2.15 and spent half an hour up there having lunch and sharing the views with Jude & Julie (2 new recruits to walkhighlands i hope :) ) and a hungry crow who joined us for some chargrilled chicken pasta.
047.JPG
Jim and Tom reach the summit

050.JPG
crow

052.JPG
looking back over lochan

054.JPG
an caisteal, ben more, stob binien, cruach adrain ?

Now as i was pouring over the various reports of this walk, mountainstar i think it was, kept popping up and recommending a visit to Lochan a` Chaisteil high up on BenGlass if you were up here, so this is where we headed for next.
062.JPG
walking back

After our close encounter with the crow i then bumped into another bird as i lagged behind "tough of the track" Jim and the sprightly 14 year old legs of Tom. A ptarmigan was just sitting in the grass and he let me get close enough to get a good couple of pics before i left him alone again.
061.JPG
ptarmigan

It looked a simple enough walk to the other lochan, much the same as chabair in the way you were up and down over the hills,, but a lot more boggy as there was no defined path. It was certainly worth going to though, as we approached the huge rock face at the end of the lochan we heard the calls of some kind of hawk sitting on the top of it. We kept our eye on it and watched as it took off and dived down the side of the hill, probably toward some unexpecing prey.
067.JPG
there`s a hawk perched up there

069.JPG
lochain a` chaisteil 1

We stopped in wonder as Lochain a` Chaisteil appeared in front of our eyes. It really is beautiful mountainstar and i wish we could have stayed there for longer, but with water supplies running out and having a 14 year old with us we baid farewell to this hidden little beauty spot and topped Meall mor nan Eag before heading down the rather steep gully back to the burn. It was a fine walk back in the sun and we ended our day with a quick visit to the Drovers Inn for a well deserved pint and a coke. Really pleased my son enjoyed the day out and would recommend this hill of the hawk,(or crow, or ptarmigan or even jay birds) to anyone especially on a sunny day.
081.JPG
Bear

links to everytrail
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1040395
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1040160

thanks for reading
Last edited by tomyboy73 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: i say shabeer, ...

Postby yokehead » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:39 pm

Great report and photos, love your route alongside the river with the waterfalls. Big congrats to Tom on his 1st Munro! :D
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:55 pm

Great report and some cracking pics, but that last one registers a 9.0 on the weird-sh*t-o'meter :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:17 pm

thanks guys.
Chris, have you never been in the Drovers ? or was it the T-shirt ? :lol: there`s all sort of stuffed animals in there, even a shark !
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:35 pm

tomyboy73 wrote:thanks guys.
Chris, have you never been in the Drovers ? or was it the T-shirt ? :lol: there`s all sort of stuffed animals in there, even a shark !

Never been in there mate, the T-shirt is fine but wtf is going on with the room full of weird stuff......looks like a flea market :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby tomyboy73 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:01 pm

ChrisW wrote:
tomyboy73 wrote:thanks guys.

Never been in there mate, the T-shirt is fine but wtf is going on with the room full of weird stuff......looks like a flea market :shock:

Chris you have to see the place to believe it, there`s stuffed everything everywhere. I don`t think they ever even clean the place :lol: but it is well known for it`s good atmosphere and you have to visit it at least once, and the food`s not bad either
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Juliejjot » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:29 pm

Hi Tom, Jim and Thomas, great report and great pics, a reminder of the fab day we had and all the more enjoyable for meeting you guys. Thanks for the mention. Julie & Jude (the girls!!) :)
Juliejjot
Mountain Walker

Munros:10   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1

Postby tomyboy73 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:45 pm

Juliejjot wrote:Hi Tom, Jim and Thomas, great report and great pics, a reminder of the fab day we had and all the more enjoyable for meeting you guys. Thanks for the mention. Julie & Jude (the girls!!) :)

Hi Julie, how u doin ? thanks. got anything planned this weekend ?
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Jock McJock » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:26 am

Nice reprt, done this one last year on much the same kind of day you got and really enjoyed it. Some nice pics there too :)
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby csjoiner » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:53 am

great report can;t wait to go
csjoiner
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Juliejjot » Mon May 02, 2011 12:08 pm

tomyboy73 wrote:
Juliejjot wrote:Hi Tom, Jim and Thomas, great report and great pics, a reminder of the fab day we had and all the more enjoyable for meeting you guys. Thanks for the mention. Julie & Jude (the girls!!) :)

Hi Julie, how u doin ? thanks. got anything planned this weekend ?[/quote

Hi Tommy, we took a walk (per your recommendation) up Beinn an Lochain yesterday; blue skies and sunshine all the way. Gusts were strong so 'very' scary at times but we were un-deterred. Enjoyed the wonderful views and a great pinic lunch, in a much welcomed sheltered & sunny spot. A great hill and a great day. Also did the Cobbler on Friday (another great day out). Maybe spot you on a hill sometime! :)
Juliejjot
Mountain Walker

Munros:10   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1

Postby Paula Hubens » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:13 pm

Very nice pictures Jim! Having read your report I now definitely must return to Beinn Chabhair and try the route you did. Lochan An Caisteal looks lovely!
Paula Hubens

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland